Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anyone Have a Vegtable garden? >

Anyone Have a Vegtable garden?

Anyone Have a Vegtable garden?

Old 07-19-2010, 05:00 PM

I have 3 different types of tomato, 3 green pepper (grown from seed), nothing yet, a sweet pepper that I have gotten 3 peppers so far, a jalepeno pepper that is just starting to bud. 2 squash, radishes, bush beans, corn. We have a makeshift greenhouse. We built it from wood and heavy plastic. It works great so far, but, I could live without the weeds. To hard to control. We also live in an area with a short growing season.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:08 PM
Power Poster

EagerBeez, for some reason I would have thought Arizona would have a LONG growing season. I suppose its too hot????? Ours is short too, lol, too cold!
Old 07-20-2010, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
EagerBeez, for some reason I would have thought Arizona would have a LONG growing season. I suppose its too hot????? Ours is short too, lol, too cold!
I live in the mountains, not near Pheonix. We live more towards the NM border. The White Mtns. It's different here, pine trees, aspen, all the things you find in rural mountainous areas. Believe it or not, we even get snow in the winter. Not much, but, we get some. Here is an example of our winters

Photo from my yard in winter
[ATTACH=CONFIG]73939[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-73934.jpe  
Old 07-29-2010, 09:49 AM
Banned

Ok so how is everyone elses garden doing?????????? I have 1 eggplant yet 2 HUGE BEAUTIFUL eggplant plants. 2 green bell peppers 1 I picked last night to put in salad tonight. HUGE BIG tomato plants and each plant has 4-6 tomatoes. There were tons of blossoms on all the plants but no veggies except the banana pepper plant. I had 1 plant and so far picked 8 peppers and there are lots of little ones still growing. What happened?????????? WHY NO VEGGIES??????????? I water every morning and evry night. I have feed and nurtured those plants and zippo, nada, nothing. I have green beans from the grcery I am making pickled green beans to can this afternoon. I made grape jelly, peach jam and blueberry jam yesterday, from store bought fruit. I have wild blackberry brambles, a huge patch, big beautiful and lush, not one blackberry. I am disapointed to say the least!!!!!!!!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:
Old 07-29-2010, 01:11 PM

We have lots of tomatos, cukes, peppers and this year we are doing melons. They are doing well this year but a lot of times the melons just won't ripen. Too humid here I guess. when we lived in Colorado we had fantastic melons.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by EagarBeez
I have 3 different types of tomato, 3 green pepper (grown from seed), nothing yet, a sweet pepper that I have gotten 3 peppers so far, a jalepeno pepper that is just starting to bud. 2 squash, radishes, bush beans, corn. We have a makeshift greenhouse. We built it from wood and heavy plastic. It works great so far, but, I could live without the weeds. To hard to control. We also live in an area with a short growing season.
We solved the weed problem. After you roto till and amend the soil if needed you put down the black weed block fabric. When you plant your plants cut a hole in the fabric and put the plant in. You will not have weeds and any that do creep up in the holes are easy to pull. We also put down Prevent . It stops everything from growing from seed, so no weeds. Of course if you are planting your veggies from seed you do not want to use it.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:56 PM

We also have a peach, pear, plum and apple tree. All have tons of fruit, but sometime the evil squirrels eat them all up before they are ready to pick.. Also my dogs will grab anything within "jumping" distance
Old 07-29-2010, 05:23 PM
Power Poster

Peachie....I have a theory on the "why NO veggies"....I think the bee problem has contributed greatly to all of our garden problems. I had this problem with my beans...tons of blooms...no beans. I planted a lot of Zinnias in the garden and I had been cutting them so I could enjoy them inside the house. I quit cutting them and left them in the garden to attract bees and since then...I have had lots of beans.

Early on this year, when I went to the garden I didn't see or hear anything buzzing around like you normally do. I don't know if this is right or not...but its my theory and I'm sticking to it. If it gets really bad...I guess I'll rent a hive! :shock:
Old 07-29-2010, 05:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sandpat
Peachie....I have a theory on the "why NO veggies"....I think the bee problem has contributed greatly to all of our garden problems. I had this problem with my beans...tons of blooms...no beans. I planted a lot of Zinnias in the garden and I had been cutting them so I could enjoy them inside the house. I quit cutting them and left them in the garden to attract bees and since then...I have had lots of beans.

Early on this year, when I went to the garden I didn't see or hear anything buzzing around like you normally do. I don't know if this is right or not...but its my theory and I'm sticking to it. If it gets really bad...I guess I'll rent a hive! :shock:

You could be right. This is only the second time I have planted veggies since moving to Ohio and the last one as the same. In NY I had a great garden but there were not farms around. This sounds crazy but I never see any bees in the summer, wasps yes bees no. However come fall and the farmers plow under the gardens then it is a free for all with bees they are all over the place. I think they stick to the farms where there are more blossoms in the spring and summer.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:01 PM
Power Poster

Next year, maybe plant some flowers along with the veggies to encourage the bees to come. I've been reading that bees are dying all over the world and it is a real problem. There is a couple around here who will rent you a beehive for the summer. They come tend them but will locate it on your property. I hope it doesn't come to that...but before I do all the garden work and get nothing....I'll most certainly rent one.