Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do you have a memory that is triggered by a tv show? >

Do you have a memory that is triggered by a tv show?

Do you have a memory that is triggered by a tv show?

Old 08-01-2010, 05:55 AM

I was so hooked on Dallas that I would turn down invitations to go out with friends on Friday nites so I wouldnt miss JR. lol Don't know why I just didn't video it---dahhh. Was just something about seeing it 'in person' lol
Old 08-01-2010, 06:39 AM

I am in my 70s. On Channel 2, sponsored by Maxwell House Coffee, was a show called "I Remember Mama" starring Peggy Wood.
As a young girl I remember watching this show faithfully with my Mom and Sister.
I do wish they would bring it back on the air. It was really a very valuable family show.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:40 AM

The wonderful thing about Red Skelton was that he NEVER used a curse word and NEVER put anything prejudice or biased in his humor.
Did you know that he has written many books, plays and music scores? There are hundreds of them from what I understand!
Old 08-01-2010, 06:52 AM

I guess I remember Red Skelton every time I use my computer. My boyfriend and husband of 56 years gave me my nickname of Clem because I loved Clem Cadiddlehopper, a character Red played. We both loved that show, have videos of the old ones. Good clean humor!!
Old 08-01-2010, 07:12 AM

I loved those pigeon pieces he used to do!!!!! I think they were called Gertrude and Heathcliff.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready
I used to rush home from school to watch Dark Shadows. That had to be the most low budget, worst show of all times but I loved it. I remember when the one actress's skirt actually caught on fire and "behind the scenes" people came scurrying out to put it out, seeing the wrinkles in the tarp that was supposed be the ground in the cemetery. The on fire woman didn't get hurt, she went on to be one of Charlie's Angels--the original. I don't remember her name but she was the one with straight dark hair.
OMGosh, I had exactly the same memory. My mother didn't allow us to watch it but my 2 sisters and I managed to sneak it in everyday right after school. Also, one time when my kids were little they started yelling to come watch this cool new show on Nick, "It's so cool mom, it is in black and white" they said. when I walked in the LR they were watching Mr Ed, imagine their surprise when I started singing along to the song!! They didn't believe that I watched it when I was little.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Rhonda
When I watch Bewitched I feel and remember that 16yr old(me) laying on the couch eating tuna salad and saltines watching Bewitched after school every day!
Does it to me every time! I am transported back in time if only in my mind! LOL I can almost taste the tuna when I hear the song start! LOL

Anybody else have any similar experiences??
Does any one remember watching the Disney Movie of the week every Sunday night. Always had to have our baths early and claim our comfy spots in the living room, and always saved our snack for movie time!
Old 08-01-2010, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by ksea
Originally Posted by Rhonda
When I watch Bewitched I feel and remember that 16yr old(me) laying on the couch eating tuna salad and saltines watching Bewitched after school every day!
Does it to me every time! I am transported back in time if only in my mind! LOL I can almost taste the tuna when I hear the song start! LOL

Anybody else have any similar experiences??
Does any one remember watching the Disney Movie of the week every Sunday night. Always had to have our baths early and claim our comfy spots in the living room, and always saved our snack for movie time!
Sure do, they were always family oriented and also, tv sets didnt run notstop like they do now. I turn mine on in the morning and off at nite- whether I watch it or not.
TV sets were not a babysitter , rather entertainment
Old 08-01-2010, 10:49 AM

I watched "My Big Fat Greek Wedding"last night and cried thru most of it. My dad's name was Gus and we had huge bbQ's in our back yard with all of the relatives, drank Ouzo and"ompah'd" all night. Dad solved all problems with Windex and later "409". Statues, Yes and everything stemmed from the Greeks. Yes, we are a Greek Family.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:28 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Originally Posted by hobo2000
I watched "My Big Fat Greek Wedding"last night and cried thru most of it. My dad's name was Gus and we had huge bbQ's in our back yard with all of the relatives, drank Ouzo and"ompah'd" all night. Dad solved all problems with Windex and later "409". Statues, Yes and everything stemmed from the Greeks. Yes, we are a Greek Family.
I watched it too. I love that movie. Kind of makes me wish my family was Greek.