Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Cash payments in stores - Too Old Fashioned??? >

Cash payments in stores - Too Old Fashioned???

Cash payments in stores - Too Old Fashioned???

Old 07-11-2011, 03:24 PM

This is a real pet peeve for me. I hate it when they just plop some bills topped with change into my hand then the chg. rolls off & I have to chase it.

The only clerks who count back your chg. are more mature people. I always thank them for doing it.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:19 PM

My dad taught me to count back change as a young child. He would sit with me in the floor and say "You are the cashier, I bought something that costs XXX and paid with XXX. How much money do you have to give me back?" And I had to count it out.. change first, then dollars. He always said "If you don't know how to count your change, how will you know if you are getting cheated?". I've actually had to tell the cashier how much money to give me back when he/she would accidentally cash out the register without putting in how much I gave him/her. My kids are amazed that I don't grab a calculator when doing math. I always tell them that I can figure it out faster than I can get out the calculator, turn it on and use it. They have even tested me on it. They hate it because I always tell them the right answer before they work in out on the calculator.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:57 AM

LOVE that "deer light in eye" comment ! :D ...I thought it was me with the cash paying situtation but glad to know there are others feeling this same way.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:45 AM
Banned

sadly no, I remember in the 90's a lovely super local food shop had to close because there was a power cut , was daytime and not dark BUT despite there being scales and everything was priced--------not with bar codes but guess why? the young staff had NO comprehension how to weigh/work out price AND give change, SAD!!!
Old 07-16-2011, 05:26 AM

Several years ago I bouoght something for cash and they asked me for ID. Guess it was just force of habit
Old 07-16-2011, 05:54 AM

I use my debit card as much as possible I can dbl check my recpts on line, Carrying cash is scarey any more even out here in the boonies and my bank pays me NOT to write a check
Old 07-16-2011, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by redkimba
Originally Posted by JulieR
I'm hearing so much disdain for these kids, but I have to wonder, how do you think they would respond to all the threads here bemoaning the fact that nobody could find the QB because an email didn't come that day?

The daily digest email is to them what a calculator is to you - an obstacle to learning how to do something that, in your respective times, is critical to navigating basic social expectations and in most cases, to holding a job.

I don't mean to be rude about it, but we should all try to be a little more tolerant of those who have different skills than we do.
Thank you. I generally stop reading any thread that only trashes the youths of today.

The fact of life is that they have skills that are necessary to their generation, but not even to mine. Most of today's kids are really used to a credit/debit card system. Why? because so many transactions use that - not cash.

Please think twice before you simply dismiss the "younger" generation as stupid, lazy, and/or incompetent.
I am so sorry if you took it as a "bashing" of our younger generation. If you read the original post I mentioned clerks in general and did make the comment of the younger ones having a deer in the headlight look - I am nearing 60 so younger to me isnt necessarily school age kids. lol Also if you read further I did say that I am computer illiterate and sometimes I have to have my grandkids help me!!!! It is true times are changing - we have to go with it but I still stand by the fact that some math should be taught so that kids can do math in their heads - I comparision shop alot and its nice to be able to calculate in my head the price per item/ounce/serving - the "value" pack isnt always the biggest value.

I am impressed with what the "kids" know today about computers etc. The last computer course I had was in college and we were still using the data cards lol So it does amaze me how far things have come.

My apologies to anyone who thought I was "bashing" the youth of today...not my intention...I was just saying that I missed the art of counting change!!!

Thanks cheryl :thumbup: :-)
Old 07-16-2011, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by emsgranny
Originally Posted by redkimba
Originally Posted by JulieR
I'm hearing so much disdain for these kids, but I have to wonder, how do you think they would respond to all the threads here bemoaning the fact that nobody could find the QB because an email didn't come that day?

The daily digest email is to them what a calculator is to you - an obstacle to learning how to do something that, in your respective times, is critical to navigating basic social expectations and in most cases, to holding a job.

I don't mean to be rude about it, but we should all try to be a little more tolerant of those who have different skills than we do.
Thank you. I generally stop reading any thread that only trashes the youths of today.

The fact of life is that they have skills that are necessary to their generation, but not even to mine. Most of today's kids are really used to a credit/debit card system. Why? because so many transactions use that - not cash.

Please think twice before you simply dismiss the "younger" generation as stupid, lazy, and/or incompetent.
I am so sorry if you took it as a "bashing" of our younger generation. If you read the original post I mentioned clerks in general and did make the comment of the younger ones having a deer in the headlight look - I am nearing 60 so younger to me isnt necessarily school age kids. lol Also if you read further I did say that I am computer illiterate and sometimes I have to have my grandkids help me!!!! It is true times are changing - we have to go with it but I still stand by the fact that some math should be taught so that kids can do math in their heads - I comparision shop alot and its nice to be able to calculate in my head the price per item/ounce/serving - the "value" pack isnt always the biggest value.

I am impressed with what the "kids" know today about computers etc. The last computer course I had was in college and we were still using the data cards lol So it does amaze me how far things have come.

My apologies to anyone who thought I was "bashing" the youth of today...not my intention...I was just saying that I missed the art of counting change!!!

Thanks cheryl :thumbup: :-)
I'm sorry, my comment was not directed toward you at all. I should have been more clear :thumbup:
Old 07-20-2011, 02:45 AM

Julie R - All is well :-) I agree that sometimes kids get the rough end of the deal especially from the older generation that cant or wont understand the "new" way of doing things. I am proud of my grankids and other kids that can grasp all the new technology - I guess I just like some things done the "old" fashioned way :-) Of course I must say I have finally mastered the TV remote and the DVR thanks to them!!! Love it-not sure how I lived without them :lol: