Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: April weight loss challenge

Life is unfair. No way around it. This weekend I went to the bridal shower for my son and his fiance. I didn't eat any of the lovely cake or cupcakes...not one gorgeous chocolate covered strawberry. I had raw fresh veggies and a piece of cheese and unsweetened tea. I have not cheated, not even once since January and again, the scale didn't budge. How can this be? I am stubborn though, and I WILL outlast this plateau, I will!

Wow, coffeegirl, that really isn't fair. How many calories are you eating? If you cut them too low your body can go into starvation mode. Then it will hang on to every calorie you eat.

I feel your pain, coffeegirl. I have run into the same problem! But Pam has given some good advice. I use myfitnesspal.com and it reminds me if my calories are too low. It's VERY windy here in upstate NY today, and trees are falling on the electric lines all over town. I may have to skip my walk today

Quote Originally Posted by coffeegirl View Post
    Life is unfair. No way around it. This weekend I went to the bridal shower for my son and his fiance. I didn't eat any of the lovely cake or cupcakes...not one gorgeous chocolate covered strawberry. I had raw fresh veggies and a piece of cheese and unsweetened tea. I have not cheated, not even once since January and again, the scale didn't budge. How can this be? I am stubborn though, and I WILL outlast this plateau, I will!
    You go coffee girl! Atleast no gain! It is though loosing when we get older. If possible add exercise or more. I am cheering you on.
    Anna Quilts

coffeegirl, maybe it's time for a cheat day. When I was losing weight, I had a cheat day every five to seven days. That way my metabolism was tricked not to adjust to the calorie reduction and slow down. Not to go crazy with junk food, just larger amounts of the good stuff, including a dessert if dessert is your drug of choice. For me, knowing I can have a cheat day every week helps cut down on the feelings of being deprived. I need to rejoin y'all for a while because my weight is creeping back up. It's time to put a stop to it.

Blog Entries
    Nice to see you again Irish. My weight isn't creeping in either direction. Staying the same for several months. I guess i am ok with this since I haven't been either good or too bad. I went to yoga tonight I really like yoga. So relaxing. I need to find a good class for a second night of the week.
    My knee surgery is on next Monday. I am ready to get it fixed. I am not allowed to take any of my meds this week. It is really stiff and sore after one day off meds. Hopefully it won't be too bad the rest of the week. It was really stiff at yoga tonight.
    Coffeegirl I agree with the others. Have you cut your calories too low? You body will think it is starving. The plan I keep saying I am going to follow (that I don't) has you ate a snack mid morning and afternoon to keep your metabolism going strong all day long. No bread, potatoes etc. Every 4th day you get a serving of them. I followed it for a week and did really well, then I got off track. I am just trying to maintain for now and get back on track after surgery. I am just trying to eat extra healthy. Good luck.
    Pat

I hate to wake up in the morning thinking about what I can't eat today!!! I wish I could loss as fast as I can gain!

coffeegirl, that stinks! Hopefully you'll start losing again. Sounds like the others have some good advice on the calories, I didn't know that.

meanmom, good luck with your surgery next week. I'm mailing the FQs out today (I know, finally right!).

I enjoy doing the yoga on my Wii. I did buy a yoga dvd, really should try using it sometime But on the positive side, I've been not snacking between meals and doing my exercise daily. I lost a pound last week. I hope we're all big losers this month
    Heather

Blog Entries
    I am doing good so far today, but yesterday I didn't do so good. I don't know if I had low blood sugar or what, but I got dizzy and so weak so I ate extra that evening and again last night. I didn't mind that time either just so I could feel better. It did help.

It's a beautiful day today. I hope to get a bit of sewing done today. I didn't get anything done yesterday.
    Have a great day everyone. I think I might have a cucumber sandwich later. An apple for desert with some coffee, and my water. Maybe even a tsp of peanut butter on my apple.

