Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do you babysit your grandchildren? >

Do you babysit your grandchildren?

Do you babysit your grandchildren?

Old 01-07-2011, 07:30 PM

When we all lived in the same state, I would watch the grands every other weekend so the parents could have some time to themselves. Then they moved out of state and whenever I go over to visit them, I still send the parents out for a nite so they can enjoy an evening together and the kids & I have a blast ...All 3 of my lovely angels are from one family. I truly miss them, I do text the oldest one and call her as well as calling the rest of the family as often as possible !
Old 01-07-2011, 07:34 PM

As a granny of 5, I say "cherish" every moment you can with your granddaughter. They grow up so very fast. Yes, I raised 2 children with my hubby & no one helped us out with them. Our son has 3 daughters all born in January, soon to be ages 9 & identical twin girls that will be 6. Our daughter's twins will turn 5 next month. Yes, 2 sets of twins just 13 months apart. I will never forget the days when we had newborns, toddlers, & a preschooler here at our home. BUT I cherish those memories as the youngest twins will be going to school this coming August. Every other Saturday, I have 5 grandchildren here. WOW... keeping them occupied in the winter months is now the challenge...but they are all pretty well behaved & they know the rules at papa & nana's house!
Old 01-07-2011, 07:37 PM

Until they grew up and went on with life I did. One bit of unasked for advice....to beable to go shopping. etc. get your own carseat and stroller.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:30 PM

When my grandaughter was born we started watching her 4 days a week from 2:00 to 6:00 for her 1st year. Then whenever her parents went skiing on the weekends we had her all weekend. It went so fast and we don't regret a moment of it. She is now 5 and still the light of our lives. You will have a strong bond with her and you won't be sorry :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 01-07-2011, 08:42 PM

I have read somewhere that 93% of grandparents are taking care of their grandkids and about 3% is getting compensation for it. Eleven years ago my daughter gave me my first grandchild, a boy, i took care of him from 3 mos, and still do when he is not in school. My daughter divorced his father when my grandson was 2 1/2 years old. I have to fight to get him, and I miss him so much. We are sooooo very close because of all the time we spent together, he lives with his dad and his dads girlfriend an hours drive away.We take him camping every summer and holidays are a free for all because we never know if we will see him. I am so glad I was able to take care of him, I don't what I would do without him. My youngest son has two little boys 21mos. and 3 1/2 mos. and I take care of the 10 hours a day five days a week. I have soooo much fun. I wouldn't change my life for anyone or anything just so I can be with my grandsons. Cherish your time with your grandchildren if you are able, the rewards are so great, just to hear them laugh and knowing they are not in day care and being mistreated. So sorry I could go on and on. I am soooo very blessed
Old 01-07-2011, 08:54 PM

I don't keep mine full time but as you can see, we are very close. They spend Friday or Saturday nights with us alot and live in the same town so it's very handy. My husband goes to their house every morning to wait with the 2 younger ones (girl 9 and boy 7) for the schoolbus as Mom and Dad and big brother have to leave earlier. It is their special time together and he better not ever forget that Friday is donut day! He was sick today so I got to do bus duty. What a joy.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:59 PM

I have 8 grandkids and I have never been their primary daycare. I love them all, but.....I have taken them to pre-school and picked them up, and on school vacation I have had them and when my son-in-law was very ill, I was with them for about 4 months. However, I don't want to be the caregiver who has to make them mind, I want to be the grandma who spoils them rotten.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by samifel
I have 8 grandkids and I have never been their primary daycare. I love them all, but.....I have taken them to pre-school and picked them up, and on school vacation I have had them and when my son-in-law was very ill, I was with them for about 4 months. However, I don't want to be the caregiver who has to make them mind, I want to be the grandma who spoils them rotten.
That's exactly the way I like it.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:15 PM

Enjoy them while you can. Life is short and not as predictable as we'd like to believe.

This is bonding time, as many have pointed out. The grands will love you and have wonderful memories, as will you.

Have had two grandkids live with me for several years, and loved every second of it. I miss them terribly, as their parents moved to other states. They come for a few weeks in summer and we have a great time.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:19 PM

In my opinion, the quilting, housework and errands can wait. There is nothing in the world that would stop me from watching my grandchildren if possible. My granddaughter lives in Florida and I am in Massachusetts, so it is painful for me to not be there.

I watched my three nephews for years. Not every day, but always a minimum of 3 days per week, and I loved every minute of it, got nothing done, but had incredible love and joy in my life daily. There is just nothing in the world that can replace it.

I took a night job so I could watch them and it kept me broke, but still no regrets.

The most important thing to me is that they were safe with me. I loved them dearly, disciplined them with love, and never had to worry that someone would do them wrong.

At one point, my bro decided the youngest needed time at day care. Each time I picked him up, he was upset, so I started to get there sooner. His parents were sure he was just being stubborn, but I truly knew this kid was not comfortable with strangers and needed to feel secure with family. I finally convinced them I would get him socialized with other children if they would just leave him with me instead, and it worked, much to my relief. He is a very happy and fun child, but security is at the forefront with him and he loved having friends come to his house and I got to enjoy watching him blossom.

When they don't need you anymore, it is awful, but at least you have plenty of time for housework, errands and quilting!

Diane