Did I hear you correctly?

Old 02-18-2012, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by jeaninmaine View Post
I'm from the Northeast, I make chicken gravy all the time, or beef gravy with a roast, turkey gravy with turkey or sausage gravy with biscuits. I've never made just brown or white gravy.
Ditto!! reminds me of a time at a buffet down south (Mississippi) - one of the choices of vegetables was a brown-green puree - I asked the staff what it was and got the reply - Squash. I asked, summer squash or winter squash? Got a strange look, "It's squash."
Between that and thinking the hominy was creamed corn, it was an interesting lunch.

But commenting on most of the posts, let's not forget that YOUR transaction is one of hundreds per day for the employee. If they normally ask "cream or sugar" when they hear the word coffee, chances are they will ask you even though you said black coffee.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:12 AM

What I find pitiful is when the bill is say $4.79, you give the person a $5 bill and then say, oh wait, let me give you some change and hand them the 4 cents so you'll get a quarter back. If they've already put in the $5, they have no clue how to make change for that. Sad!!!
Old 02-19-2012, 08:24 AM

I purchased 7 items at a grocery store and the girl asked me if I wanted a bag - I said yes please, I don't know how to juggle.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:26 AM

yrs ago DH and 2 of our worker GUYS went to a sit down restaurant the cute perky waitress comes and takes our orders-- we all ordered the usual burger/fries but I wanted the Swiss Mushroom burger on a plate NO BREAD well a bit later Perky comes out with the guys meals and leaves we figured she couldn't carry 4 plates at a time the guys are 1/2 finished and still no meal for me she ignores my attempts to get her attention but DH gets her attention 1st try when she comes to the table he asked her where my wifes lunch is -she replies ""Oh I thought she was kidding""does she really want it ? DH says lets go so we all head for the door -she runs after us with the bill and all 4 meals are on it -the manager heard all of this and he takes the bill and hands it to Perky and tells her that their lunch was on her.I wonder if she ever figured out what she did wrong and how many meals she bought for customers
Old 02-19-2012, 08:37 AM

years ago I was out shopping with my sister and decided to stop at local Bridgeman's for lunch. She ordered her hamburger first and I told the waitress I would have the same. My sister's lunch came and the waitress set a empty plate in front of me and walked away. We were craning our necks to see over the counter to make sure the burger hadn't slid to the floor while also trying to get the waitress' attention. before long we were looking for Allen Funt and the "Candid Camera" crew. We finally managed to snag another waitress and after she told us "this isn't my station" got her to listen to our dilemma. She rounded up our waitress who came back and profusely apologized. She thought i had said" just a plate" and thought we were going to share the burger. My burger was forthcoming and we were given a discount on the bill for the inconvenience.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:40 AM

Every time I go to a local sub shop and order a BLT they ask me if I want lettuce and tomato on it. Seriously??!!
Old 02-19-2012, 08:47 AM

No, you're not unusual. the gravies in restaurants are from packages, not from chicken broth. I think it's very rare these days to make gravy from 'scratch', hence, the packaging on the gravy packets is called brown or white.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:19 AM

My favorite is when I ask for an ice cream cone, and they ask if it is "for here or to go". I'd like to ask "does it really make a difference?"
Old 02-19-2012, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by LenaBeena View Post
This reminded my husband of the time we were eating at a nice restaurant and ordered chicken. The waitress asked what kind of gravy we wanted. I said ""Chicken gravy". She laughed and even called another waitress over to hear my reply. The second waitress said "Theres no such thing as chicken gravy", and laughed too. So I said "What type of gravy do you have?" They answered "Brown or white." I knew better than to question them any further so just agreed to white, assuming it was like milk gravy. It was, sort of. Next day I was telling this to several co-workers and they also had never heard of chicken gravy!!! Only one who was over 60 said she vaguely remembered her mother making it. I, my daughter, many friends, etc. make it all the time. Are we unusual?
No, my Mom growing up always made chicken gravy when we had fried chicken. I'm 64 but have only made it a few times as I don't make a lot of gravy cause of the calories!
Old 02-19-2012, 10:45 AM

Default So true!

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
they have so much noise going on there that they are probably deaf!!
Some degree of deafness is much more common than most of us are aware, and it's more serious than even some doctors realize. I can testify from personal experience that a hearing loss that is considered "slight" can be a major problem. The first thing to go for most people is high frequency sounds, which include for example, the letters "s", "f" and "th". If you have your word processor find and remove all those letter in a document and try to read it, you will see that it's not always easy to make sense, and it definitely slows you down. This is what it's like for a person to listen if they have a hearing loss, or even if they don't but are trying to function in an environment that is too noisy. Add to that the difficulty of coping with the deficient speakers at most drive-up windows and the problem that many of those workers have of taking the next order while speaking to the customer who is already at the window paying and asking for extra mustard or whatever. Still, what part of wanting bacon on you bacon burger or Coke in your Coke is hard to comprehend? I've learned to check my order before driving off because it's wrong quite often.

As an aside, if you have a child (or spouse) who doesn't seem to be listening, have his/her hearing tested by a professional audiologist associated with a medical doctor and take a good hard look at anything that is described as a "slight" loss.