Buying a Mattress:(

Old 12-17-2017, 09:23 PM

I bought a memory foam mattress and just put it on our box springs I think that is a mistake as I hate the darn thing. Hard to turn over and when I fall asleep I wake up sore from not having moved. Maybe the slat frame (and yes it was reccomended) would have been better. But I have an antique bed with a 6 foot headboard and I am not parting with it.
Old 12-18-2017, 07:04 AM
Power Poster

I think buying a mattress is one of the hardest purchases ever! I think we've been through 3 in the last 10 years. My husband had back surgery and we've been experimenting (a very expensive experiment!)
I was wondering how those sleep number beds are. They have them in some hotels but it's hard to know how good they are when you only stay a short time.
I have no advice for you, Marge- sorry!
Old 12-19-2017, 03:29 AM

I have a niece that is highly allergic to latex. She almost died after a C-section and a Foley catheter was placed. Now she even has to avoid any place that has latex balloons or other latex products in the same area she is in. Even the smell of latex has her eyes watering and her throat feels like it wants to swell up and close. I know most people won't react like this but please be careful if you are even the slightest bit sensitive to latex. If your lips ever tingled when you blew up a balloon or maybe your lips swelled up a little. Rashes and itching are other symptoms to be aware of also. So just placing a bed cover and a sheet might not be enough if you are allergic. And you can develop an allergy with increased exposure. Don't mean to scare anyone just want everyone to be aware and stay safe.
Old 12-19-2017, 03:08 PM

We recently bought a Sealy silver hybrid. The top of it is extra gel memory foam and then the regular springs (which you don't feel at all). It conforms nicely to your body while still being firm.

However, I think I'm allergic to it. After about 2 months I got this skin rash. It's okay if I keep moisturized, but keep it in mind. I've read that others get watery eyes and runny noses.

Other than that I love it .
Old 12-19-2017, 07:50 PM

I may be able to top all the Sleep # owners! We have had our king-size(dual control) for 20(maybe 19) years! I am 5' and he is 6'1" and 175 lbs.....no problem with separate controls and the company is great to respond to problems. In all the years, we have replaced two motors...one free from company and the last at minimal charge. Love it!

Last edited by nanacc; 12-19-2017 at 07:51 PM. Reason: oops..275 lbs
Old 07-31-2018, 12:52 PM

Years ago people bought a mattress & box spring at a furniture store and that was it. Now there’s a mattress store on every corner where we live, no wonder people get confused. We’ve been looking at Sam’s & Costco but not “pulled the trigger” yet. We were in one furniture store yesterday and the salesman was pushing us toward some very pricey units.
Old 07-31-2018, 04:55 PM
Power Poster

I advise against a pillow top. It’s better to buy a regular mattress and add a foam or gel topper. That way you can replace the “topper” if it wears out.
Old 08-01-2018, 03:15 AM
Power Poster

I think purchasing a bed is one of the hardest things to buy. I want one of those sleep numbers but I am afraid to plunk down all that money and then find I don't like it.
Prism, I agree with you on the pillow top. Once they flatten that's it.
Old 08-03-2018, 11:26 AM

We had the sleep by the number beds twin long beds to replace our queen sized beds that was adjustable for back and legs and vibrated also. We had a Doctor sign that we needed it and got a big discount. Down side of that was we moved to retire and they were very heavy to move. But enjoyed every night on them for good many years. Replaced the mattress on one, and its in the guest room still going. Very firm, but not like a table or floor.
Old 08-03-2018, 12:24 PM

Another happy sleep number person Dh and I have had one for nearly 12 years and love it.

Janelle