Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: computer scam

Quote Originally Posted by noveltyjunkie View Post
    It's difficult to believe that anyone would fall for this. Even if they could detect your problems (how?), why would they be offering to fix them for free? Surely most people understand that the other person has to getting something out of the transaction?
    Believe me, they count on people (mostly the elderly) to fall for stunts like this.

Quote Originally Posted by rosiewell View Post
    I have caller ID, if I don't recognize the number showing I don't pick up, works great!
    i have caller id also. also have a block the "unknown number, unknown caller" ... but answered a few times and it was my husband from work. even tho it said unknown number. he works at a gov't construction site overseen by the DOE. neither one of us can figure out why the calls come thru different all the time. so ...i answer wierd ones now. i would hate to ignore a caller id saying unknown number and it be my husband calling from his construction job site w an emergency !!
    the rogue quilter - in from wandering in the sun and snow with camera in hand.

Quote Originally Posted by roguequilter View Post
    i have caller id also. also have a block the "unknown number, unknown caller" ... but answered a few times and it was my husband from work. even tho it said unknown number. he works at a gov't construction site overseen by the DOE. neither one of us can figure out why the calls come thru different all the time. so ...i answer wierd ones now. i would hate to ignore a caller id saying unknown number and it be my husband calling from his construction job site w an emergency !!
    For some reason my doctor's office comes up as unknown caller and some of the phones in my kids' school did as well. I answer it. I can just as easily hang up.
    ~Sharon

I don't answer calls from area codes I am unfamiliar with. If they know me, they will leave a MESSAGE

I have had the same call many times. They are trying to sell you a computer clean up program. My husband tells them that this is a government computer and can he speak to his supervisor? He always hangs up!
    Michelle Guadarrama

when you see those odd area codes or unknown number show up, pick up the receiver and start pushing the # sign repeatedly.....then when you listen, there will be a dial tone.....if it is a computerized call, the computer gets a message that this is not a valid number....I tried this and it has worked on several irritating idiot call centers that used to call me.

Blog Entries
    I had a similar experience. I got the call about my "windows" having a problem. I knew this was a scam. I asked the man how he could sleep at night knowing he was so dishonest. I then hung up the phone. Just a couple of minutes later and the phone ran again. I checked the i. d and the call was from Texas. The "window'' guy had called from Ohio.
    I answered the phone. The guy called me by my last night. I asked what the call was about. The man said he had an important message for me. He then told me to F. off. I was in shock and hung up. I now let these calls got to voice mail.

We've had these phone calls on and off over the past 2 years. We're a mac house so its always fun to get phone calls from "Steven" or "James" with the thick accent who tell me that my registry has something or other wrong with it; macs dont have a registry. So I'll let them rattle on a while and then I let burst lol

The last phone call I got was from someone wanting me to take some sort of survey but I told them i wasnt interested. He started to shout at me! I let rip and told him that if his call was indeed being recorded his supervisor would be having a word with him when the call was reviewed, he then hung up on me lol

Years ago, before caller ID, I was getting obscene phone call which I reported to the police. They told me to keep a whistle by the phone and give the caller a good blast with it. I only got 1 or 2 calls after using the whistle.

CurliQ-LOL after reading what you've posted Love what you do to them. I'm going to do the same the next time those losers call me! I've been contacted by them several times over the past 2 years and I end up telling them off. I'm going to approach them with your method next time! I feel for those who fall for what they say. Wish someone could do more about it, but they're obviously calling from outside of the country. Not so sure if anything can ever be done.

gramajo-I love the whistle idea!!!!

Blog Entries
    I just told them I didn't have a computer. They hung up immediately and no more calls. Still get the rare call but do the same and haven't had one in ages

Blog Entries
    When I feel up to it, I play games with them. I say to a male voice, why haven't you paid me the money you owe me, or to a female voice that she better stop seeing my husband, sometimes I answer with another language or just speak total gibberish. I never admit to being who I am. Mostly I ignore the calls but we also get calls from doctor's office and friends that show up as unknown caller.

Power Poster
    I had the same situation when I bought avast security system. Be careful...

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    Why does anybody even answer a phone call from an unknown number/area code?
    My husband's work phone comes up with odd numbers and area codes...so it could easily be him...plus, my dr. office comes up unknown all the time.
    Tink's Mom (My name is really Susie)

I bought a coach's whistle from the sporting goods section at Wal-Mart. Whenever telemarketers or scammers call, I give them a long blast with the whistle! They evidently spread the word because it will be months before I get another cal. LOL!

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by rosiewell View Post
    I have caller ID, if I don't recognize the number showing I don't pick up, works great!
    I do the same and my two dogs look at me, they are thinking-why don't I answer the thing. The caller never leaves a message, love my caller ID on every phone.

Bad bad neighbor......both hubby & wife are disabled, so answering the phone is a job....when they get repeated scam calls they ask them to not call again, that is being nice---when another call comes, they tell them they can't hear them as there is a phone problem...then they blow a whistle-loud-hang up///stops a call back. Their phone is an unlisted number

Blog Entries
    I really like your way of handling this situation, maybe add, let me get my other son to help. Tell the intruder you are so proud of him because he is an FBI investigator.
    Quote Originally Posted by CurliQ View Post
    I've had a couple of those. I like to play with them until they get frustrated and hang up. I start by saying, do I have to turn on my computer first? Where is the on button? and filled with lots of chit chat like, my son usually does it for me but he's away at college, do you have kids, I miss him so much, oh here, is it that little red button or the black one? Ya know, they make these things so confusing.............Now if I can just manage to give that rich guy my bank acct number so he can send me all his money
    Create something beautiful from scraps.

Thanks, Grace. Sometimes I feel a bit bad about playing with them but as Stichit says
    Quote Originally Posted by Stitchit123 View Post
    . Hey sometimes you just have to create your own giggle of the day.
    I think I will add the bit about the FBI investigator into my mad hatter's ramblings whilst I try to find the on button.
    ~Sharon

I told my dh to call the phone company tomorrow and check on the price for caller ID. We are getting sick of the calls. He loves to get them on the phone and talk and talk. Asking all kinds of questions. Their name, their company's name, anything that wastes their time. The more time you keep them on the phone, the less money they are making. After a while they will hang up on him. He loves to put two phones together so they squeal. After a while saying he can't hear them, they will hang up.

This morning our phone rang at 10 am our time. They man keep saying "good afternoon." I questioned him about the afternoon. People on the east coast and other time zones don't realize we are on Mountain Standard Time. Not Mountain Daylight as they think. In the summer we are California daylight time. Winter Mountain Stardard. Arizona does not believe in Mountain Daylight time.

Maybe DH will think we can afford the extra dollars for caller ID. We are retired but I think we can afford the extra each month. \

Putting your name on the Do Not Call list hasn't helped a bit.

Blog Entries
    Ive been known to answer unknown or strange area codes by saying...Thank you for calling the Grants Pass Walmart where can I direct your call? Thats usually for strange area codes. But because the VA hospital calls from unknown numbers, I have it set up with them to call let it ring 3 times hang up and call right back. They have done that for years for me.
    There comes a time in life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh, forget the bad, and focus on the good. So, love the people who treat you right. Think good thoughts for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is part of LIFE...Getting back up is LIVING...

Blog Entries
    Great advice.......thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2