Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anyone Have a Vegtable garden? >

Anyone Have a Vegtable garden?

Anyone Have a Vegtable garden?

Old 07-18-2010, 06:26 PM

Thanks for the info. Thats funny.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:52 AM
Power Poster

Does anyone have fruit trees? Are they doing good? I have some 4 year old ones, I thought might fruit this year, but nothing yet! Maybe next year!
Old 07-19-2010, 05:08 AM

We've already frozen peas and rasberries. Had a great crop of spinach, asparagas, and radishes. Blackberries are coming on now. Carrots arent doing so well. Horseradish is overgrown will harvest next year. Put in a strawberry bed this year that has already overgrown its raised bed, going to tier it this fall. Not enough to can this year. Tomatos tomatos and more tomatoes, and tomato worms. Zukes and Cukes are the veggie of the week. A large selection of bell and hot peppers. Oh and one pumpkin vine! Spegetti squash and acorn squash(yummy). Plums for the first time this year but the birds and deer ate them. Apples are looking good, applesauce and apple butter might be in the plans. Not only do I have a fabric addiction but after this post I think I might have a food addiction.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:11 AM
Power Poster

But at least its a HEALTHY food addiction!
Old 07-19-2010, 05:43 AM

I guess our heat wave is affecting my squash - it's not doing anything close to what we got last year. I've put up 7 quarts of pickle chips and I've got a 3-gallon crock working on slow-brine pickles, canned the first bean harvest a couple of weeks ago (7 pints), and I've got another 7 pints worth to process tomorrow. Our plum tomatoes are bearing now, too, and we have to figure out a sauce recipe that we like because I have a giant basket of tomatoes to can, too!

The peppers are really happy with the heat, and we've just picked the first couple of bells and cubaneros.

I think some of the carrots are ready to pick as well.

Our eggplant grows really slowly. Don't know why.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
Does anyone have fruit trees? Are they doing good? I have some 4 year old ones, I thought might fruit this year, but nothing yet! Maybe next year!
Our plum trees were loaded...until the windstorms got to them. Now there are only about 1/2 dozen on one, and a couple on the other one. The crab apples are doing great, as are the eating apples.

This is the first year our raspberry canes are producing enough to "do" something with the fruit. I have been picking and freezing until I have enough to make some jelly.

We have chokecherries in our windbreaks. They are doing well so now we have to watch them closely or the birds will get them before we do!!! It's a game every year to see who gets them!! LOL

Patti
Old 07-19-2010, 06:40 AM

Your garden sounds great, lucky you. thinking of mabe buying corn to freeze, and tomatoes and greenbeans to can and maybe cucumbers to make some pickles. Also thinking grapes for jelly. Did all this years agobefore nursing school and then working and having a garden got in the way. Now retired but live in a patio home . No room for a garden ,but love it here.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:44 AM

Yes we have a garden doing better this year than last year. Last year we had too much heat 100 for 65 days straight, garden fried. This year we've collected zucchini, blackberries, squash, tomatoes and now our string beans are coming in.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:48 AM

Yes, It's on the late side but doing well. We have watermelon, popcorn, butterpeas, green beans, pinkeye purplehull peas, pintos and tomatoes. And in what we call the short garden, we have squash( zucchinni, yellow crookneck)cucumbers, okra.

our late garden
[ATTACH=CONFIG]74324[/ATTACH]

A gourd that has taken over my flower beds!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]74325[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-74319.jpe   attachment-74320.jpe  
Old 07-19-2010, 06:55 AM

My garden is Exploding with all the hot and sunny weather this year. We have tomatos, peppers, onions, cukes, zuccini, acorns squash, and eggplant. Can't wait for the fresh tomoatoes to ripen!!!!!