cost of school supplies

Old 08-09-2016, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by coopah View Post
I don't know about WalMart, but the office supply and big box stores (Target, KMart) carried the lists from each school and each grade level and had them available near the door. As teachers, we sat down before school was out and decided what was absolutely needed. We finally added one ream of copy paper, wet wipes to clean desks, and tissues so we could tell a nose-picker to 'please go get a tissue". Families would buy what they could and some families who were blessed would step up and buy more. We never required anyone to come with extras and I personally always bought the things needed for those who couldn't afford them out of my own pocket. Nothing was said, no one was embarrassed...but it helps the classroom to have these things. And 24 pencils? That's nothing! Some kids chew on them, break off the eraser...you can't imagine what a pencil in a 2nd grade goes through in one day! That's about one new pencil a week.

Jane Quilter :Schools are required to teach 180 days in most states. With more vacations, it stretches the year out. Pluses and minuses to that one.

Purple Passion: At the end of the year we would send home extras if there were enough for each student to get a fair share. Otherwise, we would adjust the list for the next year and/or store them for kids who would start in the middle of the year. (Some of these are homeless or escaping an abusive situation and are protected under the McKinney Act.)

Our PTA always had backpacks for new students who couldn't afford the list items so that when they came into the classroom, they would not be embarrassed or feel 'different' in any way.

Sorry this is so long. The teachers are not profiting by asking for these things. Most of them. And I never got $800 to spend on anything, unless it was a grant for a specific purpose, which had to be documented.

Go volunteer if you want to know what happens to the items you buy.

Edited to add and refine comments.
After 40years as educator at middle and high school level I have to say a total "amen" to this post. When school ended we would dig through the trash left for any salvageable items to put into the "closet" the counseling office kept for the following year. Plus in every school I've worked in, teachers would pull together and purchase Christmas for several families--not just presents but also food, one family we bought mattresses because the kids were sleeping on the floor, and we've bought so many clothes--especially shoes and coats, that I could have opened a clothing store. I had one principal that bought lunch for all the kids that just didn't eat although they could have qualified for free &/or reduced lunches but were too embarrassed (these kids are limited to the "type A"lunch w/o "frills" and most kids would add too their lunch so it was obvious)--which is a chronic problem with teens. This is not unique to the schools I worked in--it happens in ALL public schools.
Someone mentioned about poorer students and at least they have food--not all do!Because my DIL is not well, and my son is "working poor", with 3 young children,we supplement their food resources pretty routinely. Unfortunately, I know so many people my age that are doing the same thing for their children and grandchildren.
Old 08-09-2016, 06:56 PM

I would add that as a parent I always appreciated my children's elementary for waiting until after the kids showed up and then assigning half the class to bring in tissues, half to bring in hand sanitizers, and then dividing up those items that would only be used in class not on a daily basis--like play money when they were learning about it, special art supplies, etc. That did help cut the cost of the list and also meant that no one went without.
Old 08-09-2016, 07:35 PM

My daughter in law is a teacher in a small town in western Wyoming. Each year she has to spend hundreds to have special books she wants to use in class, any special art projects (holiday stuff), as well as buying reams of paper to copy off her lessons. Worse yet, sometimes there isn't even toner for the copier so that becomes a problem. Schools have the same problems we do... everything costs more for them too, rising health costs, liability insurances, property insurances, repairs, maintenance, equipment, food costs, cleaning items, etc etc etc. Yes, taxes go to pay for all of this, but to cover the rising costs, taxes have to go up also. Teachers pay isn't all that great either. They are entrusted with the care of 20 to 30 children roughly 8 hours a day, 9 months of the year. That doesn't include all of the time at home doing lesson plans, taking the required education credits to stay certified and volunteering to be coaches/leaders for school activities.

She has also been known to send peanut butter and jelly home with crackers because the children will not have food for the weekend in some cases. It is a real problem, not just some made up boo hoo sob story.

Please consider giving them supplies for gifts instead of another mug or plaque or ornament. They can use supplies for a real purpose and let's be real, no one needs/wants another "greatest teacher" mug or wooden apple for their desk.

