Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Desperate to find a quilter that lives near me. >

Desperate to find a quilter that lives near me.

Desperate to find a quilter that lives near me.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:30 PM

Get to a quilt guild and you will find some friends. I took a ride on a bus to a quilt show and met some amazing ladies on the bus. We now started our own group because we have so much in common. We try to meet once a week but just knowing someone else is in your corner is a great boost.

I moved to this area a few years ago when I met my hubby online. The location is a lot different than what I was used, and I also had a hard time meeting friends here. When it started to cause problems for me and my hubby I knew I had to do something.

So I took the advice of my friends on line and with in a few short weeks I was hooked up with some really terrific friends and have been a lot happier!... ps so is my hubby!

And age doesn't matter we are all ages in our new group, we just have a lot of fun. Good luck to you.

ps. but don't forget there are a lot of cool people right here too, for that quick fix in the middle of the night when I just want to talk quilt!
Old 08-26-2011, 10:03 PM

Brandy, I know what you mean, I wish I had a quilter that lived near me too. I didn't even have a family or neighbor quilter to teach me.

You do good work on your quilts though and you look real good for 32 yrs and 4 kids. You do look younger. But you know what, I love being around older women, especially listening to their old days stories. I just love it and especially when they are sweet little ladies. They are so special to me.

So if your young neighbors aren't interested in quilting, maybe there are some older ladies near that you can relate to. :)
Old 08-27-2011, 07:08 PM

Brandy, I'm in Troy, MI. I'm in a different age bracket, but can relate. I was always the stay-at-home mom side of the fence in this area. Grew my own vegetables, sewed my own clothes. I started the quilting at a class at the local LQS when I needed a night away from kids. This summer I have a couple grown children at home, but do get some charity quilting done with the group from our church once a month.

There was a time with kids that I didn't have time for quilting. I was PTO treasurer, PTO president, treasurer of a Parenting group, Sunday School teacher, helped in two school clinics and in the classrooms. That's where I met some of the moms who were on the same wave length as me. We also met on the soccer field benches and continued our friendships on the football bleachers. Now that kids have gone to college, the quilting is back. Yes, my church quilting friends are all older than me (some not more than 6 years,some 20 years older). But we still have the same fun with fabric, sewing mistakes, and food. You could come visit us once.

Enjoy your mom. I just found out tonight that my mother and dad are moving further away from us. It will take 30 more miles to visit them now. They are in Indiana - 200 miles away.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:32 PM

Hey Mary, Mary, I'm doing the happy dance, becuz I know I'm one of those 4 peeps.
Originally Posted by marymay
I agree with you Sarah Conner . Before I meant any one I stayed to myself for 5 1/2 years. Been quilting for 30 plus years. Then I found a QG. Meant 4 wonderful friends that I hope I have for the rest of my life.We now have lunch 1 day a week (yea for Thursday's) My DH is in AF. he is gone a lot.
:lol:
Old 08-27-2011, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by BrandyMcCoy
I live in NewBaltimore Mi. I am 32 years old and do not have a single person besides my sisters and my mom, that I could consider a great friend. I do not have anything in common with the woman around here at all....NOTHING....I'm a stay at home mom with four kids...my idea of fun is sitting at home and quilting of corse...or going to the fabric store.lol. the other women around here like to go bar hopping and I do not. They have invited me and insist I must go, and that I'm crazy to be the age I am and not want to go out to the bar. These are the woman my age around here. So as for the older women who I might have something in common with, they take one look at me and I look alot younger than I am, and think I'm a teen mom or something, and don't wish to talk to me. I've been dealing with this for as long as I can without getting depressed,but now it's really getting to me.
Wow, I can completely relate to you! I don't have many friends here in my town because a) I don't drink alcohol, and b) I quilt, which is something other women my age consider a grandma-ish activity. I wish I could find more women my age that I could share my quilting (and conservative values) with.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:22 PM

Check into a quilt guild in your area, maybe one of it's members lives near you.