Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Desperate to find a quilter that lives near me. >

Desperate to find a quilter that lives near me.

Desperate to find a quilter that lives near me.

Old 08-24-2011, 06:46 PM

Check to see if there is a Project Linus group in your area, great minds all think alike. I love my group of ladies, they are diverse in every way imaginable but we have a great time sharing and talking.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:51 PM

If you go to the top of the page to "User List" you can search for people in your area that are on this board. Then PM some! I wish you well.

Church is a good idea...too
Old 08-24-2011, 06:55 PM

Visit your local church. Often they have some form of women's group that does something or they certainly know someone who quilts.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:42 PM

kareil3 lives in New Baltimore MI, you might try PM'g her. I would repost this message and entitle it "I live in New Baltimore MI, looking to meet some fellow board members", or something like that.

You can go to the User List and type in cities/state that are close to you and see if anyone comes up in those areas, that's how I found kareil3.

I live in CA but I spend time in Austin TX and Yakima WA and that's how I've found board members to meet and plan get togethers with in those areas.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:28 PM

I can relate and all I can say is spend your energies on your family, your hobbies, and finding peace with this. I am years older than you and have dealt with this all my life too. I lost many friends because I chose a life with no bar hopping or weekends with partying at each others' houses. I like a good Golden Margarita or glass of wine maybe 2-3 times ayear, but I chose to make sure I am alert when my family may need me. And that can be 24/7. Nothing wrong with you or I, we just chose a different lifestyle and refuse to sway. I personally am not friends with anyone near me that quilts or sews. My friends are my husband, grown children, daughters in law, and their parents, plus very close friends with a couple in another state. No one I worked with sewed or had any interest in what I did. (you know those people, they pretend to be your friend, but once you leave they never talk to you again.) No one I grew up with did. None of the neighbors find time. Join a quilting group at church if you can. What a great way to find younger women and/or men who quilt, as perhaps they have family or younger friends you could meet up with. And the older ladies and gents are wonderful to be around, you learn so much from them. I found out there are more people that quilt in my area just by going to LQS-they have classes whereby you can meet lots of great folks. Good place to meet people your age. You just have to do it. And I should add, what helps me deal with days that can be lonely, is taking D-3, B6 and B12, calcium and magnesium. I try to eat read so I have the energy to try and be upbeat daily. It does work.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:54 PM
Jim

Do try looking into the quilt guilds around your area...your LQS or county extension office (or even local churches) should know what guilds are around...We have a guild that is operated out of our Library here and WE LOVE IT. They even have FREE quilting classes each month..from beginners to advanced. I hope you find a friend locally soon..its so nice to be among those who like the same things you do.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:07 AM

I wish we had boards here for each state so people that are looking for quilting buddies or know of local deals could post there. That would be sweet.

I'm fortunate that I have found a few crafty people in town. It's really nice. I do hope that you all find a crafty companion..

What I did was search the board on my town and then I tried my state. I did find a few people here in the area that way.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:32 AM

Hang in there. I know it can be lonely. Before I joined this board, I had zero friends. I've gone to 2 meet and greets and have made friends with 2 wonderful women from here. I don't think age is a big deal, we all have quilting in common. Wondering how far you are from Chelsea?
Old 08-25-2011, 03:53 AM

I'm in Battle creek and like you by my self!!! But Have wonderful friends here!!!!
Old 08-25-2011, 04:11 AM

I know what u mean! Been here 20+ yrs. Disabled so cant run around shopping I think u r downstate Tho! We will just to hang out here !!