Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Did you hear any screaming and crying from the NW >

Did you hear any screaming and crying from the NW

Did you hear any screaming and crying from the NW

Old 10-03-2010, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by hikingquilter
With teenagers (and I have had 7)just close the door to their room. It's their space. I had rules about no clothes in the bathroom and no food in the bedroom. Everybody did their own laundry by the time they were 12. And yes, if something is found where it shouldn't be, make it disappear! Believe me, they learn. Pick your battles and save your sanity.
I have to agree with this. My mom tried the whole buy back your crap thing and it was just very frustrating. I refused to buy it back and would sneak in and take it back... :) I see the point my mom was trying to make and I'm grateful for my mom, don't get me wrong, I love her very much!
Old 10-04-2010, 08:36 PM

I hear of so many parents that don't stick to what they say the punishment or the new rule is. My kids are grown and gone but have had to pay back every cent they misused or borrowed. They all own homes and have kids of their own that have to do the same thing. Didn't hurt anyone. I say charge em to get em back even if it is the last pair of undies. They can learn to wash them out!
Old 10-05-2010, 08:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Quiltforme
Today after threatening my kids I did it I packed up the clothes left on the floor the makeup on the counter the earings left on the floor and gave them to good will. (ok they are in my laundry room) but man I cannot believe how much crap they had thrown around. I mean really when they go into their bathroom they just sit on the pot take off clothes and leave them there. This has just recently started I warned them and well today I did it. Hopefully they will get it into their heads that their clothes are not my responsibility!!! Ok enough said how do you deal with Teens who do not clean up?? Was I wrong empty threats were not working what motherly words of advice can I get from you??
not at all ,you were right doing what you did.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:42 AM

You absolutely did the right thing. When they find out their things are gone and have a tantrum--just walk away. I was fortunate that my daughter was and still is a neat nick like me. GOOD LUCK. Keep us posted!!!
Old 10-05-2010, 12:01 PM

Once when the kids were younger, now 33 and 34, I was so tired of "where is this, where is that, I don't have any clean clothes, I can't find ..., when is dinner ready?, blah blah blah", I went on strike.
I picked up all the dirty clothes off their bedroom floors (and I am sure there were some clean clothes in there), and put them on their beds under their covers. I put everything else on the floors in there too. Was not a pretty site. When they came home from school, they thought I had cleaned their rooms until they realized what I had done. I explained if they were missing anything it was probably in their bed. Then I stopped washing their dishes, clothes, fixing their dinner. After a couple of days of wearing dirty clothes to school, I got a call from the teacher. After I explained myself, she asked me to not allow too smelly a garment to be worn for the sake of the others in class. I said that was up to my children not me. She got the point. My DH finally relented and apologized for his part or lack of, the kids relented and apologized, and from that day forward things in our household were much better. I am Mom, not maid, servant, or best friend to my child and not to be intimidated or bullied by said children. My kids tell me often how glad they are I was a 'mean' mother to them. I am still their Mom, but now we are friends. Ain't life grand?
Old 10-05-2010, 12:25 PM

I can tell you my kids rooms are spotless the laundry is done, bathroom is clean. I did not give their stuff back they had to earn it. My oldest was not happy we even told her that since she cannot take care of her responsibilities at home how can she be responsible at work. We told her she needed to give her boss 2 weeks notice it was then she understood we meant business. We worked with her boss and she understands that her school comes first. I just love when the owners are parents too. She loves my daughter and wants her to succeed so she is only working her 2 days a week and let me tell you her attitude is better and there is a peace in the house. Yes I hated the fact that it had to get this point but my kids thought of me as their friend and not their mom. I may be a stay at home mom (not by choice i have a back injury so most of my day is spent in bed on a heating pad taking meds.) but I don't get paid to be a maid. My kids have chores they are not that hard. dishes, room, garbage, counters and floors. Oh and vacuum. How is this hard they have been doing this for 7 years and still ask what they are supposed to do again and again. Now that they know they can lose out or pay for me to do their jobs. I have a cleaner house . I had no idea how this topic would lead and love all the advice!! Makes it so much easier.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:36 PM

I had a problem with mine doing chores. I threatened to put the garbage bags in their beds. The day they came home and found neatly tied, full garbage bags on top of their beds took care of the problem.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:13 PM

good job....Do you feel better now....at least you got their attention....
Old 10-08-2010, 08:29 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by postal packin' mama
A lady I worked with got so exaperated with her kids ignoring her pleas for them to pick up their clothes that she took a staple gun and stapled them to the floor, right where they'd dropped them!
I'm STILL laughing right out loud! This is priceless!!! Got to send this one to my DD, now 30, a doctor with a well-kept home and a DH in training!

Jan in VA :lol:
Old 10-27-2010, 09:45 AM

If all else fails just repeat over and over to yourself
"I am not legally obliged to feed and clothe them after the age of eighteen." Oh yeah and say it loud enough for them to hear you.