Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Can you beleive it......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >

Can you beleive it......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you beleive it......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-09-2011, 11:29 AM
Power Poster

That makes me sad to think that any woman would think she couldn't speak up to put a man in his place and that was the way most females were raised. And even madder that the jerk knew the woman wouldn't make a stink over it. I hope that jerk is six feet under by now.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:57 AM

No they didn't take any money up front. I was full of piss and vinager back then too. I would have come at him like a rabid spider monkey. The police would have definatly gotten involved in that one.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:01 PM

I learn a lot from this board. Here in foreigner land Americans have a reputation for being very outspoken and assertive. I learn here that a lot of you are big pussy cats who let people walk all over you!!! How IS that?!!!

I am speechless that she let him away with this. If she was not able to stand up to him would she not at least have asked some man to go in there and do it for her, if that was how things were in those days?
Old 02-09-2011, 12:04 PM

I have known her and her husband for several years now. Her husband is as quiet as a church mouse even today. me and my DH though.... TOTALLY diffrent story. That dude picked on the right person cause he would have had all kinds of ugly if he had sold my machine. The best thing of it all is that it was not a family heirloom.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by kwhite
I was talking to a friend the other night and the subject of treadle machines came up. She said she once had one. 25 years ago she bought one at an auction and took it to a local "repair shop" for fixin. She said she didn't hear from the shop after a few weeks so she dropped by with her drop off ticket in hand. They looked for it and could not find it. The worker then contacted the owner who told her that an Amish woman came in the shop and he SOLD HER MACHINE TO THEM FOR $300.00. He would not give her the money and she said she did not have the nerve then that she does today so she did nothing. She still has the attachments somewhere in the house. I told her to find them I would try to sell them for her. Get something out of it. I am still shaking my head over that one. I would have shot his windows out!!!!

I have heard of things like this; or, they change the head out for something different. This is why I never take my treadles to anyone and leave them. I fix them myself. I am so sorry to hear this even if it was a long time ago. Police should have hauled the shop keeper off.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:14 PM

That is called THEFT and that is why we have police. Too bad she didnt call them.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:05 PM
Power Poster

That is truly unbelievable! :(
Old 02-09-2011, 04:18 PM

there is, or used to be, a common scam like this among shops such as jewelry or watch repair shops. You bring in, say, Grandpa's watch for repair. The shop recognizes it as a $10,000 collectible. When you come back , they "can't find it". They offer you $500. If you don't know what it is worth, you may take it. Now they have bought a $10K watch for $500. Good profit for an unscrupulous business.
If you make a conniption over it, they look some more and surprise - they find it.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:50 PM
Banned

OMG....You wonder about people sometimes. That poor women.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:02 PM

I would think he did this to make some money.