Buy the Pattern!

Old 09-04-2019, 03:05 AM

If i like the pattern, I buy it, doesn't matter if it's an easy pattern or not. Especially if it has multiple sizes. It has the yardage figured out and with the cost of fabric I could easily mess up more than the cost of the pattern with a cutting error. It a also allows me to get to the piecing faster instead spending all that time doing the math:-)
Old 09-04-2019, 04:02 AM
Power Poster

If I can import and trace a picture of the block in the quilt in EQ then I do that. Of course no instructions of how to put it together but most times I an figure it out. I will buy a pattern if it is a true original not a twist on an old pattern. example a solid square in the pattern changed to four patch.
Old 09-04-2019, 04:05 AM
Power Poster

I'm terrible at figuring out something by myself so I almost always use a pattern. I buy some but mostly use the free ones online.
A lot of people here use EQ and they are so good at it but I probably would never figure out how to use it!
Old 09-04-2019, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by Lena1952 View Post
If i like the pattern, I buy it, doesn't matter if it's an easy pattern or not. Especially if it has multiple sizes. It has the yardage figured out and with the cost of fabric I could easily mess up more than the cost of the pattern with a cutting error. It a also allows me to get to the piecing faster instead spending all that time doing the math:-)
Me, too, and I have drawers full of patterns to prove it. I also like supporting designers. It's so much work creating and publishing a pattern. I respect, enjoy, and get pleasure from their creativity. I want to give them their due.
Old 09-04-2019, 05:19 AM

I prefer to buy the pattern if it's one I want to make and free patterns on the internet are great, I have no problem with them. Maybe I'm just not that great at figuring out a pattern by myself unless it is something so simple that anyone can do it. I should admit that I'm a pattern, book, and template "junkie".
Old 09-04-2019, 05:32 AM

If it's basic squares and hst's, I'll figure it out. If it has a truly inventive twist, I'll purchase. I do avoid those that require special rulers.
Old 09-04-2019, 05:35 AM

The best book I ever bought for figuring out how something is put together is Jinny Beyer's big green $50.00 book. It's all done based on the size of the block. I'm not sure of the name right now, but if you Google Jinny Beyer and look at her list of books, you'll find it. It just lets your mind wander. I still buy an odd pattern just for the color placement.
Old 09-04-2019, 05:44 AM

I am one of those that will try everything I know not to buy a pattern. I will many times wait until the prices drop or look at garage sales for pattern that someone gave up on. Judy Niemeyer does sell replacement pattern pieces for each area of her quilts. However I am not up to making a Judy Niemeyer quilt anymore. I recently bought 50+ patterns at a rummage sale and I have only gone through them to figure out what I want to do first. Mostly I will do what I can with free videos.
Old 09-04-2019, 06:23 AM
DJ

I do believe in trying to support pattern makes by purchasing the pattern even when I can figure it out myself or find an instructional video. That said, I have been disappointed in the instructions in some purchased patterns. Several times, I've ended up doing it my own way and felt like the price of the pattern was a waste of money.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by DJ View Post
I do believe in trying to support pattern makes by purchasing the pattern ... and felt like the price of the pattern was a waste of money.
I've helped a lot of friends over the years in trying to make sense of some patterns. Not all designs are created equally! Very rarely is it a skills issue of the quilter but sometimes you do have to say something like "well, this is more of an advanced applique pattern and you aren't quite there yet so of course you are having problems".

Some of the times it just doesn't even make sense, I remember a friend who did really great applique work. She was wanting to do a historical re-creation but wasn't using exactly correct period fabrics or reproductions and was stressing out about the finished block size being something like 11-11/16ths. Well goodness gracious, does it really mattter? Center that anywhere between 11.25-12" and it will be fine -- sometimes we just need to be told that it will be ok to do a few modifications

I'm forgetting who it is on the board, but they don't like buying patterns that show designs but not an actual finished object. I hear that! Sometimes when I look at the workmanship of the cover piece and cringe a bit, it is sort of like some of the quickie cheapie quilting books. If I already know I can make it better by following their directions, I have to believe I can make it even better by following my directions.