Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Desperate to find a quilter that lives near me. >

Desperate to find a quilter that lives near me.

Desperate to find a quilter that lives near me.

Old 08-25-2011, 05:15 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

We are your friends.. Call on us anytime... :thumbup:
Old 08-25-2011, 05:23 AM

Brandy - I have friends who like to go to the bars, but that is one thing I don't do with them. Maybe invite them over for dessert and coffee and get to know the "other side" of them. They must also shop, etc. Have you found other mom's thru your children's school? Lovely family you have!
Old 08-25-2011, 05:24 AM

I agree with what others are saying, especially if you want to meet people with quilting in common. I'm lucky that I enjoy sewing by myself in my sewing room; I have a TV with Dish and am perfectly happy. But I'm retired, as is my DH. He watches TV in the den around the corner, so we can still talk, lol.
However, I love all the internet groups I'm in; always someone to "chat" with......
Old 08-25-2011, 05:26 AM

I am new to quilting and I joined a "Sit and Sew" at a local quilt shop. Wow! The reception was great. Quilters are a great bunch of people. I am new to this board and have been welcomed by so many people.

Try going to a quilt shop in the area and asking about their get-togethers. It's wonderful. Also, for ladies with other interests (if there are any) try your local church or just take you children to the park and introduce yourself to other mothers.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:28 AM

you are just more mature and grounded-not living to party.I was the same way-only had 1 friend-old enough to be my mom,lol that quilted.my daughter quilts now,and grand kids a bit.we live in the boonies and do not know other quilters either.by the way my daughter is 32 has 3 kids and would rather craft than party also.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:51 AM

Thanks for all the support ladies. I'm not too sad about it. It's just my kids have been asking me lately why I don't have any friends. They know that they're friends moms have been hanging out at each others houses and going out shopping and things, and I had no idea...they don't invite me. I talk to my best friend (my mom) every day on the phone. I'm exactly like her so I have everything in common with her and she's my mom, she is always there for me. My husband is my other best friend and then there are my great kiddos. They keep me extra happy when I'm sad.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:53 AM

Ladies here I sit in East Central Alabama and I am in the same boat. Of course i am older but no friends here especially when I mention quilting.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:58 AM

When I first moved here I was looking around my LQS and came upon a business card for a local longarm quilter. I called her to ask about doing a quilt for me and also asked her about any quilting groups nearby. She introduced me to a small group of some of the nicest ladies I've ever met who meet once a week and sew quilts (but you can also bring whatever thread or yarnwork project you're working on...it's very informal). If you don't have anything to work on you can just chat or help someone who needs a hand, and sometimes we all work on the group project which is a raffle quilt we try to do every year to raise funds for the little community center where we meet. I've been going there for almost 9 years now. Maybe you can do something similar?
Old 08-25-2011, 06:11 AM

Geeze Ladies,

Don't feel bad. I've lived in Baltimore, Maryland allll my life and I can't find anyone who quilts or sews that I would have a common interest with. I tried putting a post on Craigslist and nothing. It's a cruel world out there, lol.......until I joined the QB.... I love it here.

I sure wish I lived near all of you.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:13 AM

I feel your pain. I went through the same thing when my boys were young. Try this: Go to the QB User List and search on MI. You may find some QB members in your area.

Consider taking classes or going to events in areas of your interest. Some groups have stinkers who ruin the event, but don't give up. Try different groups and locations.

It took me a while, but I finally found some really nice people who inspired me.

Originally Posted by BrandyMcCoy
I live in NewBaltimore Mi. I am 32 years old and do not have a single person besides my sisters and my mom, that I could consider a great friend. I do not have anything in common with the woman around here at all....NOTHING....I'm a stay at home mom with four kids...my idea of fun is sitting at home and quilting of corse...or going to the fabric store.lol. the other women around here like to go bar hopping and I do not. They have invited me and insist I must go, and that I'm crazy to be the age I am and not want to go out to the bar. These are the woman my age around here. So as for the older women who I might have something in common with, they take one look at me and I look alot younger than I am, and think I'm a teen mom or something, and don't wish to talk to me. I've been dealing with this for as long as I can without getting depressed,but now it's really getting to me.