A beautiful day sounds wonderful. We are having snow off and on today. Yuck!
    I haven't been doing much sewing lately. I quilted my I-Spy quilt last week but it still needs the binding. I made a receiving blanket and 2 burp cloths to go along with a quilt for a charity thing friday night. I'm putting the value at $50 and the starting bid at $25. Hopefully someone will like it enough to bid on it.
    I don't want to talk about my eating. I was hoping to lose 8 lbs this month but I don't see that happening.
    Still need to get my fq's in the mail. I chose which ones I wanted to send, set them aside and forgot about them. I need to run and get a few groceries so hopefully I can locate the fq's quickly and get them in the mail.

Found my fq's! Woohoo!
    I forgot to mention.....when mailing your fq to Pat, it would be nice if some of us contribute a little money to help cover postage for when she mails them out. Maybe some of you already do. Maybe some of you have never even thought about it. Just a friendly little PSA!

Quote Originally Posted by Pam H View Post
    Found my fq's! Woohoo!
    I forgot to mention.....when mailing your fq to Pat, it would be nice if some of us contribute a little money to help cover postage for when she mails them out. Maybe some of you already do. Maybe some of you have never even thought about it. Just a friendly little PSA!
    Mine went in some time ago but a good idea for next time I send FQs in. Thank you for pointing this out.
    Anna Quilts

Well, wouldn't you know it. I mailed mine out without including any money. I think that's the first time I didn't so I will give myself a pass. Sorry, Pat!

We had the same weather as you did, Pat. Spurts of snow and ice mixed with sunshine. I was fooled by a period of sunshine - took the dogs out and was hit with wind driven sleet when we still a 1/2 mile from home. It changed to an icy snow before we got home. My black dog looked white! Brr. Yoga warmed me up tonight. It's supposed to be 'restorative' yoga, but I think sometimes he mixes his classes up. On the other hand, we all managed to stay with him and as I told him after the class, "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger." Which is true, in a lesser way. I sure couldn't have done the warrior poses a few months ago.

Two baby quilts are on the machine. I need to get them off so I can do some other 'gifts'. Seems like I never get all done in a day that I need to.

Y'all have a clean eating day.

Blog Entries
    I stayed in my sewing room extra late tonight to finish a quilt for my GS. It has monsters all over it. They have big eyes, it is really cute. I still need to measure it and see if it needs borders. I usually like my quilts a little bit larger that what the patterns make. I will try to post pictures tomorrow. I need to find backing. HIs birthday party is Sunday. There isn't any way it will be finished by then. I still need to clean the house and grocery shop etc. DH isn't very good at that and I figure it will be a while before I can.
    I need to get in bed, it is 11:30PM

Hi everyone, I'm not even sure when I checked in last.

Beautiful flowers Penni!! Thanks for posting. Yes, please post more after you've done your weeding, etc. I can't get out now because the pollen is too high, but wish I could.

I'm back on track after being bad for weeks. Eating whatever, whenever, and not exercising. My yoga studio closed, too. I'm trying to stretch at home until a new studio opens up. One of the students who was studying is now a teacher and is opening up her own studio.

I'm tracking my food on WW on line and it really makes me stop and think about what I'm putting into my mouth.

I went with a friend to Zumba on Monday night after work. OH, MY GOSH!! I was seriously worried I'd have to call into work on Tuesday. When I got home after the class I had to take a Motrin. I got in the floor and stretched a few minutes but by the time I went to bed every part of my body was hurting and I was walking like a really old lady. Amazingly, when I got up Tuesday morning I was ok. I stretched again and got through the day just fine. I know I need to commit to some good exercise every week.

Pat, I'm so sorry I haven't sent in my FQs yet. I went to the quilt shop last weekend and have 3 new ones. I'll get them in the mail by Saturday at the latest. Good luck with the surgery!

Have a great rest of the week, everyone.
    Cindy

Here are some tips to help you eat less. Overeating is a big problem for me. I've never heard of eating a bland snack before. Sounds strange but might have to give it a try.

http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/6-appet...Mblm0LgLXhM%3D

Hello Everyone!
    Sorry I have not been on here since we got back from Texas. Been really busy trying to catch up. Been working getting my garden in. Also working on getting some quilts done to hang at church for Mother's day. Right now I am about 18% into an almost king size batik quilt. I am FMQ'ing an all over daisy design freehand.
    I finally got my FQ's into the mail today. I meant to get some cash in there to help with postage but forgot until I had it all taped up. Next time!

I received my winning FQ's yesterday! Thank you they are quite lovely. I did not have a lot of orange in my stash. They will be nice for making quilts to donate.
    Well, bed time for me. I hope to talk my DH into a back and shoulder rub, before I started this king size monster I quilted a large lap size, that with the gardening I did on Monday and I am hurting!
    Good night all!

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!

I can't imagine quilting a kingsize quilt. Just a baby quilt has my shoulders aching.

Sending you a PM....ok SPLAIN this please.... i went to the post office with my large-ish envelope with 3 FQs and that pattern we talked about.....busy at the counters so i went to the machine that weighs and calculates postage then spits out the "stamp" sticker. Put that on and dropped it in the mail slot. Checked my mail last night....got the envelope back marked INSUFFICIENT POSTAGE !!! And they wonder why the post office is so messed up!!!
    Will resend today - will grab a one rate envelope and stand in line this time.....So annoying !!!!!
    Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most.

This quilt I am working on is Gorgeous!!! It is all Batiks and for my oldest daughter and husband. Last year I finished one for my middle daughter and husband that one was aprox 111x102 or something like that. She got married first. Once I finish this one I will need to start on one for daughter #3 and her DH.
    But before I start that one I have 2 more extra large queens I made for my bed. One, a flannel, I put together the top about 10 years ago but at that time I did not have the skills to quilt it and could not afford to send it out. The other was originally a lap size that my husband liked and said "can you make that a queen" I enlarged it (after searching to order more of the fabrics that were in it) got the squares all done and then it sat for about 7 years and I finally pulled it out last month and got the borders on and sandwiched it. I also have a large lap wedding gift that I have to finish the borders and then quilt before the wedding June 13. As well as binding on 5 additional quilts, not including these current ones.
    These should just about kill me getting them done!!!!

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!

Blog Entries
    WOW Gayle you have been busy. I would love to see some pictures. Especially the batik one. I so love batiks. I finished my GS quilt for his birthday. His birthday is Saturday. It has monsters all over it. I made it totally from my stash except I bought one FQ and the binding. I found a backing fabric in my stash. He will get it unquilted. No way I can finsh it by his party on Sunday. I have way too much to do around the house to get ready for surgery. My DH doesn't do much to help around the house. I need to finish cleaning etc. I was hoping to throw a couple of casseroles in the freezer, not sure if I will get that done or not. DH idea of cooking is a pizza, McDonalds, Fried chicken etc. I'm not sure how long it will be until I will be up to cookiing.
    I will be late sending out the FQ to the winner for this month but will get it out ASAP. I know it won't be me. I am down a couple of pounds.

Just finished my 9th bobbin. I think I am about 70% done. Maybe I am quilting it too close. I am beat, this is tiring!
    I have taken some pictures in progress. I will try and post a couple tomorrow of my "set up". I hope to finish the quilting and get the binding machine sewn on. DH and I are driving down to spend the day with my mom on Saturday. It is her 85th birthday. I hope to be able to get several hours of hand sewing done in the car while he drives.
    My trip to Texas was not good for my weight. Finally have lost what I gained those 10 days. I am trying really hard to "eat clean" and stay away from sugars and keeping a low carb count.
    Pat, congrats on your couple of pounds.
    I have not read every past post, is this your knee you are having surgery on? Prayers for a successful surgery and quick recovery!

Blog Entries
    Meanmom I hope your surgery goes well, and that you have a good recovery.

Good luck with your surgery, meanmom. We'll all be thinking of you.
    I'm bummed out this morning. It's snowing AGAIN and the ground is white. I spent the weekend in PA last week and it was gorgeous and so SPRING - green grass, daffodils everywhere, leaves popping on the trees. Here everything is grey and brown. My daffodils had started peeking through the soil, but they'll probably go back down now! lol

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast