Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
A different take on Enough Already >

A different take on Enough Already

A different take on Enough Already

Old 02-23-2011, 05:39 PM

There is one thing I do not like about this show. He gives people three options to get rid of their "stuff".

1. Keep
2. Trash
3. Donate

I think there should be a #4.

4. Sell

With the money she would have made from selling, she could have bought batting, thread, and things to help finish the quilts.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:33 PM

As I read these posts, I find it interesting that there are such divergent viewpoints...makes it interesting. My worst fear is that when I die my fabric will not end up being well utilized. I keep thinking, "Should I make a will for my fabric?" It was gut-wrenching to see Peter and the volunteers take her fabric away. But getting back to the show: IMHO, if there isn't balance, there is going to be a problem. If all her free time was spent sewing for QOV (a wonderful cause)and none on her family, that is out of balance. If her living room was totally full to the brim with fabric and no where to sit, that is out of balance. I have a darling GD and as much as I love quilting, if my home seemed unsafe for my kids to bring her to my house, you can bet I'd clean it up in a heartbeat! As much as we all love quilting, we have to strive for a bit of balance to keep everything sane. I truly believe that although the experience was rough on that poor woman, she did seem relieved to have everything taken care of when she couldn't do it herself.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:15 PM

I think this poor woman just got so overwhelmed she didn't know what to do and I think her daughter should have been more understanding, the daughter came across as being selfish. Her mom was trying to do a great thing and trying to please everyone but herself. This should be mom's time, and I wonder just how happy mom is now, she made the ultimate sacrifice. But will the daughter still come over??? or will she find something else to complain about. And what was her excuse for not helping her mom out.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:16 PM
Cyn

Originally Posted by np3
Good point on the garage. They treated it like she had an addiction and limited her on fabric space. It would have held all of the donated fabric. There was all this space left. And I'm sorry but the dust will get under that door when the wind blows. Not where I would want to quilt. The lighting over the bins looked good but what about where she will work? And temperature control? Plug-ins?

(Sorry Peter)
I agree!
Old 02-23-2011, 09:06 PM
Power Poster

Yikes
Old 02-23-2011, 10:07 PM
Power Poster

If that was my house it would have been cleared of a lot of clutter fast, all leaving on their own two legs.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:17 PM

I too did not see the show but went on Oprah.com and saw an excerpt from it. The first thing I noticed was the beautiful quilts the woman had made, then as soon as the daughter spoke I could not help but think of how selfish she sounded. She was more concerned about where in their mothers house they could come for dinner than her mother. The mother looked very sad and I felt so bad for her. Why couldn't they have made her a room in the house, on the main floor where it is warm and no stairs to contend with (like perhaps the spare bedrooms which I assume could be connected into one room). That way she could quilt, be happy and still have her family over. It is to bad her daughter couldn't think of her mothers happiness first. I am sure her mother gave up alot, happily, for her kids when she was raising them. Time for them to give back. Sorry, but I had to vent because just seeing the small portion of the show that I did really annoyed me.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:28 PM

Where does this lady live? I missed the program.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:36 PM

I did not see the program, however I can understand how a person could get so involed in fabric, books, patterns and quilting and quilting board. I have done everything for my parents and family for at least 50 years. when I worked for a corporation for 21 yrs, and said to myself " I wish I was home sewing". there comes a time where a person, like myself picks something they enjoy to top degrees and don't want to deal with ungreatful family things anymore and you just bury yourself in what you want to do and enjoy. I hope i have made sense. My DH is so good about my sewing and he is the one tha does understand this.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
If that was my house it would have been cleared of a lot of clutter fast, all leaving on their own two legs.
Good one!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: