Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Christmas Music how soon is too soon? >

Christmas Music how soon is too soon?

Christmas Music how soon is too soon?

Old 11-03-2013, 04:05 AM

the real Christmas music…..any time at all.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:06 AM

Christmas season starts the 26th of December. (Get what I mean?) But I don't start the decorating and the music until December 1. Traditional in our family. Then starts the Lutefisk, the Potatis Korv, Stollen and other mementos that are privy to our family and anyone else that wants to know our traditions. The tree goes up the Saturday before my sister's birthday (December 20) and the tree comes down the day after my husband's birthday (January 4) (unfortunately he passed away this past March, but he knows I will still always take the tree down on January 4). This year I will have an artificial tree all decorated out on the porch - it was my mother's tree (she passed away this past July) and that will stay up until the 6th of January (Epiphany). The big tree will be a Fraser Fir, which was my husband's favorite. But the five weeks of Christmas will be loaded with music - preferably the carols. My very best favorite is "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day".

I hope to have everything done early this year so I can sit back and sew on my quilts and those will be the "I didn't get them done for Christmas, but I hope you like a nice Fourth of July gift!!!!!!"

I have the Christmas spirit every day as every one should. The Christmas spirit lasts such a short time with some people and then some people start getting grumbly around the middle of Christmas. I feel bad for them because this is such a good time of year. It may not be as important as Easter, but still it seems to be a time when people are happier and more willing to help.

I love Christmas music, but I love it the best when there is snow on the ground and everyone comes together and the world is just a little bit better. I guess that is the spirit, eh? Edie
Old 11-03-2013, 04:16 AM

One of our grocery store chains had a holiday open house yesterday, music and all. It was too early for me, though I did stock up on walnuts and pecans at a great discount. I like to enjoy Thanksgiving first. Our tradition is to start decorating Thanksgiving afternoon to work off some of the food.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:44 AM

Seems Thanksgiving is an important forgotten holiday, and I for one don't like to hear Christmas music or see Christmas decor before Thanksgiving. Most stores are beginning to put up Christmas decor before halloween. Christmas is a Holy day and should be celebrated as one.
I will get off my soap box now.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:34 AM

Traditional Christmas music is all I ever listen to. I lost most of my hearing many, many years ago so I can't follow along with music unless I already know it by heart. So, any time I am in the mood for music, its Christmas music for me.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:45 AM

Around about the 20th of December is early enough. I remember one year the radio stations started playing too early and there were so many complaints that it was banned until close to Christmas. I personally get very annoyed at the same jingle being played repeatedly - it is llike water torture.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:05 AM

Personally I do not think anything to do with Christmas should be around til right after Thanksgiving. Before we know it, Christmas season will be starting in June!!!
Old 11-03-2013, 06:17 AM

Sang my first Christmas Carol of the season yesterday. But it was at the Salvation Army tea and doll auction. Over 600 18" dolls on display-each one cuter than the next.

But - I prefer to wait until after Thanksgiving to hear carols on a regular basis.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post

I love Christmas music, but not before Thanksgiving Day.
I agree!! Let's have Thanksgiving first!!
Old 11-03-2013, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by redquilter View Post
They start playing it so darn early by the time Christmas is here I can't stand it anymore. To me, it shouldn't start until AFTER Thanksgiving. That poor holiday gets no respect!
I agree with redquilter--Thanksgiving tends to get lost in the shuffle. Let's have our day to be thankful before we get the Christmas music out.