Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anyone Have a Vegtable garden? >

Anyone Have a Vegtable garden?

Anyone Have a Vegtable garden?

Old 06-11-2010, 06:31 AM

We planted a garden again this year. It is a raised garden. 12 tomatoes, 7 cukes,8 green peppers,3 zucchini,2 eggplants & 10 broccoli plants.
Hope everyone gets lots of veggies this year!!
Old 06-11-2010, 06:33 AM

Oh my!!!!I just looked at the date of the last post and it is LAST YEAR. Well,I always say I am a day late & a dollar short!
Old 06-11-2010, 06:48 AM
Power Poster

Patti....you must have enough to share with your entire town!! Thats a lotta stuff to plant and take care of!!! Ours puts out a lot and it is tiny...thank goodness...had to go out this morning and prop all the corn back up as it blew down last night in a storm. It is all tasseled out though!

And Jean...you aren't late on this thread..it wasn't started until the first part of June THIS YEAR...2010. Your eyes must have crossed when you looked. :lol:
Old 06-11-2010, 06:54 AM
Power Poster

Guess what I discovered this morning while weeding? Teeny baby zuchini already! Reminds me I promised to find my Zuchini chocloate cake recipe. I will look after work!
Old 06-11-2010, 07:17 AM
Power Poster

Yeah Carrie...I have a refrig shelf lined with them already...waiting for a good recipe! :lol: :lol:
Old 06-11-2010, 07:18 AM

When we started planting this HUGE garden, we did it with the intention of providing fresh veggies to the local food bank. They were SOOOO appreciative to get fresh stuff!! However, at that time, I was not working so spent my days in the garden, plus OFS, (Old Fart Syndrome), hadn't taken over so thoroughly as it has now. I am trying REALLY hard to get my DH to scale back. He loves working out there so much, it is hard for him to do so. He is finally realizing that he too, is not able to spend as much time as he would like before taking a break. :( So...we did plant less, and we will still have plenty to share. Maybe next year will be a bit smaller still. :D

Patti
Old 06-11-2010, 07:22 AM

My snap peas are about done, the weather is getting too hot for them. I have lots of small tomatoes, but they are still green. There are a few zuchinni out there, will need to check them today. What else? Tiny peppers, and lettuce that I have been picking. Only had 4 beets, think the ground is just too hard where I planted those seeds. I need to get beans in yet. Oh, have a few cuke plants, but not much happening with them yet.
I know it's cheaper to go buy at the Farmer's Market, but I just have to plant something each year. ha Our water bill is terrible here in the desert, so I'm trying to be water wise this year.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Pats8e8
My snap peas are about done, the weather is getting too hot for them. I have lots of small tomatoes, but they are still green. There are a few zuchinni out there, will need to check them today. What else? Tiny peppers, and lettuce that I have been picking. Only had 4 beets, think the ground is just too hard where I planted those seeds. I need to get beans in yet. Oh, have a few cuke plants, but not much happening with them yet.
I know it's cheaper to go buy at the Farmer's Market, but I just have to plant something each year. ha Our water bill is terrible here in the desert, so I'm trying to be water wise this year.
When my children were small we lived with a "shallow" well. Every summer the water level would get lower and lower as the water table dropped towards the end of August. I couldn't spare any water for the garden. I would truck the kids bath water out with buckets to keep the garden going. Ya do what ya gotta do!!! Good luck...I hope you can keep yours going.

Patti
Old 06-11-2010, 03:15 PM

For those interested in zucchini recipes, I found a really great zucchini brownie recipe on allrecipes.com. Its the recipe with chocolate frosting. I tried the recipe last summer and we just loved it!
Old 06-11-2010, 04:14 PM
Power Poster

Thanks..I'll have to go look that one up. :D