Cat lover or not....

Old 02-01-2011, 04:41 AM

there are some cats in the area and they are strays, some beautiful ones.
some have had babies, and guess who gets them and takes them to a shelter! Me and do the neighbors look at me. I don't mean just a few cats/kittens, I mean a bunch. So I decided to do this cause its not good for them to run around the neighborhood. I'd rather put them in a shelter than they come begging at my door for food. which I now have about 6 that do that now. I think you did a good thing, oh and did the cat have a collar with name , date of shots etc? if its his cat he should have .... I hate it that these strays aren't taken care of, so I occasionally feed them, especially when it was deathly cold this past month. Which of course that was a big no-no. the owner of the trailer park won't do anything about it either, and I sure hate something to happen to them!
Old 02-01-2011, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by Melinda in Tulsa
I'm ornery enough I would put a sign up in MY yard saying, D**n right, keep your animals home.

And I have 3 dogs and 5 cats.
Yep - they don't belong out on their own. He doesn't deserve to have pets IMHO
Old 02-01-2011, 05:06 AM

I love the idea of borrowing a dog!
Old 02-01-2011, 05:54 AM

We have 2 female indoor-only cats, both spayed. They don't go into heat. But we had a problem with male cats coming up on our front porch and spraying the walls and door, and sometimes the back door on the deck. The smell seeped into the house, clung to our shoes and got tracked into the house and car. One morning when I got to work I had to straight to the restroom and wash the bottoms of my shoes because I reeked. They ruined the rugs on my porch and a large wicker basket. We were constantly washing the porch and siding off with bleach water. DH was fed up and got traps from the pound. He caught 3 and took them to the pound. One belonged to next door neighbor -- DH said he didn't recognize it, but I think he was just so fed up he didn't care. That cat was neutered and I actually don't think he was the problem. They apologized for the inconvenience to us and I offered to help pay for the $200 fee they had to pay to get the cat back. They declined, and things felt uncomfortable between us for a while but it all settled down.

Another cat was a huge ratty male with a torn-up ear and in very bad shape. The pound put him to sleep because he was so unhealthy. A few days later a lady we didn't know stormed into my husband's office and threw a fit about him being a cat hater and killer. She lived down the alley behind us and had been feeding that cat, along with several other feral cats, which were likely the ones we were having problems with. She said she'd heard we were trapping innocent cats and hauling them into animal control and she was livid when she found out the cat had been put down. She was totally unreasonable. DH told her in fact we love cats, but we are responsible for our animals. If she's feeding them and encouraging them to hang around, she's part of the problem. And he said if cats continued to spray our home, he would continue to trap them. Animal control would figure out what to do with them. Once that ratty cat was gone, we had only a few isolated incidents of spraying.

If the problem continues in your yard, continue to trap the cats. You might want to try the mothballs or other repellants as well to keep them out. If you want to take the high road, call your neighbor to identify the cat and give him an opportunity to reclaim it before you take it away, but he sound totally unreasonable. Document any harassment as well as every time you catch a cat and what you did with it. You are within your rights to take care of your own property.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:58 AM

I love cats. I own a cat, she is my 3rd one, the other 2 I have had to have put to sleep. My cat is an inside cat as I think all cats should be. There is a leash law for dogs, why not a leash law for cats. I do not like my neighbors cat or any stray cat coming into my yard and doing their business, it stinks and when I work in my flower bed I always get into a mess of it. I say keep your cats inside or on a leash.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:55 AM

I know in Canada the cameras pointed at your house and not anywhere else is considered harassment and punishable under the criminal code.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Mamagus
I know in Canada the cameras pointed at your house and not anywhere else is considered harassment and punishable under the criminal code.
I think it would be a very good idea to look at the codes for your city/county/state and see what's legal.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:30 AM

My husband once trapped 64 cats in a four-month period because of our neighbor taking in strays yet letting them run the neighborhood. I have a horrible fear of animals - cats being the worse fear. I just cannot even stand to see a cat on the TV. It bothers me so much. So you can imagine how I felt with all of the neighbor's cats in my yard plus they were sleeping on our new Tahoe and could have possibly scratched it. She called the police. The police came and looked at the trap and said we were not doing anything wrong. He told her to keep her pets in her yard. It was a huge problem for years until she moved. - Cynthia
Old 02-01-2011, 07:51 AM

LOL! I would send my kids or geandkids out there to put on a play! Or, a BIG sign on the property line high enough to fill his whole lens w/ a sign of my ownLOL. I do admit cats from the area can be an issue, esp if you live in a town and the houses are close. I feed everyone and mine are neutered so they dont fight so much, plus I have a dog that keeps them at bay.
What I hate are DOGS! We have a leash law in town, and I have a large dog. He is w/ me at all times, is in the house w/ me and when he has to go out he has a fenced in yard. He is NEVER ever loose outside. However! every one else in the 'hood w/ any amt of dogs thinks that law must be for someone else cus ALL the dogs use my yard as a potty. when I see someones dog going on my lawn, I just go out and clean up a bunch of piles by taking the freshest and dumping it in the persons yard who owns the last dog who went, then for good measure I dump a little more. Most of the neighbors have managed to curb their dogs, except for one, who gets a pile a week (they hire someone to clean it up!!!) share t
Old 02-01-2011, 07:56 AM
Power Poster

my goodness, cats roam. it's natural. if he lets them outside, they will roam. period.
i have 3 and they are all inside cats. my neighbors have cats and i would never catch them and have them taken away.