Do you grow daylilies?

Old 09-04-2011, 09:53 AM

Daylilies by nature are short lived, they only bloom for a day or so. Different varieties bloom at different times. As soon as they are done blooming, I pull the dead leaves away & many of my day lilies are blooming a 2nd time now. Stella Dora variety which are yellow keep blooming all summer.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:57 AM
Jim

Daylilies love being divided....rule of thumb for them is 1st year they sleep...2nd year they creep..third year they leap...they dont require much at all in form of fertilization...and seem to thrive on neglect most of the time...I have over 150 colors and keep going back each year to the daylily farm to get more...flowers and fabric are my addiction and I am not willing to look for a 12 step program
Old 09-04-2011, 10:10 AM

I am in your climate zone and have no trouble with mine. They stop blooming and some of the edges turn brown as the summer ends. I just cut mine all back to about 6 inches for the winter and they come back with a vengence! I haven't yet seperated them in 5 years. Maybe next summer...LOL
Old 09-04-2011, 10:32 AM

I never do anything to mine except cut them back in the Fall. This is the time of the year they start to die back. They will be fine.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:51 AM

Agree with many posts... divide this time of year and give some away to some friends or spread them out to a new area of the yard. They're wonderful plants to have and to give away, too!
Old 09-04-2011, 11:11 AM

I have the Asian ones and the tiger day lilies. They both thrive at my house. I never fertilize them especially the tiger type ones. The Asian ones don't get a chance to fizzle out they get moved a lot...my addiction I guess....lol...
Old 09-04-2011, 11:19 AM

I have good old fashioned ditch or school lilies - the orange one. Can't kill them.
Don't know about the prettier ones. Got some this year will see how they do next year.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:21 AM

Mine require dividing every few years. After dividing they are a bit slow, then the next year spectacular again!
Old 09-04-2011, 12:31 PM

Could someone explain to a new gardener ( garden came with the house) how to divide them and what was meant by letting them dry out. Also what do you mean by pulling the leaves?

Do I do the same with Iris.. When do I plant crocus & daffodils and myrtle.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by jeaninmaine
Could someone explain to a new gardener ( garden came with the house) how to divide them and what was meant by letting them dry out. Also what do you mean by pulling the leaves?

Do I do the same with Iris.. When do I plant crocus & daffodils and myrtle.
What happens with iris, daylillies, anything like that is they grow more roots, bulbs, corms, whatever they "use" underground over the years to spread. It looks like one big bulby root ball, all connected together. Where you separate the bundle into smaller bundles, you're going to cut or break away sections. That raw end can get mushy if you just put it back in the ground. It's gotta heal itself a little bit so the moisture from the plant isn't weeping out. Some plants are more tolerant than others, I just let each type air out a little.

Irises, you just dig up and send the surplus to ME!!! :D :D :D

Any of those early flowering things like crocus, tulip, daffodil can be planted in the fall for spring blooms. If something happens where you don't get to it, you can store them in the fridge for a few weeks, by themselves, and then plant them early spring. They need that cold spell to bloom.

Happy gardening!