Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Cash payments in stores - Too Old Fashioned??? >

Cash payments in stores - Too Old Fashioned???

Cash payments in stores - Too Old Fashioned???

Old 07-10-2011, 08:11 PM

I almost always pay cash, haven't had a problem with it. Cashiers don't even have to know how to make change, since the cash registers now figure it out for them.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by JulieR
I'm hearing so much disdain for these kids, but I have to wonder, how do you think they would respond to all the threads here bemoaning the fact that nobody could find the QB because an email didn't come that day?

The daily digest email is to them what a calculator is to you - an obstacle to learning how to do something that, in your respective times, is critical to navigating basic social expectations and in most cases, to holding a job.

I don't mean to be rude about it, but we should all try to be a little more tolerant of those who have different skills than we do.
Good point! also, this is not a new issue. My first job when i was in H.S. (the 60's) was in the local grocery store. Even then people complained about clecks that could not count change.
while my kids CAN count back change, several places they have worked instructed them to state the amount machine tells them and hand it to the customer, change first then dollars.
they are not supposed to count it out. i was also taught to lay the money on the register until I counted the change back, so there was no question about what you were given. Thats a big no-no now too.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:53 AM

Blame the school system and also lack of support for the school system by the parents.

My husband always says that the schools never teach the kids the meaning of "borrow" which would indicate that the borrower will pay it back. So far, nothing.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:02 AM

If I am paying in cash, I usually give an odd amount so they can give me back even change, and make them count it back to me. A little incidental learning never hurt anyone! (turned into Mrs Siefferman the teacher for a moment there)
Old 07-11-2011, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by pnptrapp
I agree that counting back change is a skill that is often over looked. I'm 31 and it drives me nuts when they have to rely on the coputer to count back change.

One area I'm on the fence about is calculator use. I feel they should be able to do basic math without one, but now-a-days all businesses are using computers for everything, and we an all atest the younger they start using them the better they are at using them!

Just my two cents!
I agree with the computer training - everything has gone that way...Whenever I have a computer question I always ask my grandkids!!! My 5 year old grandson can even get on his games - I have trouble lol
Old 07-11-2011, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by gramajo
Originally Posted by Sandee
I use shecks alot & cashiers really don't like them any more....Too Bad..

I'm a cashier, so handle checks, credit & debit cards. Our check verification machine takes a long time for approval. In the meantime, the line behind the checkwriter is getting longer & people are getting impatient. I had 1 customer down the line ask "why the h*** do you take checks anyway?"

Credit & debit cards also take longer than cash sales. Sometimes when a card is declined, the customer gets mad at us & says they just made a deposit, it should go through, yada, yada, yada. Unless the deposit was cash, most banks won't release the funds until the next day.

I'm not trying to push cash, credit or debit--just trying to present the other side. BTW, I sometimes prefer using checks if I don't have enough cash on me and don't want to put it on a credit card. I don't have a debit card--it seems like too much bookkeeping for me.

Since I am on my soapbox, don't even get me started on rude/impatient/talking on their cellphone customers. Most of us behind the register are trying to do our best and be nice to even the nastiest of customers.

:-)
I too like the checks if I dont have enough cash with me. One day my daughter was with her two young children (ages 2 & 5) She is on a tight budget being a single mom and going to school. Her daughter wanted a toy that was actually on sale (She did know what the clearance stickers looked like lol) My daughter had to tell her no because mommy didnt have enough money - she innocently looked at my DD and said "Just slide that card you use at the bank to get money" Needless to say it turned into a learning experience for her lol

I agree that people arent nearly as atient or nice as they used to be - I was a customer service manager at a well known store for a few years - many moons ago - we only encountered a few customers that didnt smile back or make pleasant small talk. My dad taught me as a young child to be friendly that sometimes it makes a persons day to give them a smile or just a pleasant remark-we were walking to the small store near us and there was a gentlemen walking towards us - dad said HI to him and asked him how he was doing. The man smiled and said thanks for asking - I am great. I asked dad if he knew the man and he said no - to this day I still say HI or give a passerby a smile.

OHHHHHH-The cell phone thing deserves its own post lol
Like you I best not get started here on that lol
Old 07-11-2011, 07:56 AM

We've used a bank debit card for yrs & do record every time we pay with it.No different than when we used checks only(we still use checks).When we come home, the 1st thing done is recording any check/debit card payments made that day.DH doesn't want to pay interest,so we keep all paper work up to date.

Originally Posted by 0tis
I am a cash kind of gal - then I don't owe anyone at the end of the month - but I'm not sure about debit cards - I have never used one - I would be frantically writing it down in my checkbook - I see people all the time using them and they stuff the receipt away - I wonder if they remember to record it. We were taught in school how to write a check and balance our checking acct - I think that is a lost art too.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by JulieR
I'm hearing so much disdain for these kids, but I have to wonder, how do you think they would respond to all the threads here bemoaning the fact that nobody could find the QB because an email didn't come that day?

The daily digest email is to them what a calculator is to you - an obstacle to learning how to do something that, in your respective times, is critical to navigating basic social expectations and in most cases, to holding a job.

I don't mean to be rude about it, but we should all try to be a little more tolerant of those who have different skills than we do.
Thank you. I generally stop reading any thread that only trashes the youths of today.

The fact of life is that they have skills that are necessary to their generation, but not even to mine. Most of today's kids are really used to a credit/debit card system. Why? because so many transactions use that - not cash.

Please think twice before you simply dismiss the "younger" generation as stupid, lazy, and/or incompetent.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:13 AM

I know this so well. When we bought our truck a few years back we brought cash with us for the down payment. When the price was decided on and everything was done, I get the cash out of my purse. The salesman looked at me like I had two heads and says 'oh cash". I was like yeah, is that a problem? Well we would prefer a check. I shook my head and asked what was wrong with cash and he said that they prefer checks because it was easier to keep over the weekend. We were there on a Sunday. They didn't want the cash so I had to write a check, and rush to the bank Monday morning to make sure it would be covered. I just don't get it.
I also cannot believe how many people cannot have no clue on how to count change and that drives me nuts. I had a boss who insisted that we count change back or else. He wouldn't let us use the register to tell us how much change. I don't know how the human race is going to survive in the future.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by valsma
I know this so well. When we bought our truck a few years back we brought cash with us for the down payment. When the price was decided on and everything was done, I get the cash out of my purse. The salesman looked at me like I had two heads and says 'oh cash". I was like yeah, is that a problem? Well we would prefer a check. I shook my head and asked what was wrong with cash and he said that they prefer checks because it was easier to keep over the weekend. We were there on a Sunday. They didn't want the cash so I had to write a check, and rush to the bank Monday morning to make sure it would be covered. I just don't get it.
He should have taken your cash. However, it is dangerous to leave that much cash laying around a business while no one is there (and even when someone IS there), and the banks weren't open for him on Sunday either. It's a liability they don't want to assume; even if they have excellent insurance it might not cover something so foolhardy as that.

Originally Posted by valsma
I also cannot believe how many people cannot have no clue on how to count change and that drives me nuts. I had a boss who insisted that we count change back or else. He wouldn't let us use the register to tell us how much change. I don't know how the human race is going to survive in the future.
Oh, we'll get on the way we always have: by changing with the times. We have cars and mass-produced clothing, too, and we seem to get along just fine with those. ;)