Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anyone Have a Vegtable garden? >

Anyone Have a Vegtable garden?

Anyone Have a Vegtable garden?

Old 06-08-2010, 08:26 PM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Originally Posted by sandpat
Eggplants are notorious for getting eaten by bugs. Dust them well and often with Sevin dust and you'll be fine.
I have some Sevin... thanks for the tip!
Old 06-09-2010, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa773
Originally Posted by Barbm

Last year stunk for tomatoes but we canned about 75 pints of pickles.
We got the dreaded cucumber beetle last year which killed all our cucs and then caused wilt disease on our tomatoes. Not a good season. I hope this season will be better. We have beetle traps, but there is not much we can do about the rain. The ground really needs to dry out a bit, but we're due for more rain (1" or more) tomorrow. sigh....
It's raining again!!!!! Ughh.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:03 AM
Power Poster

I've heard of frying the flowers...I wonder how fattening fried flowers are??? :shock: :lol: :lol:
Old 06-09-2010, 06:05 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Woodster

I'm afraid to can. I've just always frozen what we produce (which hasn't been a lot), but would love to expand and can if I weren't such a chicken!! Anyone have a fool-proof process that won't kill us???
If canning scares you, just do the "water bath" method instead of the pressure cooker. I'm been way too lazy to use the pressure cooker the last few years. I put up all of our tomatoes and tomato juice and also our jams and jellies using the "water bath". Its quick and easy.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:22 AM

I'm afraid to can. I've just always frozen what we produce (which hasn't been a lot), but would love to expand and can if I weren't such a chicken!! Anyone have a fool-proof process that won't kill us???
If canning scares you, just do the "water bath" method instead of the pressure cooker. I'm been way too lazy to use the pressure cooker the last few years. I put up all of our tomatoes and tomato juice and also our jams and jellies using the "water bath". Its quick and easy.
agreed. Anything with a high acid content (like fruit jams/jellies and tomatoes and pickles) can be safely canned in boiling water. It's the other stuff (veggies, meats, etc.) that requires a pressure cooker to get the higher temperatures necessary to kill botulism in a non-acid environment.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:50 AM

I'm ashamed to say this, but I will anyhow. My mom gave me a pressure cooker 8 years ago. I still haven't used it. Just a yellow-bellied chicken, I guess! So, what's a water bath??
Old 06-09-2010, 08:21 AM

I'm ashamed to say this, but I will anyhow. My mom gave me a pressure cooker 8 years ago. I still haven't used it. Just a yellow-bellied chicken, I guess! So, what's a water bath??
I agree with you Woodster. My Mom used a pressure cooker all the time when I was young and I still can't bring myself to use one. Call me a nervous nellie, but I'm just not brave enough. I prefer to freeze and my DH uses the water bath method for his salsa.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:06 AM

here: http://pubs.ext.vt.edu/348/348-594/348-594.html
Old 06-09-2010, 12:29 PM

I have only used my pressure cooker to cook Artichokes. I don't think I have ever used it to can.

I used to freeze all my tomato puree and stuff cause I have a big freezer and it was easier than canning.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:59 PM

I have a huge garden and love it. Had some problems with the beans this year (too much rain) so I need to replant and now I cannot find seeds. Very aggravating! But here is what is in now. Lettuce, radishes, onions, carrots, green beans, lima beans, okra, corn, potatoes, zuchinni, tomatoes, eggplants, cucumbers, peppers, watermelon and canteloupe. Will plant beets, turnips and another round of lettuce in the fall.

For anyone wanting to use a pressure canner, I would be happy to talk you through it. It is really no more dangerous than boiling water on the stove. They are built with safety mechanisms to protect you. It just takes a watchfull eye and they are handy as the dickens. I would freeze more but we just don't have the space, so I can most of what I grow. This year is a experiment in making claussen kosher dill pickles. I love those things nad they are just to darned expensive in the store.

Sheila