Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: cookware what brand and why do you like it?

Blog Entries

cookware what brand and why do you like it?

I want to buy my daughter a new set of cookware, I purchased her first set 4 years ago. It was same brand as mine claimed to be the same ,but it wasn't. Mine is heavy, Hers is light-weight cheap feeling.Everything sticks. She is a wonderful cook and this is something I would like to get for her.I do know good cookware isn't cheap. But there has to be good stuff out there under $400. or $500. dollars. What do you have and why do you like it? Thanks in advance.

Costco has a really nice heavy set of Kirkland pots and pans for about $200. I would love a set if I didn’t already have some. I have Paderno cookware and 3 Le Creuset pots that I love.
    Besides my family, my pets are the most important things to me. I have had birds, a dog or cats since I was about 8 years old. The cruelest thing you can do to me is take my animals away.

Check out All-Clad hard anodized cookware. I have a couple of the skillets that I use daily , and really like them.

I use All Clad for pots. I bought my first one 30 plus years ago and still using it. I saved and bought a new pot every other year. They were very expensive for me then. I'm still using those pots. For any young cook I would say get All Clad and never have to buy again. For skillets I buy Lodge plain and LeCrueset. For non stick I buy ionized non stick. I have to buy new non stick every few years but that's all. I use stainless electric skillet. The trick for no stick stainless is get the pan searing hot then add the oil, bring to temp, then add the food. I use stainless pressure cooker.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I use pots/pans that are called Volrath. I bought them for my "hope" chest in 1973, and started using them in 1975. They are stainless, and have really met the test of time. The other set that I use is a Calaphon set that I received as a prize for winning a national contest, in 1994, that the company I was working for sponsored. Both sets have been work horses. Not much help! Don't know if either is still available.

I use all clad pots. I have a full set of Le Creuset but they are too heavy and they do not have a handle. Two years ago, my arm was immobilized for six weeks. Thank goodness I had the lighter weight All Clad pots to use.

Calaphon, I have a set and a few additional pans I purchased. I love this brand and it's all I use, bottoms are flat, do not warp, the teflon coating has never scratched or worn off. The key is to make the investment, use the proper cooking tools. When I store mine I put pieces of inexpensive craft felt that can be bought by the yard in between the pans to prevent scratching. I've had them for at least 15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Anniedeb View Post
    I use pots/pans that are called Volrath. I bought them for my "hope" chest in 1973, and started using them in 1975. They are stainless, and have really met the test of time. The other set that I use is a Calaphon set that I received as a prize for winning a national contest, in 1994, that the company I was working for sponsored. Both sets have been work horses. Not much help! Don't know if either is still available.
    I have a set of Vollrath stainless as well, from 1967, they will last forever. Wonderful set back then, don't know about now.
    Nancy

Blog Entries
    I have 2 sets of pots and pans that I have used for years. My Paul Revere that I have had 40+ years and serves me very well and still is like new and a set that I received from my mother, Wolfgang Puck. I do a great deal of cooking and wanted something light weight years ago and have not had the heart to give them up for any reason. Now I like the Wolfgang Punk and would replace all my pots and pans with these but they are so costly. The are nicely weighted and heat evenly. Easy to keep clean too.

I have All-Clad which is a stainless steel clad over aluminum. I also have cast iron. The aluminum gives you heat retention and the stainless steel is non-reactive to ingredients. Some brands to consider: All-Clad, Heritage Steel and Vollrath (food service brand and they also have home cookware).

Watch for sales, especially as the holidays start to come up and sign up for coupons at Macy's, Bed Bath and Beyond, etc. Sets of cookware are not always the best deal if you are not going to use everything. This is one of those buying decisions to go for quality, even if it is a piece at a time, as they will stand the test of time. I cook all of the time and the All-Clad I have is well over 15 years old and the cast iron pans are vintage.

One of the most used pans I have is a cassoulet, that I use all of the time for stove-top and oven. https://www.macys.com/shop/product/a...ulet?ID=571000

When I needed to buy a new range, I bought a Induction range and the majority of the cookware I owned was already compatible.

Blog Entries
    My favorite is Staub which is very heavy and pricy. I also have Saladmaster stainless steel and I have loved it for more than 50 years.
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

I bought Calphalon - disappointing so most is gone now. I have a mis-match assortment but I love the piece of Crofton I bought at Aldi. I check every time I’m in there to see if they have more.

