Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Cliches'...."pay it forward" >

Cliches'...."pay it forward"

Cliches'...."pay it forward"

Old 05-30-2014, 07:19 AM
Power Poster

Or you could "Do lunch your treat" especially if she just needs to get out of the house.
Originally Posted by lots2do View Post
Speaking of that, I need some feedback on something I'd like to do for someone who used to be a bigger part of my life when we worked together. I bumped into her today and she was filling me in on some hard times she's been having, all the while cheerful with a great attitude. Times are hard but they are doing what they can to meet their obligations. I'd love to get her a gift certificate to a restaurant they like. Would it be kind ( which is my intention) or would it embarrass her?
Old 05-30-2014, 09:35 AM

Default wonderful idea!

Originally Posted by lots2do View Post
Speaking of that, I need some feedback on something I'd like to do for someone who used to be a bigger part of my life when we worked together. I bumped into her today and she was filling me in on some hard times she's been having, all the while cheerful with a great attitude. Times are hard but they are doing what they can to meet their obligations. I'd love to get her a gift certificate to a restaurant they like. Would it be kind ( which is my intention) or would it embarrass her?
I think it would be greatly appreciated! Just insert a nice note either explaining your intentions or tellng you you just wanted rto say thank you for all the things shes done... I think its all inhow you present it. i recently did this and she said ''I just cried a your kindness, sometimes when you need the help, you can't let your pride get in the way of accepting a gift !'' Made me cry!
Old 05-30-2014, 09:42 AM
Power Poster

The reason I won't/don't tell someone "to pay it forward"- is that - to me - it implies a condition on the gift.

As in - you are getting something from me - now it will be your turn to give something to someone else.

I feel beholden until I do something when someone tells me "to pay it forward" or "to pass it on"
Old 05-30-2014, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by moonrise View Post
The only ones I can think of offhand are "baby bump", and when they combine a celebrity couple's name, such as Brangelina or Kimye. Ugh.
I also don't like "baby daddy" instead of "baby's father". It sounds so stupid - like the baby is a father! Haha!
Old 05-30-2014, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by cizzors View Post
Baby bump, I say pregnant. The one that really gets me is "I'm on a fixed income". This usually comes from retirees. I don't work anymore by choice. When I did, if I was going to be over 40 hrs for the week, I had to 'kill' time so there wasn't any OT. My husband is salary. Right now he is putting between 60-70 hrs a week in. He does not get OT-fixed income. Depending on the conversation, some people think they are exclusive because of their 'fixed income'. I just roll my eyes and laugh.
I also don't get the "fixed income". Really, unless you have a money tree in your backyard, we're ALL on a fixed income. As a retiree, my income is considerably less than it was a few years ago, but it's no more fixed than it was then!
Old 05-30-2014, 10:28 AM

People say fixed income like it is bad (I can't work overtime to get more money). But with so many people unemployed or underemployed, I think fixed income is good! Even if it is small, you know it is coming in steady every month.

I don't mind Pay it Forward but I hate Baby Bump as well as Baby Daddy and Baby Mama.
Old 05-30-2014, 02:26 PM

I work at a hospital and on occasion I have bought a cup of coffee, crackers, soda or a meal for a guest's family member or for a co-worker. For the most part they don't know who I am and look confused at first when I pay for whatever they have chosen but after the confusion, smiles light up their faces. I must confess that it makes my day! So it's always a win win for me!! I don't consider it paying it forward or the such, it's just something that makes me happy to do..

Last edited by labtechkty; 05-30-2014 at 02:28 PM.
Old 05-30-2014, 02:44 PM
Power Poster

Some people just need to be reminded . BE NICER THAN YOU HAVE TO BE. How's that

I am paying it forward right now cause I really want to say..........

I must not be "getting it". I think I have to reassess my priorities.

peace
Old 05-30-2014, 03:41 PM

No matter what it is called, The older I get the more I realize that I have a lot more than some and It is all a blessing from above. God is good to me every day. Some times He uses others to deliver that blessing and some times in just a very small gesture and some times in a much more noticeable way. I try to show kindness in some way every day in what ever way that the opportunity presents it's self. I feel so much better if I can do something for someone else. I don't have a lot by the worlds standards but I am rich in blessings. I thank my Heavenly Father for it.
Old 05-30-2014, 07:51 PM

Actually, I like the 'pay it forward'. Being an independent sort, I feel it allows me to graciously accept what someone is giving me or doing for me, without feeling an obligation to return the favor to that person. It also shows me the person doing for me did not do it with the expectation of payback. That is a feel good thing.