Cast sock pattern?

Old 02-05-2014, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Painiacs View Post
Yay!! When i broke my ankle my dd cut sock and sewed ties on ot to tie behind foot to stay on, it was white so she drew duck face on it! Ha ha! I live in N Mich so understand bout cold toes!!
That's a good idea about the ties. He opted to stay home today so we haven't tested the cold yet, but we have a couple of appointments to keep later in the day. I guess I'm playing chauffeur. We'll have a good idea if we need a warmer solution by the end of the day.

Originally Posted by Gerbie View Post
Have you thought about getting some of the socks that have the non skid so to speak rubber dots on them, would that work over the cast and make it so perhaps there is no slipping? Just a thought.
I had thought of those, but the cast is so very wide, I've never seen socks that wide. I will try to go into Mark's WorkWearhouse and see what they have. They do workwear so maybe they have size gargantuan...

Originally Posted by Digger View Post
the web site "sewmamasew" has a free pattern for fleece socks which looks easy and should be warm. You can buy non-slip pads to apply to the sole
Thanks Digger! I'll check that out momentarily!
Old 02-05-2014, 08:10 PM

I would not have known what a toque was. Now I know! : )
Old 02-05-2014, 09:35 PM

I think Tartan's idea is brilliant, whatever you want to call it, but probably you should get some of the bumpy fabric that's used for the soles of kid's feet pajamas - available at fabric stores - and sew that on so it will be less slippery. And of course make sure the hat fits snugly so that it doesn't cause a tripping hazard. Maybe some stick-on velcro on the cast and sewn on the inside of the hat would help to keep it where it belongs.

Wishing your hubby a speedy recovery!
Old 02-06-2014, 09:18 AM
pal

You could go to Jo-Ann's sale bin and buy a remnant of fleece. Then just measure around the cast and make a tube to fit over it. Maybe dots of hot glue would work for the bottom, making it non-slip.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:45 AM

A few years ago my husband had foot surgery just before Christmas. Of course, we had already made plans to travel from California to Ohio for the holidays - so how to keep his foot warm? I went to Walmart and bought a velvet Christmas stocking and it fit beautifully over all the bandaging (should fit over a removable cast also). When it came time that he could put weight on his foot, I added glue dots to the bottom of the sock for non-skid - use the non washable kind and let dry completely. Anyhow, the point is any Christmas stocking pattern can be used and adjusted for size easily. The nice long leg of the pattern will keep it up in place. And best of all -- it is washable!
Old 02-08-2014, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Rose_P View Post
I think Tartan's idea is brilliant, whatever you want to call it, but probably you should get some of the bumpy fabric that's used for the soles of kid's feet pajamas - available at fabric stores - and sew that on so it will be less slippery. And of course make sure the hat fits snugly so that it doesn't cause a tripping hazard. Maybe some stick-on velcro on the cast and sewn on the inside of the hat would help to keep it where it belongs.

Wishing your hubby a speedy recovery!
Thanks Rose. It turns out, even at -8F, DH is overheating in his cast. Whew! The funk of that! Baking soda has been my best friend! When we go out, he says he's not cold and thinks it's the inflammation in the toe that's acting as a heater for the rest of the foot.

I suspect that will change once the swelling goes down and things get further along in the healing process. I did manage to knit him a deformed looking sock for when that happens. It took me 3 days!

He was off this whole week, because we ended up going into emergency on Wednesday night with his toe swollen to twice its size with a huge blood blister. The doctor said he shouldn't be on it. He's getting about 20 minutes at a go before he needs to sit and ice it. He's in for the long haul I think.

I'm trying to keep his mind engaged anyway by planning little 20 minute things to do around the house. It's not fun, but he's not as likely to get "down in the dumps". He's usually so active this is really taking its toll on him.

Originally Posted by pal View Post
You could go to Jo-Ann's sale bin and buy a remnant of fleece. Then just measure around the cast and make a tube to fit over it. Maybe dots of hot glue would work for the bottom, making it non-slip.
Thanks pal! We don't have Jo-Ann's here, but I could do the same with Fabricland. I do have some fleece, but I don't think he'll appreciate the kitties and yarnballs on it.

Originally Posted by M cubed View Post
A few years ago my husband had foot surgery just before Christmas. Of course, we had already made plans to travel from California to Ohio for the holidays - so how to keep his foot warm? I went to Walmart and bought a velvet Christmas stocking and it fit beautifully over all the bandaging (should fit over a removable cast also). When it came time that he could put weight on his foot, I added glue dots to the bottom of the sock for non-skid - use the non washable kind and let dry completely. Anyhow, the point is any Christmas stocking pattern can be used and adjusted for size easily. The nice long leg of the pattern will keep it up in place. And best of all -- it is washable!
M Cubed, I really like this idea! If once the swelling goes down, he feels like he's cold, I will do that for sure.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:11 AM

Here in US people with an cast on one foot get a contraption with wheels under it that has an elevated flat place for a knee and has a handle like a scooter that kids play with. They seem to prefer it to crutches. Dont know where you get one. You could cut the sleeve off of a sweater and stitch the end closed to slip over the cast.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:29 PM

thanks gmcsewer... I think here with all the snow the wheels might be problematic. DH clearly didn't think it through when he decided to be in a cast in the winter. Lots of things would have been easier without the snow.

What I have done so far is make him this "sock" that can go inside the cast and cover his toes. So far, he's over heating still due to the swelling though. (I'll spare you the emergency room photo of the 5cc of liquid still in his toe that the doctor had to drain. )

[ATTACH=CONFIG]461775[/ATTACH]

I picked up a few stitches at the beginning (almost 10 of them somehow) which I think is where the wave came from, then joined them together as I went along. I'm pleased since it may be the first knitted project I've ever finished, and it doesn't look like I dropped any stitches. This was knitted flat and stitched together into a seam. I ended up switching from double pointed needles to "Regular" ones part way through when I started finding stitches falling off the back end while I was trying to work on the front end, but other than that, it seemed easier than I remember when I was a "kid".
Attached Thumbnails sockqb.jpg