If you can't afford to buy all of the items, talk with your school counselor or church and they can help point you in a direction for some aide.
Old 08-10-2016, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by moonwork42029 View Post
My daughter in law is a teacher in a small town in western Wyoming. Each year she has to spend hundreds to have special books she wants to use in class, any special art projects (holiday stuff), as well as buying reams of paper to copy off her lessons. Worse yet, sometimes there isn't even toner for the copier so that becomes a problem. Schools have the same problems we do... everything costs more for them too, rising health costs, liability insurances, property insurances, repairs, maintenance, equipment, food costs, cleaning items, etc etc etc. Yes, taxes go to pay for all of this, but to cover the rising costs, taxes have to go up also. Teachers pay isn't all that great either. They are entrusted with the care of 20 to 30 children roughly 8 hours a day, 9 months of the year. That doesn't include all of the time at home doing lesson plans, taking the required education credits to stay certified and volunteering to be coaches/leaders for school activities.

She has also been known to send peanut butter and jelly home with crackers because the children will not have food for the weekend in some cases. It is a real problem, not just some made up boo hoo sob story.

Please consider giving them supplies for gifts instead of another mug or plaque or ornament. They can use supplies for a real purpose and let's be real, no one needs/wants another "greatest teacher" mug or wooden apple for their desk.

If you can't afford to buy all of the items, talk with your school counselor or church and they can help point you in a direction for some aide.
Great idea on teacher gifts--I always let my own kids pick out some puzzles and "educational" games and books to give for elementary classes for Christmas and teacher appreciation--know that when they have "indoor" recess during bad weather, that they must use their own resources. I always asked teachers what was needed. MS & HS teachers can really use resource books (ask for a list from them) and thumb drives--and many are very limited in amount of copy paper available. And what I REALLY liked? When a group of parents pooled together to give me a house cleaning gift card for a time after my knee replacement!
Old 08-11-2016, 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
Thats ridiculous! What happened to books, notebooks? If the kids are glued to computers they may as well stay home and take classes like some adults take college courses.
a lo-o-ong time ago when my youngest was in elem. school and calculators were popular.....the teacher was asking that the kids bring a certain type to class. I marched over and told the teacher, not my kid....you will teach her how to use her gray matter first, then we will discuss calculators...ended that request!- til the last quarter of that year...entitled intro to calculators......
Our Grandaughter was the last of her age group (28 now) to learn math etc the old fashioned way by rote.The schools then went to calculators....among other changes. Grdaughter was reading,printing,knew her colors,addy & ph number,& could use the phone to call either parent or Grparent. She had a base for learning. Her bro & cuzs,all boys were 7-8 yrs younger & the difference in learning was profound.They could also read etc,but math was all done by calculators,( now tablets)"writing" was non existant,sass was common & reading done by underlining with a finger,word by sloow word.Now we have young adults who need special classes before they can add,read etc at college level. Not sure how that works,as most clerks can't read or do math using their own brain. Generations at a loss.....due to all the changes to "make it better" & fixing what wasn't broken. Who mentioned their soap box? Will take mine & slink off.

Our DD works in grade school & some of the parent stories would curl your hair.Teachers are there because they love to teach.It's a hard job today with hungry kids,many who learn nothing in their homes. Just a mixed up ball of wax.DD's answer to what kids should know when they start school ? No means No.

Last edited by plainpat; 08-11-2016 at 02:34 AM.
Old 08-11-2016, 04:57 AM
Power Poster

I was helping fill backpacks with school supplies from school lists to give to kids that needed them. One mom was calling everyone she knew to come to the center and get the free supplies. She was saying why buy them, they are giving them for free, come and get some. Many can buy but won't when they can get them free from donation groups. The kids that really are in need, the parent can't get to the center in the first place.
Old 08-12-2016, 03:27 PM

Just today had a conversation with gd, my ggd is entering 1sr grade...how time does fly--a whole different topic-- but anyway, she told me her friend is a janitor(politically incorrect?) at a local school and he knows from experience that at end of school year all those left over supplies that parents are required to purchase at the onset are thrown out.....why, I want to know! Should be a more positive solution to that...like a school store managed/operated by parent organization might be useful. Or just carry over for next year and cut list of what parents must contribute, or some other creative way of using not just tossing!

and she did say her list was asking for 30 sharpened pencils among other ridiculous things. My question why not just have a pencil sharpener. Oh, I am so happy I'm pasted that time...I would have been a troublemaker!

Last edited by Geri B; 08-12-2016 at 03:31 PM.
Old 08-12-2016, 06:01 PM

I am glad for once that kids have cell phones. They have a calculator that eliminates the expensive one the teachers want you to buying
Old 08-14-2016, 07:12 AM

this is how i remember my grade school years, also. love to smell that purple ink
Old 08-14-2016, 07:19 AM

I know when my kids went to school, i bought supplies all year long and stored in plastic containers, you can always get pencils, crayons, glue, notebooks on sale through out the year.