Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: computer scam

computer scam

Please be careful...
    I just hung up with a man with a very heavy accent...he was calling from an out of area phone #.
    He told me that he has been watching my computer for the last few days and that my computer is corrupted and he can fix it over the phone. He wanted me to go to my computer and log in....
    I went down to the family room and whispered to my husband what this guy wanted...he took the phone and he listened and then went off on the guy. Told him that he built computers (he does) and all sorts of technical stuff, etc.....and that this guy was scamming and to back off....this went on for at least a minute. The guy hung up the phone.

PLEASE do not do what these callers want...all you are doing is letting them have access to your information. I didn't fall for it because my parents got a call like this a couple of weeks ago...and they don't even own a computer.
    Tink's Mom (My name is really Susie)

I have had probably the same call 3 days in a row. I told him I didn't have time to do what he wanted me to and to have a good day and hung up. He called back the next day and my husband told him you called yesterday and the day before then he hung up. It is the same guy that called a few months ago and if we hang up on him he would call back.....he was rude and hateful...my husband told him he was a scammer and the guy called my husband a A**hole and hung up.

You just have to be smart and NOT fall for what they want...Don't let them catch you off guard.
    Got-to Love those Dachshunds!!!!!

Quilters STITCH Together!!

Super Member just_the_scraps_m'am's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    that's why I have an answering machine; they can call forever + ever, it doesn't bother me!!!
    "variety is the spice of life"

Can't hear them, have an answering machine. I don't want to waste my time being irritated by these scummy people.
    Lori

Blog Entries
    It's difficult to believe that anyone would fall for this. Even if they could detect your problems (how?), why would they be offering to fix them for free? Surely most people understand that the other person has to getting something out of the transaction?

I have had calls like this and tell them I have been watching them and have reported them to the FBI .

I've had a couple of those. I like to play with them until they get frustrated and hang up. I start by saying, do I have to turn on my computer first? Where is the on button? and filled with lots of chit chat like, my son usually does it for me but he's away at college, do you have kids, I miss him so much, oh here, is it that little red button or the black one? Ya know, they make these things so confusing.............Now if I can just manage to give that rich guy my bank acct number so he can send me all his money
    ~Sharon

Look up the FTC website for current scams and what to be watchful for.

I usually don't answer the phone but recently picked up to one of these calls. He said my "PC" had problems. I said "very interesting because I have a Mac". He then hung up. If I ever get careless like that again I'm going to say I don't even own a computer!!
    Alyce

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Why does anybody even answer a phone call from an unknown number/area code?
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

I don't have caller ID so I do answer the phone but just hang up when I get this sort of call.

Gotta love caller I.D
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Once you agree and type in what they tell you to they CAN get into your computer and control and see everything. I had a real tech take over my computer while we were on the phone it was weird to see my mouse move around the computer screen while I wasn't touching it.

If you happen to answer the phone to these guys tell them you are going to call the police if they call back.

We get several of these calls a week. I tell them to hold on while I go to turn on the computer and leave the line open. I wonder how many people (my guess is older people who are not too computer savvy) have their information hacked.

These calls have been calling me for the past month. The calls always come in after 11PM and go to 6AM. I called Brighthouse our phone provider and told me there was nothing they could do. I started researching on the internet and found out that I could dial *77 and it would automatically refuse any private caller calls from coming through. Sl far so good.
    Carmen E.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    Not everyone has caller id. I didn't until I switched my provider and it was included. I cannot tell you how much I love, love, LOVE caller id. If I don't recognize the number I don't pick up and sometimes even when I do.
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by noveltyjunkie View Post
    It's difficult to believe that anyone would fall for this. Even if they could detect your problems (how?), why would they be offering to fix them for free? Surely most people understand that the other person has to getting something out of the transaction?
    "how?" via remote access. it's built into your microsoft operating system. i turn it off when i configuring my system when i get new computer or operating system.

there have been recent newspaper & tv news articles reporting this. it is a group of individuals working from India or Pakistan, together or seperately. the worst part is that a few people do actually fall for this so obvious scam. microsoft does not call it's computer software clients. ever.
    the rogue quilter - in from wandering in the sun and snow with camera in hand.

I have caller ID, if I don't recognize the number showing I don't pick up, works great!

Blog Entries
    We had that Scam going around earlier in the Spring. They can be quite convincing. I hung up on them, and then they took a break, and were back.
    We have the Dell Concierges Service to help us with any problem for a yearly service fee. I told them about this call several times. They said ever attempt was being made to stop them, but no luck yet.
    They suggested to call the Fed. Trade Commission. I tried that and it involved another call and paperwork. So, I let that for someone else to. They said just to continue to hang up on them if we didn't want to get involved in he paperwork, ect.
    Mariah
    Mariah
    Have a wonderful Quilting Day, make it your way!
    Marta
    Martha Tompkins

Blog Entries
    Yes, thank goodness for caller id, no matter what it costs. It is worth it. If I am hurrying to answer the phone, I do at least check to see if I know the number or person calling; if I don't the machine picks it up. And if the caller hangs up on my machine, I know they are a scammer.....I am OLD, but not STUPID, yet.
    Make every day count for something!

JoAnn

Blog Entries
    I've had these calls and telling them I do not own a computer did not stop them. I have caller ID and when these strange numbers appear I answer with my best old lady impersonation -I ask them to describe this here com put er thing then ask if it runs on lectric then tell them we ain't got no lectric they hang up and after only a couple more calls they quit calling. This has also worked on those pesky car insurance people. Hey some times you just have to create your own giggle of the day.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    This. It is why answering machines were invented.

I had this call like everyday for a week, finally told the guy to stop calling and bothering me, they would call at 6am on a Saturday after that the calls stopped.
    Have a great day and God bless!

This happened to me over a year ago. I was sick when I answered the phone; and I knew by his insistence that it was a scam of some kind. I told him I was sick and would check it when I was better. He wanted to know when that would be. I realized he could have me put ANYTHING on my computer to track information or God knows what else. I told him that, when I was well enough, I'd call Staples, where I bought my computer. He persisted. I called Staples and they told me it was a scam.

Not everyone has Caller I.D. We don't.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast