Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Desperate to find a quilter that lives near me. >

Desperate to find a quilter that lives near me.

Desperate to find a quilter that lives near me.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:34 AM

Well, unfortunately I live in Texas, but you have a new long distance friend! I am in my 40s, but even when I was your age I wasn't in to all that bar hopping and crap either. Nice to "meet" you! Virg
Old 08-25-2011, 08:47 AM

So sorry...wish I lived close. I don't have any quilting friends, either, but love this Quilting Board.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:04 AM

I think that some of the problems with friends is the new technology. My kids tell me that I am not "with it"---my kids do not own cell phones--"only ones in the school," I am told. I have seen some of my children's friends sit in a room and text the kids on the other side of the room 6 feet away---not look up and talk to them. I am afraid that there are some younger people who do not actually know how to make friends or actually TALK to them---not text.
I am more mature with kids still at home....most my age are retired or empty nesters...Younger gals look at me as their grandma..
Also we rarely drink....that has put a damper on many a friendship.. Since we stay sober and clear-headed...and others??? Well....
Keep your interests and there will be others that you will find something in common with at some time. Be true to yourself and family. REAL friends are hard to find.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:14 AM

Same here. I have tried classes and groups at the LQS but it seems they are all much older than I am and have known each other forever and are a tight knit little group. I know there are people on this board that live in this area and get together but they all live on the other side of town and San antonio covers quite a large area and I am not a great driver so traveling 45 minutes on highways here scares me to death. So I quilt alone and just spend time with my family.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:26 AM

My dearest female friend is in the area but actually too far away to visit often. She is also my quilting friend and we decided to form our own guild--a 2 person long distance guild which we call "Quilting Until 100" because we think it will take us at least that long to make all the quilts we love so much. But we e-mail everyday and that is what keeps me up and going and quilting. We share our love of quilting and patterns and whatever else one or the other happens to come across that we want the other one to see. Of course we send pictures the very minute we get something new started or finished or just want to share.

My best friend who lives close is my hubby and you cannot beat that at all. I have decided that if I were running around to meetings and guilds there would not be enough time to do my quilting because there is a house to keep up, we have a huge garden which keeps us both busy in the summer and we visit with our girls and grandchildren often.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:57 AM

so sad..i am in taylor ,mi..exit 36 off I-75. i hope you all find a quilt buddy!
Old 08-25-2011, 12:44 PM

Brandy, don't get discouraged. I suspect that some of the older women just assume you don't have any interest in hanging out with them. Do you have a quilt shop anywhere nearby? Or somewhere you could take a class? That's a great place to meet people who share your interest. There are probably young women at your kids' school who share your tastes as well. Good luck with finding someone though. The friendships you make now may last a very long time.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:12 PM

i didn't read all of this thread, so sorry if a repeat..

but check the library and senior or community center in your area. in our senior center..they have all sorts of gatherings every week..including a bunch of us quilters! the fee,when you show up is nominal, $2/3 bucks.
you don't need to be a senior to come and enjoy the friendship..they let me,and i am a young 54! i am the "baby" of the group...lol!

i meet at a local library to knit and crochet every other thursday.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:16 PM

Brandy,

I can relate to you about looking much younger and folks not taking you seriously or chatting with you because they think you can't relate since you look younger.

I too look years younger than my age. In my 30s, I looked about 15 years younger. So, I do know your frustration from dealing with people that assume that you are in your late teens or early 20s. Those folks just don't take you seriously or try even to befriend you, and this can be extremely frustrating… been there many times. :)

Now at age 53, I'm mistaken for early 40s, which sometimes frustrates me and other times I find it amusing. Well, my best friends are my husband, my children, and my sister (who also looks years younger for her age). I like it this way, less drama.

I agree with others that have responded here to find a quilting group close to home.
When you introduce yourself to the group, mention that you get mistaken for being younger which can cause some problems for you, and that you are looking for a group for support and sharing quilting info.

I noticed your post on your vintage machines, White Rotary and Singers. Please chat with us in the Vintage Machines Shop! We love to chat! We even have a thread showing off our projects made using vintage machines.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:56 PM
Power Poster

I wish I lived close by you. I would love to find someone close by to quilt with also. I don't want to join a guild; I find large groups of strangers intimidating and end up very stressed and uncomfortable. Good luck on your search!