Do you grow daylilies?

Old 09-05-2011, 04:21 AM

You can do almost anything the daylillies at any time of year without any ill effects. I have found that it is easier to divide anything in the Spring, though, because of the smaller size of the plant and less foliage to be dealt with. Established daylillies can be a chore to divide. Best method that works for me is one person to help and two pitchforks. If doing it by yourself, a cutting spade makes quick work of it. Just be sure you're using clean tools.
Old 09-05-2011, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by meemersmom
Best method that works for me is one person to help and two pitchforks. If doing it by yourself, a cutting spade makes quick work of it. Just be sure you're using clean tools.
I have used a hand axe on some clumps with no ill effects.
Old 09-05-2011, 04:56 AM

' I have used a hand axe on some clumps with no ill effects'

Me too although I usually use an old steak knife that I keep with my gardening tools. I've have many colors and types over the 50 years I've lived here and the tall orange ones you see along the roads in the East have outlasted them all, they seem to be native to my area. Every 3-5 years I would dig them up, divide them and transplant or give away the new plants, Sept. is a good time to do this in the East. Very hardly plants, I threw a bare root one on top of my compost pile and after a cold and snowy Winter it bloomed in the Spring.

'Stella D'Ora's are a little different than most daylilies, they are a shorter plant and their yellow flowers bloom several times over the summer.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:02 AM

From a "almost neighbor" (near Syracuse). It took me several years to plant daylillies in our side yard along a small creek -- if they ever need to be separated and divided, I'll shoot myself!!!! I can't keep up with the yard work now..........
Old 09-05-2011, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by grocifer
From a "almost neighbor" (near Syracuse). It took me several years to plant daylillies in our side yard along a small creek -- if they ever need to be separated and divided, I'll shoot myself!!!! I can't keep up with the yard work now..........
This reminded me how great these plants can be. My son had a narrow 12" strip of dirt between the house & drive that always seem to flood & turn to mud. I planted orange day lilies there and the water problems stopped. They are still there - still stopping the flooding mud even though they've been cut back numerous times.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:40 AM

Yep. sounds like they need to be divided. Like Jim in Bardstown, KY I collect both fabric and daylilies, but my number of different varities is only 58. Daylilies are tough and you just can't kill them. So, get out your shovel, pry bar and axe if you have one and dig, pry and dig. Lift that clump out of the ground. Wash as much soil out of the clump and start whacking so that you get at least two fans per division. Do let them dry overnight and then plant. I have dug out clumps before and never got them divided, just set them on the ground and they rooted where I put them. Reminds me that I have to add digging, dividing and planting daylilies to my chore list.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:47 AM

Ours petered out this year. Disappointing but they have provided years of beauty. I think they just got tired.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:05 AM

My question is, "Do deer like them?" Or are they concidered "deer resistant." Where I live, deer are all around us.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:11 AM

at this time of the year here in Illinois, they generally do look old and worn out. But when spring comes, they look terrific. I have had daylilies for years and years, never have they not bloomed in spring and summer.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:18 AM
Power Poster

Regarding deer, I thought this website gave some interesting insight:
http://www.loudounwildlife.org/HHBac...feDownside.htm