Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Deliberate mistakes by the Amish - - - -

Hi everyone,

i find this very interesting. As a child in primary school I was told that those who weave Persian rugs will purposely make a mistake as only God can create perfection. Whether that is true or not, I still look for this on purpose error if I see a Persian rug, and it's been about 38 yrs and I've not see a mistake yet! X
    Mags
    x
    So much fabric, so little time

Quote Originally Posted by Tippytoes View Post
    Hi everyone,

i find this very interesting. As a child in primary school I was told that those who weave Persian rugs will purposely make a mistake as only God can create perfection. Whether that is true or not, I still look for this on purpose error if I see a Persian rug, and it's been about 38 yrs and I've not see a mistake yet! X Mags x
    I suppose they are not mistakes, but it is true that makers of these rugs change the pattern in a few places, making it look like a mistake. We have a Turkish rug on our living room floor, and the changes in the pattern are not noticeable until you get right down on the floor and look for them; but they are there. All the chevrons go one way, except for that one right there. It is turned the other way. The patterns are so small, it is hard to see if you aren't looking for it.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ View Post
    it is a myth that the amish purposely include a mistake.
    I was told the same that it is a myth- a deliberate mistake is not humility at work anyway
    Sondra

My mother was Amish when she was a child and had lots of Amish relatives. She said she never heard anything about purposely making a mistake to keep you humble. It is a myth as far as we know.
    Thimble and Thread

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    What she said!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    They accept the fact nothing is perfect and tend to leave a mistake when it happens. They make from scratch, everything, so, there are always ( flaws) some you may not notice or perceive as a mistake- just like when you show a non quilter your quilt they have no idea it is not exactly the way you intended it to be, only you know your errors. Each time they cook doing all from scratch and memory the same dish can be different each time- use one seasoning once, something different the next.... What ever the case, they don't stress over not having/using exactly the same. And woodworking is the same. Maybe this piece of wood has a knot in it the next one does not, its used anyway, the carpenter may be unhappy with it, but we see it & think its beautiful. Or that fence may have 2 or 3 slightly warped posts-- a perfectionist with plenty of $ may toss those posted, the Amish are going to use them. Its not so much they go out of their way to create imperfections, they accept imperfections and acknowledge only God is perfect.

Blog Entries
    My understanding as well

Maviskw you have made my day! All this time I wanted to know!
    BrilliantMags
    X
    So much fabric, so little time

When I'm dealing with customers who are overly stressed about working on a project or a new quilter worrying about making mistakes, I always refer to this 'old-ism', (for lack of a better word). It's amazing how the stress immediatley disappears from both their bodies and faces. As they leave, I tell them to have fun, and usually get a releaved smile.

Power Poster
    I would question if they make mistakes. I have seen a lot of their work and it is pretty darn near perfect...

Blog Entries
    I have read that exact thing, Jan. It said, more or less, that they would never intentionally have an error in a quilt because that would indicate that they thought they were so perfect they just HAD to make an error on purpose since only God is perfect. I believe this is fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    Isn't it an oxymoron if one is humble deliberately on purpose? Like, because if you didn't deliberately make a mistake (because you're really too good to make one by mistake, you see) then people would think you're really trying to be like God.

i never did get this.

Jan in VA
    Kerry
    ~ American by birth, Southern by the grace of God ~

I am not trying to be humble....I just make mistakes. I have joked about leaving them on purpose because nobody is perfect.
    I quilt, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by mike'sgirl View Post
    Why is it perceived that the Amish are perfect (by some)? Of course they do beautiful work, they are human. Just sayin'... 😊
    Yes..it is a myth...I know many Amish women and they are amused by that theory! The Amish that I know work very hard on their quilts, and I have seen them reworking patterns or stitches that aren't right. Just like us..they want to do their best, but sometimes they make mistakes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2