Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Didn't see a post like this: What is the nicest/cutest inexpensive gift you got? >

Didn't see a post like this: What is the nicest/cutest inexpensive gift you got?

Didn't see a post like this: What is the nicest/cutest inexpensive gift you got?

Old 01-09-2010, 05:02 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Charlee
Least expensive? Cutest? A pincushion that my sister has had for probably 30 years, that if she hadn't given it to me most likely would have been tossed when they moved the first part of December! Shirley knows I love old sewing notions and saved her for me. It's a ceramic or porcelien doll, the top of her hat is the pincushion, she has a place for a thimble and scissors...absolutely adorable and I love it! It was most likely a gift to her those many years ago...so it probably qualifies as the least expensive! ;)
I just love this thread, and love these answers. I am so glad I asked.
Stories like this make me feel so sappy. Your right, if sis had not thought about how happy this little doll/pincushion would have made you, it might have disappeared later on.
What a great story, charlee.:-D
Old 01-09-2010, 05:07 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltswithdogs
I agree with everyone that homemade gifts are the most wonderful to receive, no matter if no cost or much. It's the love and effort and from children, the sweetness that makes those gifts so special. I'm having a very hard time downsizing all those. I've managed to save them in beautiful condition, even my grownup daughters' childhood drawings.

Now, I'm going to switch around your question to what inexpensive gifts did I give this year. You see, knowing DH and I are going through bankruptcy/losing our home (loss of my income+high medical costs+DH's dropped income), my wonderful family thoughtfully gave gifts that don't need to be packed and to give us some fun; we got tickets to the movies, a concert, Netflix... all big. Last year I made each of them a small, framed quilted landscape but did not have time this year to handmake gifts. They all said they didn't need gifts, but Giving at Christmas is sooo fun I just had to. So, here's my great idea that everyone really loved! I took many of my own books to some used-book stores where you can trade for up to 75% of value. Believe me, I spent hours searching for the perfect choices and spent very little. Considering I didn't make them their presents, I found a way to happily surprise them.... very fun.
I hope this gives someone a non-quilting gift idea.
I wish I had thought to pose my question this way to begin with quwdogs!
That was so sweet of you to trade in your books to get gifts for family! hugs!
I wouldn't have thought of this, simply bc I'm not sure where to trade books, but I bet my DH does. He loves to read old westerns and a few others, if he finds them interesting.
I don't want to be nosy, but you mentioned high medical along with losing your job, have you become disabled? If so, I know exactly where your at. Been years for me, but in your case DH is out of work too.
Bless your heart for going to so much trouble to give gifts to your family! hugs! What a special thing to do. I love your story. I pray that things get better for you all.:-)
Old 01-09-2010, 06:18 AM

Our nicest gift this year, however it was (is) very expensive. Our DD found out she is pregnant after 3 years of infertility treatments. They have already spent enough mony to put him through college. Actually we got two "nicest" gifts. The other is our "cutest" GD.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:58 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Olivia's Gramy
Our nicest gift this year, however it was (is) very expensive. Our DD found out she is pregnant after 3 years of infertility treatments. They have already spent enough mony to put him through college. Actually we got two "nicest" gifts. The other is our "cutest" GD.
yes, O's gramy, I would be shouting it too.
One of my DD's would have to have treatments if she decides to have any.
Yes, I see your cutie patootie all the time, and your are blessed!:wink:
Old 01-09-2010, 07:26 AM

quiltncrazy, I hope your DD doesn't have to endure all that my DD did. We believe that her baby is an answer to many, many prayers.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:26 AM

I have to tell you the best gift I gave. I was dirt poor and struggling single Mom. I had my sisters name for christmas. She loves Goofy from Mickey Mouse. I knew I had her all year so through out the year any time I found a goofy Item I would purchase it. Small things like a pen, pencil, stickers, magnets I even got a goofy clock that was brand new at a yard sale for $1. At Christmas I made up a poem about having a Goofy Christmas every Goofy Hour for 12 hours. All day Christmas day she got a Goofy present on the hour for 12 hrs. The family even had fun because every hour she was opening another goofy present. It made Christmas last all day and she loved it. I'll never forget that Christmas.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:04 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by karielt
I have to tell you the best gift I gave. I was dirt poor and struggling single Mom. I had my sisters name for christmas. She loves Goofy from Mickey Mouse. I knew I had her all year so through out the year any time I found a goofy Item I would purchase it. Small things like a pen, pencil, stickers, magnets I even got a goofy clock that was brand new at a yard sale for $1. At Christmas I made up a poem about having a Goofy Christmas every Goofy Hour for 12 hours. All day Christmas day she got a Goofy present on the hour for 12 hrs. The family even had fun because every hour she was opening another goofy present. It made Christmas last all day and she loved it. I'll never forget that Christmas.
What a positively great/fun idea, karie!
I love this suggestion so much:-D