Car opinons please

Old 07-28-2011, 04:46 AM

A friend of mine got a AWD instead of 4WD, only to discover that it's not real good in the snow AND the clearance is so small that you can't put chains on. If you want to go with the AWD, I would definitely research the clearance out for chains if needed. Personally, since you're in Canada, I would go for the 4WD.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:57 AM
Power Poster

Four years ago I got my first 4WD SUV and I'll never go back. I love them in the snow and the mileage isn't bad.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:00 AM

Which is better in snow?
Old 07-28-2011, 05:23 AM
Power Poster

Some thoughts hear from another Ontario driver ...............

AWD without a doubt!!! Much safer for you in snow and rain. You'll never regret it next winter (..... or should we "ever" see a deluge of rain again?)

You'll find you don't have the fishtailing on the roads when you go into a skid or slide ... and actually you won't even feel as though you are doing so. You just come to a stop and hold your ground.

Someone mentioned clearance as an issue. That's not so much in connection to AWD, as the clearance for bucking thru deeper snow, whether fresh fallen, plough back at the end or your drive or snow ruts made from people driving in unplowed snow or slush.

Another consideration is the overall weight of the vehicle. More weight and it'll hold it's ground easier, deal with the depths better .... and more there to protect you in the worse case scenario!

What brand of vehicle are you looking at?
Old 07-28-2011, 06:17 AM

We've had 2 Subaru Legacy's with AWD. In IL winters it is great, however it does make the car use more gas and the one we have is a dog for acceleration. OTOH, we've had two and each got over 200K mmiles with no major repairs. We drove the one 14 years and the other is still going.

I also own an Audi TT with AWD.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:30 AM

Jeep! 35 yrs No connection with any dealer.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:26 AM

I had a 4 wheel drive Kia Sportage, which I loved! Traded it in last year for a Soul (too small for my needs and beat me to death). Just traded it in for a 2006 Subaru Tribeca, which I am LOVING so far.

I would spend the $30 or so to sign up for a year with Consumer Reports, and research! Also check with cars.com, kbb.com., edmunds, etc to do your research on used cars. I fell in love with the Ford Flex, but after researching it, would never buy one.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:13 AM

I say YES to AWD. My SUV had it and when I bought my new vehicle last fall my daughter took it. I miss it. I will be trading again next year and having AWD will be the number one priority...followed closely by sun roof and heated leather seats.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
Some thoughts hear from another Ontario driver ...............

AWD without a doubt!!! Much safer for you in snow and rain. You'll never regret it next winter (..... or should we "ever" see a deluge of rain again?)

You'll find you don't have the fishtailing on the roads when you go into a skid or slide ... and actually you won't even feel as though you are doing so. You just come to a stop and hold your ground.

Someone mentioned clearance as an issue. That's not so much in connection to AWD, as the clearance for bucking thru deeper snow, whether fresh fallen, plough back at the end or your drive or snow ruts made from people driving in unplowed snow or slush.

Another consideration is the overall weight of the vehicle. More weight and it'll hold it's ground easier, deal with the depths better .... and more there to protect you in the worse case scenario!

What brand of vehicle are you looking at?
We are looking at the Pontiac Torrent... its pretty much the exact same as the Chevy Equinox. Even the dealer said htey were the same.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:45 AM

AWD seems to be becoming standard, so you may as well get that one and get used to it. I've been looking for a small car, and it's standard in the 2012s.