Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anyone Have a Vegtable garden? >

Anyone Have a Vegtable garden?

Anyone Have a Vegtable garden?

Old 06-30-2010, 03:32 PM
Banned

it is 2 weeks since anyone posted how is everyone's garden doing?????????????? tomato worms get to some of my tomato plants, I killed the 2 buggers and all seems well. My banana peppers are great I have 4 (not a lot but enough for DD and me) that should be ready to pick some time next week. There are more but they are tiny. The romain bolted from the heat but the beets look OK the tops wilted but the beets themselves are small but still growing. Squash has lots of yellow flowers but so far no squash can be seen. onions didn't take they drowned from all the rain. the herbs are holding their own nothing big and special.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:08 PM

Thanks for the update. Our garden is beautiful and some weeds. Peas in the freewzer. Planted green beans where the peas were. Lettuce and spinach still good. Kohlrabi is sweet and juicey, Beets are growing good. Peppers are growing along with the cabbage and tomatoes. Squash is looking promising. Plant to plan to plant broccli and cauliflower seeds in a few days, that makes a nice fall crop and a lot less bugs and worms. If I have any pea seed left I will plant them also. Will plant some pumpkin after the 4th of july. If we plant them before that the bugs just distroy them. This is the first year I have tried herbs they are doing good I am learning how to use them fresh. Like to walk by them and the aroma from them is just real special. I really enjoy our garden can you tell!!!
Old 06-30-2010, 04:52 PM

I had thought to post a pic of our garden, but it has been so wet, we haven't been able to get in to weed for at least two weeks so needless to say, the weeds are winning for now. :( Even with all the rain, we do have a good showing of veggie growth. Beans, carrots, beets, onions, cabbage, tomatoes, various squash, cukes, assorted peppers, and peas. We are away for the long weekend, so the weeds will have a few more days' grace 'til we get home. ;) DH picked the first banana pepper yesterday. Oh!!! and I picked fresh raspberries after work on Monday. Boy!!!! were those good on our brekky!!!

Patti
Old 07-01-2010, 05:22 AM
Power Poster

I'm having some great luck and also some weird things happen this year. I've put up about 85 ears of corn so far and the later corn crop is coming along nicely. We've been eating tomatoes for a few weeks and this morning I picked about a half a bucket (for the 1st time..so they will oerwhelm us soon)..I've picked, put up and given away quite a bit of yellow squash and the cucs are putting out really well. The squash is dying now due to heat, but thats typical.

The weird thing is this...the green beans are LOADED with blooms...I mean LOADED...but no beans...whats up with that??? I have picked enough to have 1 mess (thats Southern for 1 pot full)...since then I've picked maybe 3 beans each day. :?:
Old 07-01-2010, 05:47 AM

I could not live without my large garden, especially since we live in the mountains of eastern Oregon, where sometimes snow keeps us trapped in the winter.. I can most of my produce, or freeze - so if I am too busy staying warm, I have at least veggies to eat! This spring/ summer so far has been wet/ cold, and everything is late blooming/growing.. but it hopefully will pick up, and I will harvest the bounty I have planted.. yea!
Old 07-01-2010, 06:12 AM
Banned

It seems eveyone has such nice BIG gardens, how I wish I did but I guess I should be happy that I have containers on my deck. I live on 1/4 acrea of property large enough to have enough veggies to can but I can't do it alone. There is the green market that opens in the summer so I hope I can get veggies from ther to can. I make a wonderful relish, it is never exactly the same as I chane the amount of veggies to what I have on hand not what the recipe calls for. I will have to get it out and post it.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:18 PM

Wish I did, but hubby retired in feb.07. next day found a patio home we loved moved July 07. so never got to have the big garden we had planned. i got to retire may 08. were loving every minute of it. but would like a garden.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JACRN
Wish I did, but hubby retired in feb.07. next day found a patio home we loved moved July 07. so never got to have the big garden we had planned. i got to retire may 08. were loving every minute of it. but would like a garden.
why don't you do container gardening that is what I am doing. It is not what I would like but I can't do a big garden on my own. I have tomatoes, peppers, squash and beets now. It is too hot and they bolted but I had romine and spinach which I will replant when it cools. it is not too late do fast growing crops like lettuce and green onions (I forgot I have those too) I don't know why but I love to look on the deck and see all the veggies growing. I forgot I had bean seeds I will start those in a few weeks so they will be harvested in the fall. Oh you could do herbs they are fun I have pots on the decka nd in the house.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:54 PM

Noticed my Cherry tomatoes are about the size of my big toe. I covered them so the chickens don't get to them before I do. I also planted a yellow squash and a zucchini.
Can't wait until I eat that first tomato. Ummm, good.

Although not in my garden, picked about 40 # of blueberries in the last two weeks. Blackberries are next to pick.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:57 PM

I do have some tomatoes snd herbs, but our soil is the pits. we live off of I64 and even with a privacy fence the traffic keeps it so windy every thing dries out so quickly. thanks for your response.