Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Cash payments in stores - Too Old Fashioned??? >

Cash payments in stores - Too Old Fashioned???

Cash payments in stores - Too Old Fashioned???

Old 07-10-2011, 03:17 PM

I'm so used to using my debit/credit cards that I rarely have cash unless I go out of my way to get cash back if I intend to go to yard sales.

Hubby's credit card was hacked at Michael's. Someone in a different state withdrew $200 from our bank account. WF didn't immediately give us a credit, but when the newspaper reported hundreds of local people getting hacked in many banks, they did.

Yes, cash would be refreshing, as would manners and intelligence.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:48 PM

I agreed that not many can count back change. In the store that I work at I believe I am the only one that does. In fact I take pride in it. The older people sometimes make a
comment.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:06 PM

I don't own a debit card and right now our cc are at zero. I pay with cash or check. So many of the grocery stores convert to electrocnic check so I don't even have to write out the check.

As for cursive, take a poll among your grandkids & see if any of them can read cursive. I consider cursive a secret code for us old folks! LOL I have made a point lately of printing inside any birthday cards I send.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:10 PM

I think you should count the change back yourself, as the kids that get these menial jobs are not maths geniuses.They may have been more on the ball in the olden days when there were not as many opportunities for bright kids to get ahead and do something more suitable to their abilities. Now it is different knowledge that they deal with. I think it is wise to help out those of lesser ability by putting in systems that help them to cope as not all of us have average intelligence.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:12 PM

One of my friends just realized that her bank was charging her $1.75 each time she used her debit card for debits. They told her to use it as a credit card even though it is a debit card. That would avoid further charges.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:17 PM

I like being "off the grid" by using cash! To me it's a matter of not following the crowd in some aspect anyway...lol!
Old 07-10-2011, 05:25 PM

I only use my debit card at Costco for gas. I pay cash for as much as I can. I have a special card that I use in the internet that has a real low balance so if it gets hacked they can't do much.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jitkaau
I think you should count the change back yourself, as the kids that get these menial jobs are not maths geniuses.They may have been more on the ball in the olden days when there were not as many opportunities for bright kids to get ahead and do something more suitable to their abilities. Now it is different knowledge that they deal with. I think it is wise to help out those of lesser ability by putting in systems that help them to cope as not all of us have average intelligence.
maybe in Australia these are "minial" jobs..but here in the good ole BROKE USA...ANY job is a good job..I have college grads waiting a year to finally get a MINIAL job in this town...I have one that had to drop out and is now working not one, but THREE of those minial jobs in hopes to make enough to get a decent car and go back to school to finish his LAST semester....

Can they count change back, YES..they also do janitorial work, bag groceries for TIPS only, and run errands for the elderly for $3.00 an hour!
Old 07-10-2011, 07:18 PM

I hate the look you get from young people when you give a couple of pennies so you will get a nickel, dime or quarter back instead of more pennies. It totally confused some of them.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:56 PM

I carry very little cash. Feel safer using my credit card. I know how much I can I can spend. I'm not stupid. Usually only carry my credit card and driver's license into a store with me. Can slip it into a pocket and not have to worry about someone taking off with my purse. I used to live in an area of the state where we had a lot of aliens coming across and was always hearing about some gal having her purse grabbed by someone driving by in a parking lot. If you resisted you were more than likely dragged along until you let go. Not the same world a lot of us grew up in.