Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
BF wants to get married but I want to run...need advice >

BF wants to get married but I want to run...need advice

BF wants to get married but I want to run...need advice

Old 05-07-2009, 07:09 AM

in my experience the french have never been in a hurry to do much, but i certainly wish you godspeed!

be sure to be designated the one to make medical decisions. it can be heartbreaking to have others take over in a way which hans would not want..

also be sure to be named in his will :mrgreen: :mrgreen:. it would be heartbreaking to hans for others to leave you out :mrgreen: .
Old 05-07-2009, 07:15 AM

My mother always told me "When in doubt, don't."

Has always worked for me.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:47 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by butterflywing
in my experience the french have never been in a hurry to do much, but i certainly wish you godspeed!

be sure to be designated the one to make medical decisions. it can be heartbreaking to have others take over in a way which hans would not want..

also be sure to be named in his will :mrgreen: :mrgreen:. it would be heartbreaking to hans for others to leave you out :mrgreen: .
Hadn't thought about the medical issue - guess you don't til it happens then it's too late! So thanks for that; The financial side is very tricky - in France, when a parent dies, the children inherit that half of the property. They can't throw you out or force you to sell but they can stop you selling. There are ways around it but fairly complicated so that it remains fair to everyone. It's a worry that we have to deal with before we joint own anything.

K x
Old 05-07-2009, 09:01 AM

when the time is right, he can always sell you half. for a pittance, of course. before the fact. he would have to trust that you would be fair to his children.
or arrange that legally.

can you tell that among my many jobs i worked for an attorney part-time while my kids were small? i did dressmaking at home in the evenings for professional women.

to tell the truth, i could never sit still and do nothing while the kids were in school, and the housework didn't take that long. i got out while they were gone, did the chores after school (they walked), and sewed and quilted in the evenings while watching tv with dh. when i had an app't with a customer, i used a different room for that. my 12-14 regulars + drop-ins almost paid for my dd's college education. in a nyc suburb.

dh thought i was nuts. not so. just housewife bored.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:04 AM
k3n
Power Poster

when the time is right, he can always sell you half. for a pittance, of course. before the fact. he would have to trust that you would be fair to his children.
or arrange that legally.
Yes, that's an option, a friend has done that but it can't be for a pittance - has to be the going rate or the kids can sue you in court! Just what you need when you've just lost your partner! Oh what a tangled web! I think when we're retired, we'll sell everything, buy a camper van and just spend it all - the kids can look out for themselves!

K x
Old 05-07-2009, 09:16 AM

so buy it for half with his money LOL!

camper sounds good, too. see the world and let the kids earn their own.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:29 AM
k3n
Power Poster

so buy it for half with his money LOL!

camper sounds good, too. see the world and let the kids earn their own.
LOL - good idea! Yup I think a camper or a boat - Hans woulod go for a sailboat! Not sure if i can sew at sea though!

K x