Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Cash payments in stores - Too Old Fashioned??? >

Cash payments in stores - Too Old Fashioned???

Cash payments in stores - Too Old Fashioned???

Old 07-10-2011, 11:02 AM

Nowadays, they don't know how to count back your change. When I worked in retail, if the power went out and stayed out for a while we had registers that could operate manually but the young checkers were at a total loss, had no idea what to do or how to do it.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:33 AM

I mainly use my debit card, because I get "points" for my purchases. However, when I do pay cash, there have been several instances where I have had to correct the cashier. I once tried to give back $10, but the cashier was insistent that she had given me the correct change. Bet she wishes she had listened to me, when her drawer came up short.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:37 AM

I use cash for most of my purchases too and no I don't think that is too old fashioned!!! :D :D
Old 07-10-2011, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by 0tis
I am a cash kind of gal - then I don't owe anyone at the end of the month - but I'm not sure about debit cards - I have never used one - I would be frantically writing it down in my checkbook - I see people all the time using them and they stuff the receipt away - I wonder if they remember to record it. We were taught in school how to write a check and balance our checking acct - I think that is a lost art too.
I work in a bank and balancing a checkbook is definitely a lost art! People will come in and say they are out of balance and when we asked them did they balance their checkbook last month - they get that deer in the headlight look and say well i just went with total last month and it was close! another thing about their checking account - heaven forbid that they know their account number or use a deposit slip. and they wonder why it takes longer for us to wait on them - duh if we didn't have to look up your account number and then fill out your deposit slip for you it would be a lot easier for both of us!one last thing i gotta vent about - count your money BEFORE you leave, we are only human and yes we can make a mistake but if you leave and go to the grocery store and the mall and then call and say we shorted you it's kinda hard to prove it was our error especially when we balanced our drawer. there i vented and i feel a lot better - ready to tackle tomorrow!!!!!
Old 07-10-2011, 11:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by emsgranny
I don't quite understand it - It seems that paying cash for a purchase has become a thing of the past.

Clerks at the various stores look at you like you are just plain crazy if you pay with cash!!! Some of the young ones get that deer in the headlight look even. :lol:

It is so frustrating to me - it seems that most stores do not educate their employees on how to count change back to a customer - I for one miss that!!!! If it wasnt for the registers telling them how much change to give, some of them would be lost. Then they can't count the amount to you - they just hand it back or say 3.26 is your change (thats what the register says anyway) and they just dump it on counter or in your hand. I have made it a point to count it when I receive it because some don't even give the correct change when told how much to give you.

Call me old fashioned but when we were growing up, we didn't and couldn't use calculators in class. This mean't we had to think for ourselves and do math in our heads. Counting out change was routine and showed respect to the customers. I learned early on (started work at concession stand at the pool while I was in 8th grade). My husband helped in concession stand last night with our grand daughters softball team. They were 8 and 9 year olds and he was trying to teach them how to do the math in order to give change-not an easy task. Just saying. I am not bashing my grand daughter by any means - in many ways she is smarter for her young age than I was or can be on some subjects!!!

I have heard it said trends go full circle - like the 70's clothes are coming back in style and even some of the songs are being remade. Do you think the "cash" concept
will ever return???

I doubt it- but whenever I can I will continue to pay cash for my purchases. I dont like signing those electronic pads - where does my signature go??? Where do all my pin numbers go???? I guess I should ask my grand daughter - she would probably know this :lol:

Thanks for listening..I feel better now...will be off to the store soon with cash in hand!!!! cheryl
YES...cash will soon be king...this country is in too much trouble financially and before you know it, if you don't have cash you won't be able to shop...as it is, many stores are now charging you more for those purchases were you use a debit card, and even MORE if you use a CC....this is all going to go up when banks are cut off from Govt. funds and have to support themselves!
Old 07-10-2011, 12:03 PM

I have told some young cashiers what I need in change and they give it to me. I wonder if I would tell them an incorrect amount if they would still give it to me. They probably would. My oldest son learned to do the new "new" math when he was in grade school. He can give you figures faster than you can do it on a calculator.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:15 PM

I'm hearing so much disdain for these kids, but I have to wonder, how do you think they would respond to all the threads here bemoaning the fact that nobody could find the QB because an email didn't come that day?

The daily digest email is to them what a calculator is to you - an obstacle to learning how to do something that, in your respective times, is critical to navigating basic social expectations and in most cases, to holding a job.

I don't mean to be rude about it, but we should all try to be a little more tolerant of those who have different skills than we do.
Old 07-10-2011, 02:39 PM

Making change is a skill that's going the way of the slide rule. I still like to use cash in some situations but am resigned to the wait and fumbling for correct change, and heaven forbid you try to make it easy by giving the cashier, for example, a five and a penny for a $4.51 purchase. You'd be there all day!
Old 07-10-2011, 02:51 PM

I agree with you about some of the people at the cash register not knowing how to do math in their heads. I however like to use a card because cash has so much drugs and other gunk on it, that handling it makes me sick. I have a compromised immune system and so if I touch cash, I have to hurry and wash my hands. I have even heard that some drugs only have to have skin contact to get into our systems. So I really like the card much better.
Old 07-10-2011, 02:52 PM

We have a neighborhood store that gives a .59 cent discount on all cash purchases. Smart grocers. They are constantly busy, all day and evening.