Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can you beleive it......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was talking to a friend the other night and the subject of treadle machines came up. She said she once had one. 25 years ago she bought one at an auction and took it to a local "repair shop" for fixin. She said she didn't hear from the shop after a few weeks so she dropped by with her drop off ticket in hand. They looked for it and could not find it. The worker then contacted the owner who told her that an Amish woman came in the shop and he SOLD HER MACHINE TO THEM FOR $300.00. He would not give her the money and she said she did not have the nerve then that she does today so she did nothing. She still has the attachments somewhere in the house. I told her to find them I would try to sell them for her. Get something out of it. I am still shaking my head over that one. I would have shot his windows out!!!!

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    I would Of had the police in there with me

One shop I would never go back to she should have filed a report!!

Blog Entries
    That is crazy - and he's in business?? I'd have had him in court big time.
    Instead of selling her attachments, is she interested in replacing the machine? There are lots available and she probably could get the same model and treadle. Esp. if it was a Singer.
    I'd suggest to her to check out the Vintage Machine Shop thread on here, and / or chat with Lostn51

That is just horrifying!

I don't know if he is still in business or not. She talked like he was. I was too dumb struck to do any questioning other then to say over and over, "HE WHAT!!!"

Not much anybody can do after 25 years but wow, I dont' think I'd ever let anybody get away with that. Your poor friend.

Just curious, did they take any money from her in advance for the repair? And did they justify the sale, such as "goods left after X days are considered abandoned?"

Super Member pumpkinpatchquilter's Avatar
    WOW that is crazy. I would have thrown a fit. Have you ever seen Hard Core Pawn? LOL* My Husband loves that show...you should see the fools people make of themselves over much less an incident than hers. I feel for your friend and too bad that it was so long ago...I'm sure she could get a group of us quilting gals up there now to tell him what for. ;)

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Om my. I would not have been nice about that. If this just happened we could go and picket his shop. LOL. "illegally selling my baby". So sorry it happened but glad it was long ago so she has moved on. I would want to look him up and smack him. LOL
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I would have cried so hard that they would call the police just to get me out of there. :wink:

Blog Entries
    That makes me sad to think that any woman would think she couldn't speak up to put a man in his place and that was the way most females were raised. And even madder that the jerk knew the woman wouldn't make a stink over it. I hope that jerk is six feet under by now.

No they didn't take any money up front. I was full of piss and vinager back then too. I would have come at him like a rabid spider monkey. The police would have definatly gotten involved in that one.

Blog Entries
    I learn a lot from this board. Here in foreigner land Americans have a reputation for being very outspoken and assertive. I learn here that a lot of you are big pussy cats who let people walk all over you!!! How IS that?!!!

I am speechless that she let him away with this. If she was not able to stand up to him would she not at least have asked some man to go in there and do it for her, if that was how things were in those days?

I have known her and her husband for several years now. Her husband is as quiet as a church mouse even today. me and my DH though.... TOTALLY diffrent story. That dude picked on the right person cause he would have had all kinds of ugly if he had sold my machine. The best thing of it all is that it was not a family heirloom.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kwhite
    I was talking to a friend the other night and the subject of treadle machines came up. She said she once had one. 25 years ago she bought one at an auction and took it to a local "repair shop" for fixin. She said she didn't hear from the shop after a few weeks so she dropped by with her drop off ticket in hand. They looked for it and could not find it. The worker then contacted the owner who told her that an Amish woman came in the shop and he SOLD HER MACHINE TO THEM FOR $300.00. He would not give her the money and she said she did not have the nerve then that she does today so she did nothing. She still has the attachments somewhere in the house. I told her to find them I would try to sell them for her. Get something out of it. I am still shaking my head over that one. I would have shot his windows out!!!!

I have heard of things like this; or, they change the head out for something different. This is why I never take my treadles to anyone and leave them. I fix them myself. I am so sorry to hear this even if it was a long time ago. Police should have hauled the shop keeper off.

That is called THEFT and that is why we have police. Too bad she didnt call them.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    That is truly unbelievable! :(

there is, or used to be, a common scam like this among shops such as jewelry or watch repair shops. You bring in, say, Grandpa's watch for repair. The shop recognizes it as a $10,000 collectible. When you come back , they "can't find it". They offer you $500. If you don't know what it is worth, you may take it. Now they have bought a $10K watch for $500. Good profit for an unscrupulous business.
    If you make a conniption over it, they look some more and surprise - they find it.

Banned
    OMG....You wonder about people sometimes. That poor women.

I would think he did this to make some money.

i would have called the police too that is the same as stealing

Unbelieveable!! Some people have no ethics...... :thumbdown:

Wow, you would wonder if it was some kind of highly sought after one, and was a scam like ptquilts said. How sad!

Jim
    so sorry for what happened to your friend but whats mine is mine and he would be singing a mighty high tune when I shot his ***** off for stealing what belonged to me

There are 2 things people know about me. You don't mess with my family or my sewing machines. I have always been an outspoken person. I would have definitely had him in court.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast