Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Can anyone recommend an exercise dvd for >

Can anyone recommend an exercise dvd for

Can anyone recommend an exercise dvd for

Old 01-23-2014, 07:55 PM
Power Poster

Default Can anyone recommend an exercise dvd for

a woman in her late sixties with bad knees (cannot easily get down on floor or up again)? I especially need to strengthen abdominals and back/spine. It would help to have exercises explained very well, and to have workouts limited to 10 minutes or so. In the past I have tried beginning yoga and tai chi DVDs but, to be absolutely honest, they move so slowly I can't stand it. I am impatient and need something that will move me through the exercises at a steady pace that isn't too slow. I looked on Amazon but find the choices really confusing, and I don't want to end up with ten more DVDs that don't work for me!
Old 01-24-2014, 03:22 AM

Try looking at AARP's website and, sorry, no clue as to the name, but the National Osteoporsis (sp) Foundation. Friend of mine was able to get several from these sites and some, I think, were even free.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
a woman in her late sixties with bad knees (cannot easily get down on floor or up again)? I especially need to strengthen abdominals and back/spine. It would help to have exercises explained very well, and to have workouts limited to 10 minutes or so. In the past I have tried beginning yoga and tai chi DVDs but, to be absolutely honest, they move so slowly I can't stand it. I am impatient and need something that will move me through the exercises at a steady pace that isn't too slow. I looked on Amazon but find the choices really confusing, and I don't want to end up with ten more DVDs that don't work for me!
Pilates, Yoga and Tai Chi are PERFECT for how you describe your abilities. What is the hurry? All build strength, flexibility, and balance. At your age...and mine...what more can we ask for?? And you can tailor your workouts in any time increment you want. I used to be a gym rat and spent hours on the treadmill, weight training, etc. My body feels more ancient than it did ten years ago. Partly my fault..I travel for work and I no longer belong to the gym. Bit I am an avid , brisk walker. I do need to get back to Yoga/Pilates. It is something you can do anywhere.

I agree that Tai Chi is too slow..BORING in my eyes.

sandy
Old 01-24-2014, 05:10 AM
Power Poster

How about hiring a personal trainer to help you get going at it?
When choosing someone have a frank discussion as to what you want, how you want to approach it, and your assessment of your physical limitations, and see if s/he is up to the challenge. Many will come to your home, and are quite capable of working to your specifics .... and without needing gym equipment.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:20 AM

What about the walking videos by Leslie Sansone. It's all aerobic but you strengthen your core when you walk. She has lots of variety in length of workout.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
How about hiring a personal trainer to help you get going at it?
When choosing someone have a frank discussion as to what you want, how you want to approach it, and your assessment of your physical limitations, and see if s/he is up to the challenge. Many will come to your home, and are quite capable of working to your specifics .... and without needing gym equipment.
I agree. A personal trainer would be a good way to start. I have a couple of DVDs that I like because I can do most of them sitting but they are longer than you want.
The DVDs I like are by Anne Pringle Burnell. You can search for her on YouTube and see clips and she has a website. You don't necessarily have to do all of the DVD, either. She also has a website where you can see previews: http://www.strongerseniors.com/
Old 01-24-2014, 05:36 AM

Check out your library. They usually have DVDs to check out. Then you can try them out & won't have to invest in each DVD.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:53 AM

PBS has a series called Sit and Be Fit that a nurse teaches. DVDs are available. It is very good.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:06 AM

I use the Leslie Sansone "walk away the pounds" vidoes, easy, aerobic and you can work as hard as you need. My mother in law use to do the "Sit and Be Fit" ones, she really liked them.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:26 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sparkys_mom View Post
I agree. A personal trainer would be a good way to start..........
There's some advantages to a PT, one that s/he can check your form, ensure you are getting a balanced workout to all body parts and the accountability helps make sure we do it!

No I am not a PT ... just know the merits, as I went that route because I decided if I was going to work out, I needed to make sure I got the most out of what I did. I was very firm up front that I was not willing to put big bucks out on equipment and that was no problem. I think the only thing I bought were a couple of resistance bands. Otherwise, we used what I already had. In working with her, I finally came to "like" the big ball, merely because I had never been taught "how" to use it properly. You can do your full routine with it, if you want!

Of course, it worked while I was doing it and had the accountability to the PT ..... then ........................