Buying a Mattress:(

Old 04-29-2017, 10:48 PM

Most people do not know what actually goes into the making of a mattress, so buyer beware. I googled "toxins in memory foam" and there are several articles on this subject. I sleep on a Simmons Beautyrest, and only the thin topper has memory foam, but I enclosed it with a protector that keeps water, pet dander, you name, out. Then I put another topper over that I bought from an all natural mattress store. Something still isn't right, for even though this is such a comfortable mattress, I think it is a bit too soft due to aching in the hips.

Do you really want memory foam? http://www.sleepjunkie.org/are-memor...ttresses-safe/
[h=2]What are the risks of VOCs and Off-Gassing?[/h]The most hyped danger surrounding mattresses made of memory foam remains “VOCs” and “off-gassing”. The two terms refer to the same phenomenon of chemicals breaking down and dispersing into the air, which some have attributed to allergic reactions, breathing issues and toxin buildup. Memory foam and all polyurethane-containing and otherwise manufactured products can have a “new” odor, usually most noticeable the first few weeks
https://www.eatingbirdfood.com/tradi...oxic-mattress/
Old 04-30-2017, 07:10 AM

Default Saatva Bed

I was considering buying one of these. I am curious about which one of their three mattresses did you purchase. I like a firm bed. Sleep numbers sound good but the cost is what is keeping me from buying one.

Originally Posted by KLO View Post
Boy, Thank you for asking this question. Last year we bought from Saatva online. It was an easy process and the company is very customer friendly. However, now that we have had it for a bit, we do not like it at all. It's a bit too soft for us but the main reason I don't like it is because every time my bed mate moves or rolls over, I bobble up and down like I am floating in the ocean. Might as well have a water bed but that is why I don't! We are talking about looking into a Sleep Number bed but the reason we did not get one this time was due to a fair amount of negative reviews. I will be watching and reading this post for reviews.
Old 04-30-2017, 12:10 PM

We desperately needed a new mattress about a year ago. I wanted a Temperpedic mattress. I wasn't sure my DH would go for it because it is a little bit pricey and he doesn't like to try new things. I have never regretted spending the extra to get it. We have loved it from the day we got it. I am 60 and my hips, knees and back feel so much better. They do have a 90 day money back guarantee. But you do have to buy something else from them I think. If I ever need another mattress it will be the same brand. My son has another name brand of memory foam mattress. It is comfy but not as good as ours. Ours also has something to make it feel cool. My sister has one that is about 20 years old that she still loves. And my sister is a whiner and complainer.
Old 04-30-2017, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Janied View Post
I was considering buying one of these (Saavta). I am curious about which one of their three mattresses did you purchase. I like a firm bed. Sleep numbers sound good but the cost is what is keeping me from buying one.
A friend purchased a Saatva two years ago and when I asked her about the mattress she invited me over. Even though she has rotated the mattress every six months as suggested the mattress now has a "canal" on both sides. She also purchased the foundation so as to not void the warranty. I asked her if she'd called the company to see if the mattress could be replaced but she doesn't want another mattress from them. She weighs about 140 pounds and doesn't feel she caused the problem.

Last edited by marge954; 04-30-2017 at 12:21 PM.
Old 04-30-2017, 02:04 PM

Jan, the site says this: 1.5″ top layer of Natural latex foam, provides bounce with air flow holes for increased circulation.

I don't know what causes laytex allergy, I wonder if this constant contact would? I don't expect you to have a answer, jut wondering if anyone knows.

We bought a tempur pedic about 12 years ago, every time I lie down on it I can't help but say "oh I love my mattress"

But I have yet found a way to keep sheets on it. We've used all kind of sheet keepers on, no luck.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-18-2017 at 03:44 AM.
Old 04-30-2017, 06:10 PM

We have an original temper-pedic mattress since 2002 and we love it.
Old 04-30-2017, 06:15 PM

I love our SelectComfort bed too! Ours is 12 years old and one of the best investments dh and I have made. We both sleep great because he likes a firm mattress and I like soft.

We bought the second cheapest model. I like my side soft so the pillow top on a soft setting made me feel like I was sleeping in a taco shell. :P They do run sales--if you know someone who has one ask them for a coupon. I still getting them in the mail a few times a year.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:06 AM
KLO

Originally Posted by Janied View Post
I was considering buying one of these. I am curious about which one of their three mattresses did you purchase. I like a firm bed. Sleep numbers sound good but the cost is what is keeping me from buying one.
We bought the Luxury Firm which is the middle grade. Perhaps the Firm one would have been better but I don't sleep on my back or front as I am a side sleeper. Seemed like that middle one would be perfect ..... advertised as the Goldilock's bed, not too soft and not to hard. It's comfortable enough when just laying on it but as soon as my bed mate rolls one way or the other or even gets in and out of bed, I feel like the waves are rolling and I might get thrown out of bed. Sure wish we had sent it back before the time was up. We also chose the smaller (thinner) box spring and wider mattress which was also a mistake. It's hard to turn that mattress (heavy and awkward) and even making the bed after washing sheets is a big chore. I tend to grumble the whole time I am doing that. So beware! If you think one of them is right for you, just make sure to use it right away and pay attention to the time you have to use it before the return warranty times out.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:14 AM

There should be a new Rule 34 for the Internet -- If it exists, there's a claim it will kill you.

Well the deed is done. What agony! Too much web surfing and reading about latex, memory foam, springs and pillow tops. I finally bit the bullet and went with Plushbeds.com.

I decided on latex since:
They can last 20 plus years
The company will send you a new topper years down the road if you have "sinkage"
Less motion transfer (DH jerks, twists, and flops all night and has for all the years we've been together)
I was assured there would be no smell from the mattress
The company had different softness levels to choose from
No dust mites, bedbugs or mold
They offered a low profile foundation
Free sheets, pillow and mattress cover
I called and John answered every stupid question I had and took my order right then (with a very sexy soft British accent)
I can return it and get 100% of my money back
It wasn't the highest priced or the lowest priced

I decided that since I'd been sitting on latex living room furniture for 6o+ years, riding in cars with a latex dashboard, using latex dish washing gloves, sitting walking and laying on carpet with latex foam under it, using kitchen appliances, office equipment and video equipment with latex that I hadn't died or suffered any ill effects so I'd probably live a little while longer

Other factors that played into my decision:
Coil Spring mattresses are only good for 6-8 years and can grow mold inside the mattress due to your sweat. Also dust mites gross me out.
I've had a water bed mattress when I was a teenager and don't like them.
I tested my friend's Sleep Number and couldn't get comfortable.
Memory foam has to "off gas" for several days to a couple of days to weeks. I can't tolerant smells so this wouldn't work for me.
The glue used to adhere the layers of a memory foam mattress and used in spring mattresses has a very strong smell also which I noticed when we went to the mattress store to test mattresses.

The mattress will be delivered next week and I'll let you guys know after a week, a month and six months as to how well I like the mattress or if I had to return it and why.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-18-2017 at 03:45 AM. Reason: remove shoutiing
Old 05-02-2017, 01:08 PM
Power Poster

I did a little research on latex mattresses too. I probably wouldn't want to get one for a child because of the potential for years of exposure. However, at my age, that's almost not a concern at all. The biggest risk with latex would be direct exposure; however, I think it is extremely low risk once you put a mattress cover and sheets on the mattress.

I'd love to know how you like it after six months!