When the copper stuff came out I decided to try a small skillet to see if the claims were honest. I loved it. My sister was moving back near me and she cooks alot and needed a new set. During the holidays, one of our local stores were selling a complete set of copper cookware for around $50. My sister decided to try it though she had misgivings about it but for the price she thought she'd try it. Plus it was lightweight too so again she had her misgivings about it. She now wishes she would have bought 2 sets as she loves it. When I moved up here to Iowa I went to Bed, Bath and Beyond and bought myself an expensive set of cookware, heavier too and I still love it but if ever it goes bad on me or I screw it up somehow I'll head for the copper cookware for sure.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

Also, on the copper cookware, I liked it so much I bought their electric skillet as you can use the skillet part on the stove and in the oven too. Bought their cookie sheets, their egg cooker for hard boiled eggs, their pizza pan with rack and their crisper that also comes with a cookie. All are easy to clean but I don't put any of my cookware into my dishwasher though including the copper stuff. As you can see I love this copper stuff and I've picked up a variety of brands so you don't have to buy the most expensive copper pans. I picked all mine up at Walmart, some I had to order online.
    Suz in Iowa

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Snooze2978 View Post
    Also, on the copper cookware, I liked it so much I bought their electric skillet as you can use the skillet part on the stove and in the oven too. Bought their cookie sheets, their egg cooker for hard boiled eggs, their pizza pan with rack and their crisper that also comes with a cookie. All are easy to clean but I don't put any of my cookware into my dishwasher though including the copper stuff. As you can see I love this copper stuff and I've picked up a variety of brands so you don't have to buy the most expensive copper pans. I picked all mine up at Walmart, some I had to order online.
    I bought several of the copper pans and thought at first they were great, I really liked the idea of their square pans but now I realize they are harder to clean because food gets into the corners , also the handles get really hot

We bought the Circulon set from Costco a couple of years ago and replaced most of our pans with it, so it has been in heavy use. Love it!
    https://www.costco.com/Circulon-Prem...100332645.html

I often cook on very high heat and the non-stick surface has not suffered. Seems silly but I love the pour spouts on the pans and the clear lids too.

My other pans are vintage Club Aluminum (best pan to cook rice in!), and I have a few La Creuset. But it is those Circulon in regular use.

I have Revere ware bought in late 1960's -- loved it then, now and still using it. Bought Faberware Classic in mid-1970's for vacation home -- loved it then, now and still using it.

Power Poster
    I am also fond of my Revere Ware cooking pans - especially the ones with the heavy aluminum bottoms.

I think one has to go to flea markets to get it now.

Blog Entries
    Juliasb, this is what I have and love them, I bought my daughter a set when she married, totally different.Shes seem to be a lesser quality.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nightquilter View Post
    I want to buy my daughter a new set of cookware, I purchased her first set 4 years ago. It was same brand as mine claimed to be the same ,but it wasn't. Mine is heavy, Hers is light-weight cheap feeling.Everything sticks. She is a wonderful cook and this is something I would like to get for her.I do know good cookware isn't cheap. But there has to be good stuff out there under $400. or $500. dollars. What do you have and why do you like it? Thanks in advance.
    I bought a sew of Saladmaster in 1967 for around $450.00, it's heavy and they still send me free handles etc as it's got a lifetime guarantee. People thought I was nuts. I Still cook with it today and it looks pretty good too. I also have 7 various pieces of cast iron, 1 Le Creuset. Plus some specialty stuff (woks etc) I can never decide which I like best my Saladmaster or my Cast Iron. BUT I haven't bought anything in literally years and years.
    Buy the girl the best you can afford.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-13-2019 at 02:26 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
    Jackie
    Lover of Scrappy, Chocolate and Wine

Blog Entries
    Just before we sold our kitchen retail store last year, I ordered a set of stainless steel Cuisinart but it was made in France, induction ready and less expensive than All-Clad which we also sold. Either brand would last you decades.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

I have a set of Lifetime that was quite expensive at the time. It is waterless stainless steel and has held up well with about 50 years of service, which includes putting it into the dishwasher. I've loved those pans until I bought a glass-top stove. They don't make the same contact with the surface as with an electric stove with the traditional circular elements. Too, if pans tend to curve with use, they don't make contact with the glass tops. So back to the Revere Ware pans but have to watch carefully that they don't stick. I don't care for pans with any kind of added surface as it can become scratched or may "cook off" with use.

My husband does all the cooking . I do the dishes :-). He uses cast iron. I know this is a bit old fashioned, but when it has been “treated” properly, nothing sticks to it. You get great flavor difficult to burn food, etc. etc. And the 2nd best part....(after he does all the cooking).....he washes up the cast iron. Says I do not do it right!!! Love that. :-). :-)
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-13-2019 at 11:32 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps

feffertim, I don't have issues with the handles getting hot as you described. I use my 1 small skillet all the time and its square and so easy to clean, almost cleans itself. Used it just last night sauting mushrooms.
    Suz in Iowa

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tranum View Post
    I bought Calphalon - disappointing so most is gone now. I have a mis-match assortment but I love the piece of Crofton I bought at Aldi. I check every time I’m in there to see if they have more.
    May I ask why the disappointment? Did they stick,turn black inside this kind of thing?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast