Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Did you hear any screaming and crying from the NW >

Did you hear any screaming and crying from the NW

Did you hear any screaming and crying from the NW

Old 10-27-2010, 09:54 AM

I remember this..boy, DO I remember the day when my Grandma finally got tired of telling me to pick up things. So, dear Grandma, sweeping up the funny papers in front of the fire place without her glasses, swept up and tossed into the fire a tightly packed bundle of colored Sunday papers, plus my beloved shirt that had cartoon pages printed on it, in color. That was MY shirt, bought with my own money. I loved to carry it around and read the comics over and over.

That's been nearly 70 years ago, but I remember it well. I had weeded a friend of Grandma's garden to make money to buy that darn shirt, I had seen it in the store and dreamed of it for a long time.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by sheila bee
Been there done that !!!!! Did't work for me they just hid them under the bed !!!!!
------------------------
We did that with our teens. The alarm clock was right outside my bedroom door, and I'm not very friendly when I've not had enough sleep. Each one had better turn off that clock before it woke me. And should I get up for a bathroom run and find the clock missing or re-set by another teen, then everybody got woke up and interrogated by a maddened Mom with steam coming out of her ears.
Actually, it wasn't needed much at all, they were basically real good kids. They did, of course, phone when they were going to be late, and once I grabbed an over coat and picked up a daughter who didn't know her date as well as she had thought.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:08 PM

I love this quote and have been using it!!!

Originally Posted by kellen46
If all else fails just repeat over and over to yourself
"I am not legally obliged to feed and clothe them after the age of eighteen." Oh yeah and say it loud enough for them to hear you.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:18 PM

I PICKED UP WHATEVER THEY HAD LEFT AROUND,PUT THEM IN A BOX...TO RETRIEVE EACH ITEM IT COST THEM A DOLLAR..I DID NOT CARE WHAT THE ITEM WAS...EVEN THEIR SCHOOL BOOKS......AT THE END OF THE MONTH WHATEVER HAD NOT BEEN RETRIEVED WENT TO GOOD WILL......DIDN'T TAKE LONG FOR THINGS TO CHANGE.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:39 PM

My daughter did that to her daughter a couple years ago.
She is now in the military and has thanked her mother for all she has taught her. She said it has really helped her.
Old 10-30-2010, 06:14 AM

My kids would leave things on their floor and drawers open so I would dump all of their drawers on the floor then they would have to redo them , they didnot do their laundry becaus my D would only put one thing to wash at a time when she wanted it.
Old 10-30-2010, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltforme
I can tell you my kids rooms are spotless the laundry is done, bathroom is clean. I did not give their stuff back they had to earn it. My oldest was not happy we even told her that since she cannot take care of her responsibilities at home how can she be responsible at work. We told her she needed to give her boss 2 weeks notice it was then she understood we meant business. We worked with her boss and she understands that her school comes first. I just love when the owners are parents too. She loves my daughter and wants her to succeed so she is only working her 2 days a week and let me tell you her attitude is better and there is a peace in the house. Yes I hated the fact that it had to get this point but my kids thought of me as their friend and not their mom. I may be a stay at home mom (not by choice i have a back injury so most of my day is spent in bed on a heating pad taking meds.) but I don't get paid to be a maid. My kids have chores they are not that hard. dishes, room, garbage, counters and floors. Oh and vacuum. How is this hard they have been doing this for 7 years and still ask what they are supposed to do again and again. Now that they know they can lose out or pay for me to do their jobs. I have a cleaner house . I had no idea how this topic would lead and love all the advice!! Makes it so much easier.
I would ask them if it was my clean or their clean you would be suprise it only took a couple of times and they would make sure it was done right plus they could not go any where if every thing was not done