Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Didn't see a post like this: What is the nicest/cutest inexpensive gift you got? >

Didn't see a post like this: What is the nicest/cutest inexpensive gift you got?

Didn't see a post like this: What is the nicest/cutest inexpensive gift you got?

Old 01-07-2010, 03:22 PM

The cutest thing I ever got was a pair of little blue
dragons kissing and their bodies formed the shape of a
heart. Hubby gave it to me several years ago.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:02 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by gramqlts
My daughter had a little book made up, about size of wallet photo....on cover was me holding my youngest granddaughter the day she was born (she turned 16 mo old today). It had about 12-15 pages in it and each page was another picture taken during her life to date, some with her older brother. The back page was taken week before Xmas and she was bundled up outside playing and was waving at me.....so cute. Loved it. I also got soft snuffy blanket (lap size) with huge picture on it of her and her big brother. I cried like a baby on both gifts.

aww, gramqults, I would have cried to!:wink:
Old 01-07-2010, 07:14 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by snoozigal
Oh I had to jump on this one! The cutest gift I received was a ceramic angel with a tea light & fragrance tart. It would have been my favorite gift EXCEPT I had given it to my dear daughter-in-law LAST Christmas and she'd never opened it!!! The only thing that saved her was the label on my gift said it was from the granddaughters. LOL!!!
:oops: LOL :!:
welcome snoozigal...not sure how you got your nick, but since I drop off to sleep, even at pc...that nick could fit me a lot of the time, lol! :mrgreen:
Old 01-07-2010, 07:17 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Catlady
That sounds very sweet, catlady!
I told hubby earlier that when we get some moolah, he has to buy me something little, too.
The diamond has come out of my engagement ring!
Been married 32 1/2 years, and almost never take it off, so I guess that proves I am a hard worker! :wink:
Old 01-07-2010, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by quiltncrazy
I told hubby earlier that when we get some moolah, he has to buy me something little, too.
Been married 32 1/2 years, and almost never take it off, so I guess that proves I am a hard worker! :wink:
It was sweet, made me cry too. He gave it to me at
Christmas with such a sappy sweet card I teared up. Every
now and then he gets me like that. We've been married for
25 years and he still thinks I'm beautiful! I'm not really but
he thinks I am and thats what counts. I hope I never lose
my diamond. Maybe yours will get you a new one soon!
Old 01-08-2010, 03:27 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltncrazy
It was sweet, made me cry too. He gave it to me at
Christmas with such a sappy sweet card I teared up. Every
now and then he gets me like that. We've been married for
25 years and he still thinks I'm beautiful! I'm not really but
he thinks I am and thats what counts. I hope I never lose
my diamond. Maybe yours will get you a new one soon!
My set was not expensive at all as we had a lot to do, when getting married. We had been saving every penny.
It was a very small diamond but appeared larger bc of the setting.
Never mattered to me though, but you can kind of tell it is missing, so I would like to replace it eventually.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:06 PM
Power Poster

It took me a while but I finally have an answer. Jim gave me a little snow globe with a sign that says I (heart) NY. I do love New York and when I heard the story of how he got it, I was even more impressed. I am sure they don't sell them here in Oklahoma. One of the higher-ups where Jim works went to New York and bought one for him. I thought it was sweet of BOTH of them.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:07 PM

Least expensive? Cutest? A pincushion that my sister has had for probably 30 years, that if she hadn't given it to me most likely would have been tossed when they moved the first part of December! Shirley knows I love old sewing notions and saved her for me. It's a ceramic or porcelien doll, the top of her hat is the pincushion, she has a place for a thimble and scissors...absolutely adorable and I love it! It was most likely a gift to her those many years ago...so it probably qualifies as the least expensive! ;)
Old 01-08-2010, 07:22 PM

I agree with everyone that homemade gifts are the most wonderful to receive, no matter if no cost or much. It's the love and effort and from children, the sweetness that makes those gifts so special. I'm having a very hard time downsizing all those. I've managed to save them in beautiful condition, even my grownup daughters' childhood drawings.

Now, I'm going to switch around your question to what inexpensive gifts did I give this year. You see, knowing DH and I are going through bankruptcy/losing our home (loss of my income+high medical costs+DH's dropped income), my wonderful family thoughtfully gave gifts that don't need to be packed and to give us some fun; we got tickets to the movies, a concert, Netflix... all big. Last year I made each of them a small, framed quilted landscape but did not have time this year to handmake gifts. They all said they didn't need gifts, but Giving at Christmas is sooo fun I just had to. So, here's my great idea that everyone really loved! I took many of my own books to some used-book stores where you can trade for up to 75% of value. Believe me, I spent hours searching for the perfect choices and spent very little. Considering I didn't make them their presents, I found a way to happily surprise them.... very fun.
I hope this gives someone a non-quilting gift idea.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:59 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Boston1954
It took me a while but I finally have an answer. Jim gave me a little snow globe with a sign that says I (heart) NY. I do love New York and when I heard the story of how he got it, I was even more impressed. I am sure they don't sell them here in Oklahoma. One of the higher-ups where Jim works went to New York and bought one for him. I thought it was sweet of BOTH of them.
I love this. Your DH had to really think about, "What does she really like? What would she think was cute - pretty - interesting?", and it didn't bother him as a man, to ask another man to do this. I'm with you, it was sweet of both of them! aww!:-D