Do you grow daylilies?

Old 09-04-2011, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by donnajean
Daylilies by nature are short lived, they only bloom for a day or so. Different varieties bloom at different times. As soon as they are done blooming, I pull the dead leaves away & many of my day lilies are blooming a 2nd time now. Stella Dora variety which are yellow keep blooming all summer.
The Stella Dora , come in a red, or purple, or pink now. They are great !
Old 09-04-2011, 01:13 PM

My mother, an avid gardener, used to say that she didn't know of anything you could do to a daylily that would kill it. I would go ahead and transplant it. Even if it starts to look bad I will bet it will be back in the Spring. Ann in TN
Old 09-04-2011, 01:49 PM

Thanks Rebecca. These are weird Irises. The leaves aren't too high but the flowers are about 45 inches off the ground and they're a lot smaller flowers than the irises I'm used to seeing. But the hummingbirds and the bees loved them this spring. If you'd like some, I'd be happy to send some to you if I can figure out how.

It was funny because we weren't sure if they were a plant or a weed, my hubby wanted to pull them up but I figured let everything grow to see what it was. We have tall black eyed susans and shorter ones, the irises and a few coneflowers in that section. I'd like to plant some myrtle and crocus and other small flowering plant throughout the front yard which is mostly wild strawberries (which are great - no maintenance) with a little hay or something on the edges. I'd like to have it all flowers and wild strawberries, both my hubby and I are getting older and I don't want something that will have to be to mowed constantly or very vigorously maintained. we're thinking about throwing out a bunch of wildflower seeds and planting some real strawberries and a small veggie garden.
Old 09-04-2011, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by LAB55
Originally Posted by donnajean
Daylilies by nature are short lived, they only bloom for a day or so. Different varieties bloom at different times. As soon as they are done blooming, I pull the dead leaves away & many of my day lilies are blooming a 2nd time now. Stella Dora variety which are yellow keep blooming all summer.
The Stella Dora , come in a red, or purple, or pink now. They are great !
Where do you find these new Stella Dora? Haven't seen them in my area. From a Marylander transplanted into a Hoosier. LOL!
Old 09-04-2011, 02:21 PM

Mine were planted a dozen bulbs at a time, over a few year stretch, about 8-12 years ago. I divided them after 4 years and they were gorgeous. Should have done it this year and didn't and they had no bloom, although the foliage is lovely.

In my zone (6), daylilies can be divided spring or fall. I think I have a job this month if I want a riot of color next year.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:02 PM
Jim

JEANINMAINE...you actually may have some Japanese Iris or something similar...possibly even Peacock orchids. Daylilies can be divided or transplanted almost anytime but the perfect time for them is after they have bloomed and right before they start a resting season....
which is usually last of July until the first of August. (Per my daylily buddies bith of whom our daylily farms...combined farms of over 20,000 daylilies) You can take a spade or a sharp knife and break the clump of daylilies into smaller pieces...let the divisions dry for a few days before replanting to heal or cuts scab over.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:58 AM

Mine are doing fine, even thru the drought. I have them all in the late afternoon shade as Arkansas gets so dang hot. The one I left in the sun is dead, dead,dead. I've had mine for 20 years and divided once. Now I have smaller plants growing next to the "mama" so I will divide them this fall and replant in March. At least thats how I do it.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:00 AM

Mine are doing fine, even thru the drought. I have them all in the late afternoon shade as Arkansas gets so dang hot. The one I left in the sun is dead, dead,dead. I've had mine for 20 years and divided once. Now I have smaller plants growing next to the "mama" so I will divide them this fall and replant in March. At least thats how I do it.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:39 AM

mine bloom in the spring

Its time for them to die down
Old 09-05-2011, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by quilter41
I never do anything to mine except cut them back in the Fall. This is the time of the year they start to die back. They will be fine.
You are right. You leave them alone, except for the division of the plants. I quarter mine at dividing time, keep one quarter, share the rest otherwise they will grow like crazy - note the day lilies on the sides of the road - they are huge.

There are early bloomers, mid-bloomers and late bloomers, so you can have them in bloom practically all summer long. I pick off the spent flowers (every day - they're day lilies and they last a day) and cut down the stem when all the flowers are spent. You don't want energy from the bulbs going anywhere else except the bulbs and the leaves. I cut them back in September when I divide them (if necessary). The leaves get a tad straggly and this way also you are centering the energy to the bulbs at this time. Yes, they do last forever. Have you ever gone to the compost area that the cities have and you see piles and piles of day lilies that are thrown out. Take a couple of little clumps and plant them and see what you get next spring. You may have a real sweetheart of a lily. I have one that blooms before the tulips, a deep yellow and is only about 2" across. It is my pride and joy! Got it from a neighbor who didn't realize what a little treasure she had. You can also sell them at neighborhood plant sales in the spring and fall. We have those here in our area. Boy there are a lot of lilies and Hostas. (I am not a hosta fan)!
Beautiful weather here this week, so our lilies are going to get a good cutting back now. Good gardening!!!!! Edie