Cat lover or not....

Old 01-31-2011, 08:08 AM

It would make you want to put up a sign of your own. Check out what the police say about it. Otherwise "kill" 'em with kindness. Smile and say hi to them if you see them.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:10 AM
Cyn

Originally Posted by ptquilts
depending on where you live, (small town or city) the sign may be a violation. I know larger towns have rules about signs. Call city hall if you have one. Good luck.

On a more devious note, I would do things in front of the cameras that would make him call the police. For instance, get a dozen potted plants all alike that look similar to marijuana. Take them out of the house once a day and water them in the back yard. Then, looking all around, bring them back into the house. Leave them in a room in sight of the camera with grow lights on day and night.
or go out at night and dig a hole in the back yard, put a "bundle" of something in there. Cover it up, look suspicious.

After a few false alarms to the cops, HE will look like a kook.
This made me laugh like crazy! It actually sounds like it might work! My cats go in and out of our house in our fenced in yard. Only one will jump the fence. I told my neighbors to please squirt her with water if they see her in their yard so she will think our yard is the only safe place and it has worked for all but one of mine over 20 years! I have had bunches of rescues and they will stay in our yard. My 2 dogs keep stryas out of the fence. I did have a feral cat in the front yard for 2 years that I fed but she became aggressive and we had to drug her and have her put to sleep. I cried and cried over that but I can't save them all! Sorry bout your neighbor. They sound pretty unreasonable!
Old 01-31-2011, 08:29 AM

My first thought is to get that cat trap back and keep trapping them unashamedly...with cameras on and sign a-pointing!

I have a cat, and there is no way I can control where he goes when he's out. It's absurd for someone with four or five cats to assure you that his cats never go in your yard.

Second thought is to borrow a dog for a week or so...that will discourage the cats from coming around!
Old 01-31-2011, 08:55 AM

How about you put up a sign on your yard, pointing to him, that says, "Irresponsible Pet Owner."

And maybe "Peeping Tom" too! That SPYING on your yard has got to be against some law...
Old 01-31-2011, 11:44 AM

For instance, get a dozen potted plants all alike that look similar to marijuana. Take them out of the house once a day and water them in the back yard. Then, looking all around, bring them back into the house. Leave them in a room in sight of the camera with grow lights on day and night.
or go out at night and dig a hole in the back yard, put a "bundle" of something in there. Cover it up, look suspicious.
-----------------------------------
Oh, I LOVE this one. It sounds like something my family would do, and has done in the past!!!

And I would add a cardboard fence on his side of them so that his cameras couldn't quite get a good look at the plants. Then rush out after bringing in the plants and carefully fold the cardboard and put it under cover!!
Old 01-31-2011, 11:54 AM

Oh, we are a wicked bunch aren't we!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 01-31-2011, 11:55 AM

I think it's terrible that your neighbor does not take repsonsibility for his animals. That being said, I think you should have taken the trap with the cat in it over to his house to make sure it wasn't one of his. Then you are sending a message that you plan to trap any stray cats. It may have avoided the sign (which is just childish) and have resulted in him keeping a closer eye on his cats.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:31 PM

I love these answers. It means I'm in good company. All these are good answers, if not hilarious, but you might also try moth balls in the litter box. They stopped my cats from getting into my house plants. Now I have one that just tries to climb the "tree". I have 2 cats and 1 dog and don't let the cats out at all and the dog is supervised. I had a cat before that got out accidently - he'd never been outside before - and an owl got him. Now, I understand the circle of life, but they can stick with the field mice and leave my kitty alone. But . . . . I still miss my buddy. Anyway, back on subject, try the mothballs. It may just help and they kill bugs that may be in the plants.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:34 PM

Sounds like your neighbor is mad because he was proven wrong-some people just can't handle being wrong and must take it out on others. I have two indoor cats and stray cats are around all of the time-I've seen a cluster of feathers at the bird feeders :(. It is very inconsiderate of anyone not caring for their animals. Usually cats do not "go" in their own yards. I just hate mowing the yard and finding "treasures". If you fix a nice flower bed, that is the most popular place and tending the garden is unsanitary. I have tried a lot of things, moth balls, orange peels, even little stakes about 3" tall about every 5" in flowers. BUT this makes you place look untidy and at your expense!
Old 01-31-2011, 12:39 PM
Cyn

Originally Posted by bodie358
I think it's terrible that your neighbor does not take repsonsibility for his animals. That being said, I think you should have taken the trap with the cat in it over to his house to make sure it wasn't one of his. Then you are sending a message that you plan to trap any stray cats. It may have avoided the sign (which is just childish) and have resulted in him keeping a closer eye on his cats.
This sounds like the best answer although not the most funny :)