Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anyone Have a Vegtable garden? >

Anyone Have a Vegtable garden?

Anyone Have a Vegtable garden?

Old 07-19-2010, 06:56 AM

Amazon, what a HUGE garden you have! I'm so jealous, LOL My DH wanted gourds so I bought a packet of seeds but never got them planted. I have no way to til up a bed so I'm limited in what/where I can put things out. I'm just too old, and it's been too hot to do it by hand/hoe. Maybe next year a tiller will be in the budget, hopefully.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:11 AM

:oops:
Old 07-19-2010, 07:12 AM
Power Poster

Amazon, you have a beautiful garden! Mines SO weedy!
Old 07-19-2010, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Melinda in Tulsa
Amazon, what a HUGE garden you have! I'm so jealous, LOL My DH wanted gourds so I bought a packet of seeds but never got them planted. I have no way to til up a bed so I'm limited in what/where I can put things out. I'm just too old, and it's been too hot to do it by hand/hoe. Maybe next year a tiller will be in the budget, hopefully.
We have a large front tine tiller, way too heavy to handle and it needs a part, so DH plowed everything with his Super A tractor, that was the last time too, from here on out, it will have to be hoed :cry: may have to get that part for the tiller. It takes everybit that we get to feed 6 thru the winter, we try hard to eat home canned and homade stuff, no prepackaged for my spoiled bunch. And we have enough that we share the bounty too.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
Amazon, you have a beautiful garden! Mines SO weedy!
Thanks we really get into gardening here, don't know how long that will last with the kids, but I'll take all the help I can get, And thanks to DH and his Super A
Old 07-19-2010, 08:58 AM
Power Poster

Amazon...I bet that Super A made quick work of the garden. I'm looking into one of those little bitty tillers to use between my rows once the stuff starts growing. For now I use a manual "push" plow. Its really old, but works great!
Old 07-19-2010, 10:52 AM

VERY NICE!
Old 07-19-2010, 10:53 AM

YUMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-19-2010, 03:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sandpat
Peachie...banana peppers are not too hot...they mainly have a "flavor"..not just heat. Pick one and wash it good, then take a little nibble off the end to try it. If you cut it up, you can make sure there are no seeds in whatever you are doing with it and I think you will be fine.
Your tomatoes will be fine on the ground although I do keep tying mine up until I run out of pole.
Your eggplant and squash seem to be suffering from the same thing as I dealt with earlier this year...blooms, great plant..no produce. My theory is...no bees to pollenate...I am finally getting beans..I quite cutting my zinnias to attract bees to the garden. I have no idea if it helped or if I'm right, but I'm now getting beans.

Sorry about Joyce and the kitty gift....EEEEUUUUUU!!!
Originally Posted by trupeach1
I have banana peppers, I have never eaten a banana pepper I do not like hot anything. ARE THEY HOT?????????? I have one plant with about 8 peppers. 1 tomato plant is hanging on the ground even though it was tied. Do I have to tie it higher or will it be OK on the ground/wood deck?????? DD went out to check on my tomatoes to make sure no more tomato worms. Actually she almost went out she got to the door opened it, put one foot out and let out a blood curdling scream. One of the stray cats we feed had been by the door earlier just meowing away but I gave it no thought. The kitty left a present a dead mouse, Joyce stepped on it as she was going to walk out, now she will NEVER go on the deck again. The eggplant plants are HUGE but there is not one single eggplant, same with the yellow squash. My bell pepper has 2 peppers. Some of the tomatoes are turning red. I have so few plants yet they take up the entire deck. I wish I had a big garden but I can't do it on my own. I spoke to the lady from the church that does my grocery shopping for me. This year the church has a garden and the produce will go to a shelter. I told her if they need more space and would want to they could use my property next year for a garden but they would have to share with me.
:lol:

Thanks for the info Patti. I bet you're right about the bees, we have tons of wasps no bees. I wonder why?? It is not that I hate hot it is I choke from hot stuff. Joyce had me try a smigin of blackened chicked and she couldn't believe how I turned red and couldn't stop chocking. I couldn't breath. Maybe I will not eat the pepper just take a small bite and see what that does before I chew and swallow.
I just hope the kitty gift wasn't Miss Mousies relative. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 07-19-2010, 04:07 PM

We are getting cukes, summer squash, and zucchini from the garden right now. No tomatoes yet, but the cherry tomato plans are loaded, just waiting for them the ripen. The new blueberry bushes and the thornless black raspberry are doing well, even though we won't have fruit from them for another year, and only a small handful at that at first. I keep picturing the big bushes I pick from at local farms in the area...reminds me of that picture of the kitten looking into the mirror and seeing a lion! I want my bushes to be big....now! LOL! We are having a thunder shower right now, so all is getting waterd.