Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
DEAD MOUSE SMELL - in sewing room!!!! >

DEAD MOUSE SMELL - in sewing room!!!!

DEAD MOUSE SMELL - in sewing room!!!!

Old 12-26-2009, 06:44 PM
Power Poster

Ok, I do have just one question?
If this 'invader' is dead...how does he smell? :mrgreen:
Old 12-26-2009, 06:59 PM
Power Poster

Mr. Mousie, the FlARP-meister. I love it. Told Pat about your machine but he said he didn't need one. All I have to do is cook sauerkraut. lol

BTW, never heard of the odor remover. We usually need skunk-be-gone to drench the dogs.

I would suggest that you take each box out of the immediate area and check it for damage. Your nose adapts to smells after a while, so make sure you use a neutral area to do so or you may put affected stuff back in. When you moved all the boxes, and didn't find the offender, it may be easier to detect the source. What a hassle. I'm sorry you have to go thru that.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:11 PM
Power Poster

OTOH...leaving it, might deter the relatives from moving in...or not.
They just might want to come to the funeral, and hope to go through the deceased's treasures...'stolen' treasures, in this case.
I do hope, that he didn't ruin any of your fabrics.
We have had one in our duct work, and got a blast of 'bad heater breath', every time it clicked on...whew...where was the poo-pourri then?
DH had to take out the vent cover, use a flashlight and a mirror on a stick to find it. Fortunately, it wasn't far...so glad at times like these...that I'm just a 'girl'! :wink:
Old 12-26-2009, 07:17 PM

You wanna come help? I could use another good nose. I've got so many different smells going on down there now - its camouflaged - we have went through the stuff - will do it again after our Christmas here tmr..... thanks so much for all the wonderful info - I've had such a good laugh - thanks for turning a stinky situation into a funny one - well sort of
Old 12-26-2009, 07:23 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quilter girl
You wanna come help? I could use another good nose. I've got so many different smells going on down there now - its camouflaged - we have went through the stuff - will do it again after our Christmas here tmr..... thanks so much for all the wonderful info - I've had such a good laugh - thanks for turning a stinky situation into a funny one - well sort of
no thank you...i have a thing about 'dead mice':shock:
Old 12-26-2009, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Chele
LOL swimmom! That mouse isn't stirring! Seriously, I sure hope you find the little bugger. Well, I hope your husband finds it! Maybe you could turn it into a scavenger-type game tomorrow when you have lots of people over! Prizes and everything! I bet everyone would remember that Christmas. Good luck!
Oh my Lord, but yours is the best idea yet! I'm still laughing, even though I am sorry about the mouse thing.
Old 12-26-2009, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by quilter girl
My sewing room is in our unfinished basement with boxes and stuff everyone. Somewhere a mouse has met his maker and has left me with a raunchy odor - can't find his remains. How can I get rid of that smell? It's everywhere - Christmas here tomorrow :!:
You may want to check the stuff in your totes/boxes... I found a dead snake in one of my totes...it reeked!!! Also, mold and mildew will smell dead also
Old 12-26-2009, 10:11 PM

My first thought was, "oh, no....hope it's not one of Mousie's family!". Then I thought of the poo-pourri product - just saw it at my local drugstore right before Christmas. So glad to hear someone had experience with it and that it actually works ... after the Christmas Eve experience we had with my DD's finacee (and his terrible gas problem), I may want to buy stock in the company too!

So, update us, please ... have you found the scent culprit?
Old 12-26-2009, 11:47 PM
Power Poster

When I go to check out new scents of perfume at the mall, they generally give me a small vial of coffee beans to clean my scent glands between sniffings. You might try that. Apparently coffee has a nose neutralizer capacity.

Slightly off topic: Do you realize why we react so emotionally to certain smells (usually the good ones)? Because the smell receptors in the upper part of your nose are very close in proximity to the memory parts of your brain. So the smell of baked apple pie triggers wonderful memories of holidays with the family.

But the smell of dead meeces - well, that's another memory in the making.
Old 12-27-2009, 04:50 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
When I go to check out new scents of perfume at the mall, they generally give me a small vial of coffee beans to clean my scent glands between sniffings. You might try that. Apparently coffee has a nose neutralizer capacity.

Slightly off topic: Do you realize why we react so emotionally to certain smells (usually the good ones)? Because the smell receptors in the upper part of your nose are very close in proximity to the memory parts of your brain. So the smell of baked apple pie triggers wonderful memories of holidays with the family.

But the smell of dead meeces - well, that's another memory in the making.
your so right Mad!:cry:
He may have lived a good life and just wanted to be where the 'good' stuff is, when the end came...poor uncle harry...