Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • DEAD MOUSE SMELL - in sewing room!!!! >
  • DEAD MOUSE SMELL - in sewing room!!!!

• DEAD MOUSE SMELL - in sewing room!!!!

Old 12-29-2009, 08:17 AM
    Power Poster

In the office where I worked before, a mouse died in the walls. my area was reception and huge but the smell almost did me in anyway. no one wanted to relieve me either.
    later on (more than a month!!), it was better. and a company who came to kill ants for us happened to tell me they had something for that odor that smelled like bubble gum.
    so check with rodent companies for something to help. the fumes from decaying is not good for you!! (not that i could get my ex-boss to admit that).
    good luck
    Attached Images  
    Old 12-29-2009, 08:37 AM

i always have good luck with stinkies by lighting some candles around the room. it seems that as they burn they burn the fumes. it may take a while, but i swear it always works for me. in the bathroom too. i keep a candle there with a book of matches and everyone, including guests, knows what it's for. it also gets rid of fishy smells in the kitchen.

make sure the candles are sitting in a large bowl to catch the drippings, if any, and keep them out of drafts. i use the short fat ones that have a pine odor, because i like those.
    Old 12-29-2009, 07:04 PM

Quick update: we got our mouse! I hopped into the bed last night, waking hubby and told him "we have a mouse. he must go". He opened one eye and told me to set a trap. I couldn't find any in the utility drawer. This a.m. he comes out with 2 of the glue traps, so we sat one in the hallway and one next to the piano, pretty much near where I had seen him last night.

DD calls me at work mid-morning and tells me we got him! "He's little and cute and his fur is really pretty" she tells me. I told her to scoop him up in the dustpan and take him right out to the dumpster. She did it. And no other relatives have come for the funeral, so I think he was trying to make my house into his bachelor pad!

Nope. Not having any of that this time around!
    Old 12-29-2009, 07:48 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by OdessaQuilts
    Oh, God! Not to get too far "off-topic" here, but I just saw one of mousie's relatives trot across the carpet on the far side of my living room! EEEEEEEKKKKKKK! He was a dark, dark brown color. Oh, Mousie, forgive me, but he needs to go somewhere else to live! I am not having this in my house! It's been almost 2 years since we've seen one here, and I was soooooo happy! I can't stand having them in my house, and especially anywhere NEAR my stash! I'd never chase YOU out, Mousie, but I think this was a rogue relative! He's GOT TO GO !!!!!!!!!
    different set of dogs...um, mice, LOL!
    me and my close relatives are civilized. But there is the occasional case of dememtia, etc. where they wander off...:roll:
    I'm a pretty humane sort, but when it comes to my stash?
    :evil: Do what you have to do!!! :evil:
    Old 12-29-2009, 07:51 PM
    Power Poster

well, I just saw where you did, Odessa.
    Tsk! tsk! tsk! when will those gypsy mice learn? :roll:
    Old 12-30-2009, 11:06 AM

Mousie, they'll learn now! Don't mess with Mama's stash! Actually, there have been no further sightings, nor any other captures at my house. I think this little guy just tried to come in out of the cold -- it's only around 25 degrees here during the day right now, so it's understandable, I guess. But Mama doesn't share her stash with rogue meeces!
    Old 12-30-2009, 06:17 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by OdessaQuilts
    Mousie, they'll learn now! Don't mess with Mama's stash! Actually, there have been no further sightings, nor any other captures at my house. I think this little guy just tried to come in out of the cold -- it's only around 25 degrees here during the day right now, so it's understandable, I guess. But Mama doesn't share her stash with rogue meeces!
    and, since he was so small, I'm guessing you didn't get close enough to decide for sure that it wasn't a 'she-mouse', with relatives in the trunk:shock::!:
    Old 12-30-2009, 11:44 PM
    Power Poster

We have a mouse or two. Not sure where the wee one keeps seei g one. Maybe it is just here. I saw signs downstairs in the cold storage. The next night she went down to look for something and you hear her give a little scream. I said "she saw a mouse" she comes up and says just that. A little mouse is in the house.
    Old 01-01-2010, 04:53 AM

Get a cat to find it.
    Old 01-01-2010, 06:29 AM

When I worked in the in a nursing faciltiy and we had someone with really strong odor (some cancers, infections, etc) we used charcoal for absorbing the odor. We tried vinegar, the cans that are supposed to absorb, febreeze, and baking soda and charcoal was the only thing that seemed to help. Also special charcoal forms can be used in colostomy bags to decrease the feces odor.
    Our fridge was unplugged and not used for a few months when we renovated our house and it smelled of rotting fish when we opened it, I put pans of grilling charcoal in each area and in a day or two the smell was gone.
    Febreeze and products similar sometimes mask the odor rather than eliminating through absorption.
    We use charcoal now wherever we have odors.