dishware suggestions

Old 04-28-2011, 11:56 AM

I sold my wedding (1966) china (when my girls were young) and bought plain white Corelle wear. Figured why eat off plastic while good china sat in boxes. I am still using mine, my mother's and my grandmothers. They are great. When I want to dress up, I use fancy serving dishes. They do shatter when dropped on ceramic tile!
Old 04-28-2011, 01:25 PM

My daughter collects and uses Fiestaware all the time and loves it. I love Corelle and have had pure white for ages but recently got a set of white with red rings and drinkware with small red dots. I have gingham red flatware and love, love the way they all look together! For fancy, I have a collection of mix and match red transferware that I love too. Hooray for my red and white kitchen!
Old 04-28-2011, 02:55 PM

I had that (white) for years and finally got tired of trying to clean it. Got a different pattern and it did the same thing. Not sure if it's in their glaze or what. Got some inexpensive (cheap!) ironstone to use just for us, and they've been amazing. Fiesta is good. We sold a lot of that where I worked before. Food Network sells some at Khols that is white and nice too and open stock so you may just purchase the pieces you use.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:22 PM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

try a Mr. Clean eraser. and I agree; Correll (sp) is great. just keep in mind; tho almost indestructable when they break-they shatter in a million pcs. at least the one that I broke 20 yrs ago did. lol
Old 04-28-2011, 04:12 PM

Pfaltlgraf makes a cleaner that removes the marks left by flatware on the surface of their dishes. I have had mine for more than 30 years and am so ready for new dishes!
Old 04-28-2011, 04:24 PM

I have had the Pfaltzgraph Yorktown dishes for more than 40 years. In their literature, they say not to leave your flatware resting on the dishes, especially when sitting in the sink after using them. Over the years, I have picked up extra pieces both at their factory outlet stores (often seconds) and at yard sale and thrift stores. I cannot tell which are from the original set and which were added later. Now, if only I could find the cake pan I thought I bought!
Old 04-28-2011, 04:52 PM

I had the Yorktowne pattern of Pfaltzgraf for over 30 years. I don't need anywhere near the number of place settings that I had, so I gave them to my daughter-in-law 3 years ago. She was thrilled to get them. Yes, they get black marks on them sometimes, but I just occasionally used Bon Ami on them. There is a cleaner made especially for Pfaltzgraf, but I never tried it. You can get it from www.pfaltzgraf.com.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:23 PM

I have Corelle and love it too!
Old 04-28-2011, 05:56 PM

Corelle is the best. I have gone through so many sets of dishes until I started using these. They are thinner and take up less space. Clean up nice. I have only broken two plates(those on accident) but I have purposely dropped them on the floor just to scare people(which is really fun to just see the look on their face).

The great thing is that they can be tossed in the sink on top of each other without chipping or breaking which is really nice. I have three kids and my youngest is three and he isn't so gentle with them.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by fraydknot12326
The only thing I've found harmful to Corelle Ware is a concrete floor! The don't bounce .. :D
You are so right...LOL :) I have a set of Correlle dishes for about 30 yrs and they are great.. except when they hit the concrete...:)