Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
August 2011 Winner is oldcottontop! >

August 2011 Winner is oldcottontop!

August 2011 Winner is oldcottontop!

Old 08-08-2011, 07:30 AM

cottontop, Six pounds is a great loss for the first week. Now I'd expect two a week from now on. Did you say you like autumn fabrics?

Kim, I like that recipe. I see it with a drizzle of Italian dressing before or after baking. I can see my 13 year old GD making some for lunch. She arrives tonight. This is the granddaughter who has no appestat like I do - or should I say I don't. She wants lunch 15 minutes after breakfast. It will be a week of aggrevation on both our parts. The funny thing is she's not a birth GD. She was 18 months when I met her. She looks more like me than most of my birth ones except she is big boned like her mother. Also loud like her mother and a damaged child. She saw too much abuse at too young an age. Pray that we have a good week, please.

Gabrielle wants to learn to sew. I have a machine for her but my son says she can't have it until she knows how to use it, including what to do when it jams, etc. WalMart's quilt of the month's fabric is very cute, though not a quality product. She is supposed to be bring cash for fabric. Yes, I have fabric, but not suitable for a 13 year old and she needs to be responsible for the quilt, including purchasing at least part of the fabric.

Itching, burning, oozing and swelling is better. Maybe there's some hope after 10 days. I have to go walking in the park - I haven't yet, but I do plan on avoiding the area with the mystery bug. From what I saw online, I supect chiggers.

MJ, what's the coolest part of the day for your walk? I took the dogs out at 10:00 pm last night. It was lovely. Down to 72 with a slight breeze.

Have a clean eating day. I am losing weight.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:37 AM

Irish, when I can, I go at 6 a.m.

These new heart meds are kicking my rear, I slept until 11 today!

Here is a deal on buy.com for a pedometer today.
http://www.buy.com/pr/product.aspx?sku=205521023

This looks like a good quality one and it is free shipping.

I just ordered one as the cheapies don't work for me.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:55 AM

YAY on the 6 lbs!!

I purchased a SmartHealth watch from Walgreens, it tracks my steps fairly accurately, distance, calories and heart rate. I walked last night and was only 1434 steps from the big 10,000! I was all excited and was going to go more but I had already been gone for a hour, yea, I am a slow walker with my personal trainers :)
Old 08-08-2011, 09:10 AM

Ireland, I know the feeling. I have to remind Lily and Moira that walk means continuous forward motion. They are on Flexileads and I don't care how much they investigate as long as they do it in a fashion that doesn't impede my forward motion. Do you wear your pedometer like a watch? That'd be nice. My midsection has a SI back brace and a fanny pack for bags and keys. That's enough.

If I get another pedometer, I want to buy it locally so I can return it easily if I can't make it register. Because of all the metal in my feet, I don't walk heavily and so far no pedometer has registered - or maybe 6 steps in an hour.

Walkers, try alternating speeding up for a very short distance, then returning to your regular speed for a longer distance. Burn more calories without speed walking the whole distance.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:14 AM
elm

I can understand your son wanting your gd to take some responibility for her quilting and know how to use the machine. I wonder about expecting her to fix it though. Isn't that a bit much for just 13. Or am I wrong about that?

Originally Posted by irishrose
cottontop, Six pounds is a great loss for the first week. Now I'd expect two a week from now on. Did you say you like autumn fabrics?

Kim, I like that recipe. I see it with a drizzle of Italian dressing before or after baking. I can see my 13 year old GD making some for lunch. She arrives tonight. This is the granddaughter who has no appestat like I do - or should I say I don't. She wants lunch 15 minutes after breakfast. It will be a week of aggrevation on both our parts. The funny thing is she's not a birth GD. She was 18 months when I met her. She looks more like me than most of my birth ones except she is big boned like her mother. Also loud like her mother and a damaged child. She saw too much abuse at too young an age. Pray that we have a good week, please.

Gabrielle wants to learn to sew. I have a machine for her but my son says she can't have it until she knows how to use it, including what to do when it jams, etc. WalMart's quilt of the month's fabric is very cute, though not a quality product. She is supposed to be bring cash for fabric. Yes, I have fabric, but not suitable for a 13 year old and she needs to be responsible for the quilt, including purchasing at least part of the fabric.

Itching, burning, oozing and swelling is better. Maybe there's some hope after 10 days. I have to go walking in the park - I haven't yet, but I do plan on avoiding the area with the mystery bug. From what I saw online, I supect chiggers.

MJ, what's the coolest part of the day for your walk? I took the dogs out at 10:00 pm last night. It was lovely. Down to 72 with a slight breeze.

Have a clean eating day. I am losing weight.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:24 AM

Happy Monday everyone! Hope you all are having a good day. It cooled down some last night so I was able to take a walk through the woods (in between thunderstorms). Feeling pretty good this morning and ready for whatever comes my way. Hope to spend some time in my sewing room later today.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:26 AM

It takes a while to catch up with the reading on here when you have been gone a couple of days! Whew! I had a great weekend. The class reunion was fun and my mom is doing well. I tried to watch my eating and didn't do too badly. I even got out and walked 1/2 hr one morning. We ended up crashing a wedding reception to see a couple of classmates whose daughter got married that day. My hubby had 2 pieces of cake. I had 1 bite of his and didn't really even like it - the cake was dry and the frosting sickening sweet. That might be the first time I ever turned down a piece of cake! I did end up gaining back 1 lb but that is probably from the long car ride - it tends to slow down my digestive system. Someone here mentioned a Julian Michaels workout dvd - which one do you like? There are several. I hope everyone has a great day. I am losing!
Old 08-08-2011, 09:33 AM

Just saw this in an email:

Nothing tastes as good as slim feels.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:42 AM

Thanks everyone. And Irishrose, I like fabircs of all kinds :)
Old 08-08-2011, 09:47 AM

Wow, six pounds is amazing! Well done :thumbup: I struggled to lose three and hope I can do one a week now.

Nancy