Cat lover or not....

Old 02-01-2011, 07:58 AM

What does Animal Control saw about this irresponsible cat owner? If the neighbors want pets they have to care for them, not you!
Old 02-01-2011, 08:14 AM

I would post a sign, just as big, with the words 'Irresponsible cat owner' and an arrow pointing to their house. What's good for the goose...! Yes, this is a childish response, but it would show them that they will only make things worse by continuing.
If you go to your local big box grocery and buy the big containers of black pepper, and pepper your yard, you will be cat free.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:15 AM
Power Poster

Hmmm well he is the one that said the ones in your yard were not his cats. Cats will go every where and they especially do their business not at their own property unless you use a cat littler box. I think there is stuff you can put in your yard to deter cats from going there. Good luck I think your neighbors cats are the least of your worries.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:31 AM

Cats are a very touchy subject for cat people. We have several bird feeders and love to watch our birds. Our neighbor got 2 cats last summer and they have terrorized the birds since then.We don't have any pets and really have had trouble with people that can't or don't control theirs. We are still trying to figure out how to keep the cats where they belong and that would not be at the feeders in our yard !!
Old 02-01-2011, 08:34 AM

Your neighbor sounds like a nut case! Like it's YOUR fault her cats come and crap in your yard? Geesh. She's lucky all you did is trap them. I'd call law enforcement about those cameras. If they're really operational, it's probably illegal for her to do that.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:49 AM

What an interesting thread. I like cats but don't currently own any and have had some litter box action going on in my yard and garden. I bought some spray in the garden dept. of the hardware store that is really stinky (smells like onion and camphor, but all natural) - you just spray it around the yard perimeter and it deters the cats. It smells a little for a day or two and says you can apply it weekly but I only had to do a couple applications. Another deterent for cats is to put chicken wire under the mulch because the cats don't like the feeling of it when they scratch around to dig their hole.
I believe you were within your rights to trap the animal, but I also know from experience how unsettling it is to be at odds with a next door neighbor. Hang in there.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:00 AM

We have 5 feral cats who make our yard home. In the spring, the feral cat group is going to help me trap them. They will be neutered, get shots and a physical. I will pay for this at a greatly reduced cost. Then they will be turned back out. Two are tuxedos and 3 are torties (one a huge male Manx). I feel them Iams and they are looking good and have very shiny coats.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:26 AM

Put the signs away and take out the gun!! Cat lover or not, get rid of the strays!!
Old 02-01-2011, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan
my goodness, cats roam. it's natural. if he lets them outside, they will roam. period.
i have 3 and they are all inside cats. my neighbors have cats and i would never catch them and have them taken away.
Exactly! Our cats are indoor cats, but I love seeing the neighborhood cats come around. We have had far more problems with human neighbors trespassing onto our property.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Melinda in Tulsa
I'm ornery enough I would put a sign up in MY yard saying, D**n right, keep your animals home.

And I have 3 dogs and 5 cats.
lol... me too.. the new neighbor's hadn't even moved in yet, when their dog got in my flower bed & dug up several new rose bushes i had just planted.

i caught the dog, brought her back to the neighbors... told them the next time the dog dug up my garden, i would be serving her from my crock pot w/bbq sauce...

so, they came over, helped me replant the roses, replaced the 2 that didn't make it.. and we are the best of friends... and, we dog sit when they go out of town.

just depends on the pet owner, and unfortunately they are alway people... lol