Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anyone Have a Vegtable garden? >

Anyone Have a Vegtable garden?

Anyone Have a Vegtable garden?

Old 06-11-2010, 04:59 PM

I scaled my garden way back this year because I still have purplehull peas and green beans in the freezer and home-canned tomatoes I need to use. Rabbits have eaten a row of the beans I planted this year. It looks like they would be scared off by all my dogs. I think the dogs think the rabbits are my pets.

I planted 25 strawberry plants last year and picked about 18 gallons of berries this year. My thornless blackberries are bearing well, the fig trees are loaded and the muscadines are growing.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:49 AM
Power Poster

Whoa! Thats a lotta strawberries! I love muscadine jam...what do you do with yours?
Old 06-12-2010, 06:32 AM

I like to freeze muscadines whole and take them out a bowl at the time and just eat them. After freezing, the hulls are tender enough to eat. Nothing chills you to the bone better than eating a bowl of frozen muscadines! I also like muscadine hull pies, but don't make them. I live alone and fight my weight. Mother and her sisters made wonderful hull pies, but that generation is all gone now.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:00 AM
Power Poster

Okay, you guys, whats a muscadine??? Yes, I could look it up, but on my old dial up it might take HHHHOOOUUURRRSSS, its so slow, lol!
Old 06-12-2010, 08:01 AM
Power Poster

O, being nosey again, Champagnolle, what kind of dog is that. Its just adorable, so patient looking..........
Old 06-12-2010, 09:09 AM

Muscadines are Southern grapes. They don't grow in bunches like store-bought grapes. They make the best jelly in the world.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
O, being nosey again, Champagnolle, what kind of dog is that. Its just adorable, so patient looking..........
My avatar is Henry, a true South Arkansas Road Dog. He came up to my gate one rainy April after being dumped out on the road. Henry died last month from a fungal infection in his lungs. I miss him a lot. He was such a clown. He made me laugh every day.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:26 AM

Well...........I have a nice little garden plot, and it's full of wonderful veggies: green beans, tomatoes, cukes, peppers, squash, kale, beets, carrots, radishes, chives, lemon thyme, shallots. Oh, wait!!! The plot is real........the rest is in my imagination! :cry: Maybe next year. :oops: I do have things growing there: chives, lemon thyme, rhubarb and an assortment of greens (aka weeds). 8-)
Old 06-12-2010, 11:13 AM
Power Poster

Aw, so sorry to hear about Henry. he was really cute!
Pab 58, maybe you could just grow a few things in pots if you want. My tomaoes, lettuce and spinach are all in pots and doing well.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:59 PM

We started our Square Foot Gardening garden like we had in Colorado this year, so we onlly have two containers built. One is 4' x 4' and has 3 Holy Land tomatoes, some carrots, and two Cherry tomato plants.
The next bed is 4' x 8' and has carrots, and three kinds of tomatoes. That's as far as we got before we ran out of money to build containers till next payday. Still not too late to start some other things around here. Been cool enough it will be ok. Have had teh rain to help it along, too.

No Japanese Beetles so far. Guess the Guinea and chickens are keeping them at bay. Have bookoo perennials to finish planting sometime this week; Shasta Daisies, Peony, Rudbeckia, Iris, Columbine, raspberries, Burning bush, bayberry bushes, etc. Bought most at the plant sale a few weeks ago.